Potty Training

What do you do for accidents (really on purpose)?

My son has been PT for almost two weeks. He has 0-1 accidents a day. It seems like they are on purpose to get attention. He has been doing this lately. Bad behavior for attention (since PT started). He has books in the potty, and they worked to get him in their and to make the connection, but now it seems like he thinks its another play area so I removed the books. I have a treasure box and give him a reward after. When and how do you remove motivators, and how do you handle intentional accidents? I am trying everything here! Thank you!
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: What do you do for accidents (really on purpose)?

• laf83laf83 member
    Maybe try taking him to the bathtub and washing his legs & hiney with cold water whenever he has an accident. Don't call it a punishment, but tell him he has to get cleaned up when he has an accident. He won't like the cold & being interrupted from playing. I did this for one day with my son, and we've been much more successful since then. We are only two weeks into PTing, though! Accidents will happen; I've read that you should try to stay calm & not get angry. The quick, cold bath might be a good consequence for accidents that may be intentional.
  • laf83laf83 member
    Also, I wanted to add that at first I was involving my son in the clean up (I had read to let them take responsibility for accidents). Well, my little booger really liked helping me clean up! He wanted to spray the carpet cleaner or the Lysol and I know he did a few pee pees on the floor just to "help" me clean up. So I stopped letting him help clean up after an accident. Now he loves to empty his tee tee from the potty seat to the big toilet.
  • Loading the player...
  • This is exactly what my did. Enjoyed helping so I stopped that, too. Thanks I will try it!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"