Multiples

Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD) anyone? / Recommend a pregnancy support belt?

I'm 34 + 4 with di di twin girls and my SPD has kicked into high gear. The pain can be excruciating and at times it is hard to walk. It is almost impossible to sleep. Anyone been through this? Any tips? My doctor has prescribed some pain meds (to take sparingly) and advised a pregnancy support belt, which brings me to my second question - anyone have one they can recommend? 

I hate to complain about this as I'm so grateful my girls are still cooking, but man it's painful!
Me - 35. DH - 40. TTC #1 since 9/2010. 
IUI #1-2 BFN
IUI #3 BFP = C/P
IUI #4-6 BFNs
IVF #1 Lupron and Gonal F: 29R 29M 28F
2 blastocysts transferred 12/14/13
Beta at 9dp5dt = 285; Beta at 12dp5dt = 925
It's twins! EDD 9/2/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD) anyone? / Recommend a pregnancy support belt?

• I have this too and some days it's a struggle to walk. I had to call labor and delivery because it freaked me out, lol. I thought i was going to have to crawl into my kid's preschool to get them. I did not have this with my singletons. My doc did tell me it's completely normal, especially with twins and subsequent pregnancies. I have one support belt but I find it sweaty and uncomfortable. Pelvic rest and limited lifting and sudden movements helps. No real advice but I feel your pain!
  • I don't have SPD but I did buy two belts (one a couple months ago, one yesterday).  First one I bought was this one from Amazon: I bought it because I was feeling a lot of pressure and tightening when I was walking.  This was cheap so I thought it'd be worth a try.  It does the job but wasn't very comfortable when I was sitting and putting it back on every time I got up was a hassle.

Yesterday because I've been having contractions, (only 26w6d today) my nurse recommended I get a belt.  She suggested this one from Belly Bandit and I went to a local store to try it on and bought it.  Although according to their sizing I'm a small, (I'm petite, 5'3" and 110lbs pre pregnancy) I ended up buying the medium since I knew I'd be growing out of small pretty fast.  I've been wearing it yesterday and today and it is more comfortable than the mini cradle although it's wider.  

Hope your girls bake in a bit more and your pain is manageable!
    6 failed IUIs, 1 laparoscopy = stage 3 endometriosis
    IVF in February a success!
    EDD with twins 10/29

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I got SPD with my singleton at 17 weeks, and with my twins it started even earlier. It isn't as painful yet. The thing that really helped was physical therapy. I know you're getting close to being done, but it was my saving grace. My neighbor who had it found success with a chiropractor. If/when those don't work, I'll also try to incorporate acupuncture. It can work miracles.

I am so sorry, it really is the worst. 
  • Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and advice. I'm not quite sure why but the acute pain has really calmed down. I haven't had to take any pain meds since Friday. I asked my doctor and he seemed to think it was normal for it to wax and wane like this, but it seems kind of weird especially since my babies and I are getting bigger every day - stretching the joint more. Who knows. For the time being I am just grateful the pain has gotten better.

I really appreciate your support @YellowHope, @Loue0709, @12bailey18 !
    IUI #1-2 BFN
    IUI #3 BFP = C/P
    IUI #4-6 BFNs
    It's twins! EDD 9/2/14

• @xtina78, mine has also calmed down! It only really hurts when I roll over in bed, put on pants, etc. I can definitely walk again, lol. I was so afraid it was going to be that painful for the next 2 months! Here's hoping the pain stays away for us. :)
  • Glad to hear yours calmed down as well @12bailey18 - what a relief! Mine is similar -  bad when I roll over in bed and also at night if I lie on one side for too long. Fingers crossed it will continue to be manageable for both of us!
    IUI #1-2 BFN
    IUI #3 BFP = C/P
    IUI #4-6 BFNs
    It's twins! EDD 9/2/14

• Definitely having similar issues as some of you ladies. It really ony bothers me at night when I toss and turn and first thing in the morning when I try and walk. I have started to see a chiropractor and am having less pain since going.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"