Breastfeeding

Help! Plugged ducts

I tried hot shower, hot towel,
And nursing but it is still here. It is been whole day. I am afraid it gets worse. Any tips please! Thank you!

Re: Help! Plugged ducts

• What worked for me when I've had plugged ducts is using a heating pad prior to nursing and applying compression/massage to the area of the plugged ducts when nursing.   

Also, taking Lecithin supplements also helps treat (recurrent) plugged ducts.  https://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/lecithin/

Hope it clears up for you soon!
    Me, 41; DH 38; TTC since July 2012, 1st round of Clomid, BFP on 10/19, what an incredible blessing!  M/c on 7w3d; D&C on 11/30; 4th round of Clomid 100mg = BFP on 04/19!!! M/c #2 at 7w; D&C on 5/30, then repeat D&C on 7/1.  Saline u/s on 8/2, uterus looks great!  Will start TTC in 09/13 w/ Clomid 100mg. Surprise natural BFP on 8/25!!! Beta #1=95, #2=182, #3=404!  EDD 5/4/13...Grow baby grow!

• Ive had two plugged ducts in the last three weeks. I get in the shower frequently and massage the painful area and heat wet towels in microwave to as hot as I could stand.. I also massage while she is BF. Lots of massage and heat helped mine. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I've had two so far (one on each side!) The first LO got out because I texted my husband to let her get a little hungry so we could nurse as soon as I got home from work. I've read the stronger suck they have from being hungrier helps, and it did.

The second wasn't as far gone as the first. I put some dry rice in some knee high socks that I didn't mind sacrificing and microwaved it for 30 seconds. I used it as a compress, and pumped as soon as it got cold. Rinsed and repeated twice, and all felt well. I think it helped that the rice made the compress able to conform to whatever shape I needed it in. Might have gone faster if I turned up the pump settings, but didn't want to chance discomfort for nothing.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage  
  • ejb23ejb23 member
    Dangle feed plus all of the other advice. I usually did a hot shower with massage then put LO on the bed and got on all 4s above her to nurse. It is weird but worked

-My step-daughter is 12 years old.

-BFP #1 on 9/2/12, D&C 10/18/12 no heartbeat on US @ 10 weeks.

-BFP #2 on 1/7/13, R was born on 9/22/13 via C-Section

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you all! I think it is graduating clearing up.
  • Luckily I've only had one in the past year of breastfeeding but what helped me was a lot of hot compresses and hand expressing! Hope it clears soon with minimal discomfort.
  • Also dangle fed for quite a while which was the only thing that helped a bad one. Small plugs I can usually get out with compress, massage and continuing normal feeds
  • Hi! i had plugged ducts 3 times with my first child and then two mastitis! with my second when i recognized the plugged duct i used Silverette as a preventative measure as per my LC and it was great! no mastitis again! also i used hot compresses and hand expressing, if you see the skin starts getting red or warm call the doctor!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"