3rd Trimester

Rapid Weight Gain & Headaches.

I am 27 weeks and 1 day today with my first pregnancy, and for the last week I've had a terrible headache that won't quit.  My Ob called in a prescription for Fioricet last week, which seems to be helping but not totally reliving the headache.  I finally was squeezed in today to be checked out, since having a headache this long seems odd.  As of 2 weeks ago I had gained 11 lbs, but in the last 2 weeks I gained 15 lbs (totaling 26 lbs).  No changes in diet or activity level.  In addition there is some swelling in my hands and feet, I know that swelling is a normal pregnancy symptom, but no one at the office seemed concerned about the combination of the symptoms.  They moved my glucose test to the end of next week, gave me more refills on my prescription and sent me home. I know I am a little jumpy since this is my first, but I wish they would take me seriously! Has anyone else had this happen? And any suggestions for how to approach the issue with the Ob next week?  Thank you for all your help! 

Re: Rapid Weight Gain & Headaches.

• Have you taken your Bp? If that is in the normal range I would chalk the weight gain up to the swelling. I gained 8 lbs in one week, but I was really swollen at that appt. next weeks appt I dropped 5 of it and my ankles looked almost normal again. Drink lots of water. I get sinus headaches a lot that only a combo of benedryl and Tylenol will get rid of.

photo 63d081b2-beb9-4486-ae4e-de648860b72c_zpsa8e37ee8.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Not to scare you, but I had very similar symptoms and was also told it was fine.  At 30w6d it was not fine anymore...I had severe Pre-e and ended up abrupting and delivering my daughter by emergency c-section.  My blood pressure was never super high, but it climbed slowly over a few weeks until the day I delivered when it was around 170/117.  Just get your BP checked and start there.  Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • I've always been told by my practice that if I was worried about Pre-E and had some symptoms (the headaches, swelling, etc) that no one would ever be angry or judgmental if I called L&D to see if they thought I should come get checked(or if I was super scared just went up). Better safe than sorry is my motto when it comes to this.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My blood pressure has always been super low. And I mean during regular checkups they usually ask me if I pass out a lot!  My mothers is the same way.  It has slowly climbed up during pregnancy, which they said was normal. And it is still in the normal range.  I just fear that being in the normal range is not normal for me.  I have another appointment on Friday for my glucose screening test, and I am seeing a different doctor in the practice, since my OB is full.  Hopefully I can have them pull up my blood pressure from all my previous visits and get it checked out.  The hubs says I'm just being paranoid since it is the first time.  Thank you for all of your advice and caring.  It makes me feel so much better that other people understand, and care.  Have a wonderful weekend everyone! 
  • Thank you!  As this is my greatest fear, would you mind letting me know how everything went with the baby? I'm just so scared she won't be ready. 
  • Have you gotten your BP checked? 

Seriously, I'd just go to Walgreens/WalMart/etc where you can go and sit down and check it yourself. Like, today. Like, if you are still very swollen/headache/rapid weight gain, NOW. Definitely don't wait until Friday!  Sit down for a few minutes before you check it and maybe take it once or twice- if it is much different at all from what it has been, I'd call the doc ASAP, and explain that all these symptoms are recent and progressing.

How much water are you drinking? I know it sounds counterintuitive, but the body will retain water (causing swelling) if you are not drinking enough (that is how it protects itself against dehydration.)
    So, if you are drinking enough, you should normally see swelling go down. Find a nice water bottle with measurements on it, and keep track of how much you are drinking (I try for 3liters+/day). That can certainly help with swelling!

I don't want to scare you, but as others have said, hypertension is not something to mess with, particularly during pregnancy.

Happily married since 2009
    Roo, 8y
    Birdie, 4y
    Jem, 3y
    Vee, 1y
    Baby Bee DUE April 2018

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"