July 2014 Moms
Options

helloblueeyes's birth story

Labor started Saturday night at about 10pm. 

Side note: Coincidentally i had chicken parmigiana for dinner, lol.  

I had been having cramping and random mild contractions for a couple hours and finally at around 10 they were getting to be in a noticeable pattern. They were about every 7 to 10 min for about an hour and a half before picking up to every 3 to 5 min. I could still mostly walk and talk through them but they had started getting more intense. Got in the shower at midnight hoping to see if they would taper off or if this was the real deal. I was still partially in denial. 

Contractions were steady at 4 min apart and when i called L&D they said to come in and get checked. I was 2cm and 50% effaced at my appointment on Thursday and had my membranes stripped. When i got to L&D at about 2:30am they checked me and said i was at 5cm and 100% effaced, they were keeping me!

Got moved into a room and hung out till about 8 or 9 am when they checked me and said i was at 8cm and -1 station. Contractions started to really hurt shortly after and i decided that since i was barely able to handle them at that point and my water was still intact i wanted the epidural. Got my epi and life was gravy after that. Doc broke my water shortly after and we were hoping for a baby by lunch time. 

Girl did not want to descend. Contraction picked up at about 4pm and they topped of my epi. Got checked at 5:30 and they said i was complete but she was still a bit high at +2 station. Doc said they wanted me to start some practice pushes at about 6 to try to get her the rest of the way down. 

Started pushing, which was difficult as i was still pretty numb from them topping off the epi. After shift change at 7, i was checked by the doc at about 7:30 and she though baby was sunny side up. Got an ultrasound to confirm and then she decides to try turning her. Due to DD being so small it was one of the easiest times she has ever had turning a baby. They also started pitocin at that point since my contraction had spaced out.

Continued pushing and baby was born at 10:42pm, tiny, perfect, with a head full of dark hair. They put her up on me right after, DH was amazing throughout the whole thing, he got to cut the cord and cried when she came out. She was 5 pounds, 14.8 ounces, and 20 1/4 inches, smaller then anybody thought, especially considering a week earlier an u/s put her at 7+.

Things got a little crazy at that point because apparently i was hemorrhaging. They had taken the baby over to the warmer at that point  to check her out and DH had followed. At all the commotion it was clear that were not going as planned and i remember hearing him ask if everything was okay and getting a answer that made it clear they weren't quite sure yet. After hearing lots of different meds shouted for and many uncomfortable minutes of hands, and tools in my lady bits they finally got the bleeding under control. Then came the placenta, lots of uterine massage and stitching up my one small tear. 

DH brought her over to me and we agreed that she was definitely a Sylvia. (We had gone in with 3 names)

When they had me get up to try to pee at about 3am, i made it to the toilet then proceeded to pass out. The nurse called for help and they managed to clean me up and get me back to bed. I wasn't allowed to get up with out help for over 24 hours and they were super paranoid about my bleeding. Labs showed that i was borderline on the point where they recommend a blood transfusion. I'm still pale and will be on iron supplements for months. 

All in all a little crazy but she is just so adorable and perfect and we are so in love. 2 docs and half a dozen nurses all came by to tell us she was the prettiest baby born that night (they had a ton, one girl went super fast and delivered before the doc could get in her room!) i agree but might be slightly biased. 
;)

PS. This was a bitch to type one handed since DD doesn't want to be put down. Any typos or errors are whatever. Lol.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
BFP: 11.09.13   EDD: 07.21.14 
Baby Sylvia born 07.20.14
5 lbs 14.8 oz | 20 1/4 inches

Re: helloblueeyes's birth story

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"