November 2014 Moms

Dr browns or Playtex drop in's?

kstirtonkstirton member
edited July 2014 in November 2014 Moms

Question for the experienced mama's or new mama's who have researched this! One of my friends politely pointed out to me that I seem a little confused on my registry with bottles. I've got Dr Browns bottles, some Playtex bottles with the drop in's, and all madela breastpump/storage accessories. I plan to try and exclusively breast feed/pump. My question is if you use the liners can you use the liners to store breast milk in too? or would you have to pour the milk in the liners from the storage bag. And also - any experience with which bottle is better/easier/cost effective, and do you usually try to exclusively use one brand of bottle??

Re: Dr browns or Playtex drop in's?

• We used dr. Browns-they reduce bubbles and help with spit up. We liked 'em. With our girls we alternated bottle (breast milk) and breast feeds until they were about 10 wks, which at that time I started exclusively pumping. I can't speak for mamas that EBF as for which bottles are best. As for milk storage, no clue on the drop ins, but I froze milk in either lansinoh or target brand bags. I preferred target actually.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We're going to try the Avent Naturals.  They got a good rating from our baby book (which is the bible according to DH).  If those don't work, I've heard good things about the Tommy Tippy bottles that are for sensitive bellies. 

It is SO HARD to know what to get!

• Loading the player...
  • We're going with the Avent Naturals too.  My sister uses the playtex drop ins now for my niece.  She used the Avent drop ins for my first niece because they were the only ones that didn't give her gas,  but they stopped making them  She has no problems with the playtex either. 
     I don't know from personal experience but the only way I could see storing BM in the liners is if it's actually in the bottle already and that is where you are storing it.  There are no covers for the liners.
    ~Nov14 Moms November Siggy Challenge: CELEBRATION!! ~

Anniversary

• Great now there's avent naturals LOL ... Are those drop ins? Are they lots easier then bottles like the dr browns that don't have the liners?

• And I'm assuming the Playtex drop ins have to be used with the playtex bottles

• momtojad said:
    I would say buy one bottle and try it, if they like it buy more, if they do not like it buy one more of another brand.  You can pick whatever you like but that doesn't mean your baby will take it.
    So - as far as registering goes ... what would you recommend?

• I think it makes sense to buy a few different brands to have on hand. You never know if your baby will have colic or reflux or issues with bottles. Sometimes it helps to try something new. In my case, I've used dr browns with my ds and will be going that route again this time. However, I think it makes sense for ftms to have two or three brands to try out and see what works- just don't buy 10 plus of each kind- start small. Oh and we really preferred the wide neck dr browns over the regular... But again, this was ds's preference and not something that is easy to predict. Try not to worry too much, if you need something you don't have, the store is not far- I just liked having a backup option at home for the middle of the night panic. Good luck and don't stress!

Dx hyperprolactinemia Oct 2009, started bromocryptine Jan 2010

BFP Oct 2010 DS born June 2011

Dx galactorrhea Sept 2013

BFP Sept 2013 MC Oct 2013 D&C Nov 2013, back on bromocryptine Nov 2013

• No the Avent Naturals are not drop ins and yes they are lot easier than Dr. Browns.  They are set up just like a regular bottle but the changed the way the nipple is set up.  It's set up to vent air flow into the bottle so the baby doesn't get all the air and gas.  They also made the nipple wider to simulate a natural latch to the breast if you were deciding to do both.
    As far as the Playtex the drop ins would probably only fit them.  I haven't seen any other drop ins out there right now but I could be wrong..I guess if the other bottle was the same dimension it might work.

~Nov14 Moms November Siggy Challenge: CELEBRATION!! ~

Anniversary

• kstirton said:
    momtojad said:
    I would say buy one bottle and try it, if they like it buy more, if they do not like it buy one more of another brand.  You can pick whatever you like but that doesn't mean your baby will take it.
    So - as far as registering goes ... what would you recommend?
    I just wouldn't unless you are o.k with taking them all back if the first one you try works.  Someone gave me this advice and I tried the medela's that came with my pump and they worked and I didn't need to buy any more bottles.  I ran a blog and got stuff to review frequently and we have tried a ton of different bottles and most my child wouldn't take so if I went with any of those brands from the get go I would have had a ton of bottles that were useless.  You just never know with your child.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
  • my sister's baby takes any bottle, so I guess in that sense I'd be perfectly fine with the few brands I decided to try out. Thanks everyone for the input. I decided to do mostly avent naturals with one of the Playtex bottles/drop ins - I'll run to store in a panic to buy more if baby doesn't like those. :)

• MaelaraMaelara member
    edited July 2014
    Dr. Brown has a million little pieces. If you don't mind that, I've heard they are fantastic. I personally, LOVE the playtex drop-in. Yes, you must use the playtex liners with their bottles. No, you cannot use the playtex liners to store breast milk, they don't seal. You can not use the medela bags in the playtex bottles. You can only use the playtex liners.
  • Has anyone heard of a brand called "Boob" bottles? They're apparently awesome and made exclusively for breast fed babies.

Married:  08.17.2013
    Sweet Angel Baby: 02.01.2014
    Emerson Shay:  10:28:2014
    Two Fur Babies:  Talli Mae and Lexi

• I love the dr. Browns but they are such a bitch to clean.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • aa98aa98 member
    I got a couple of Avent Naturals samples to try and I'm getting the medela breast pump so I'll have those bottles.  I registered for a couple of Dr. Browns wide mouthed just in case but I'm hoping the LO will like the Avent or the medelas as my niece and nephew used Dr. Browns and those seen like a PITA to clean.  I hear the tommee tippees are very similar to the Avents so you can use one or the other, any STMs with experience with this?
    BabyFruit Ticker

Our first!!!

• For DD we used Dr. Browns, and they worked great!  I did buy a Playtex drop in bottle, extra nipples and some liners to use if we were going to be out for the day--less clean up for when we got back home.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • These are the bottles I was referring to above.   Has anyone tried them?  The company apparently spent years modeling the bottle nipple after a human nipple so the transfer from skin to bottle was easier.  I'm very intrigued by them but have yet to heard from someone who has actually used them.

Married:  08.17.2013
    Sweet Angel Baby: 02.01.2014
    Emerson Shay:  10:28:2014
    Two Fur Babies:  Talli Mae and Lexi

• To the ladies saying the Drop-Ins don't seal, they do.  You just have to buy this kit in addition to the bottles and liners:

We have some friends that use this.  They said to buy 2 of these kits.  I think they remove the lids after the milk has frozen and put the milk/liner in a gallon ziplock with some others.
    Baby girl N born 10/29/14!

**Follow your heart, but take your brain with you**

• We just used regular ol' glass Evenflo bottles for DD.  I chose them because of worries about BPA/the chemicals used to replace BPA.  We registered for a million bottles, planning to use them for milk storage, but turns out I have hella lipase and (even frozen) my milk smells like vomit after a week.  So, yeah, registering for many bottles didn't really work out for me.

The Evenflo nipples sucked - they would get "mushy" quickly it seemed.  And they're not clearly labeled regarding what flow they are - so we would mix them up.  We started using the Dr. Brown's nipples, which have "speed bumps" on the inside that stop total collapse and I loved them.  

I thought Playtex drop-ins would be super convenient while travelling so I bought a pack.  Honestly, they were just as much washing as a regular bottle, and I disliked the waste.  (And the plasticness - becoming a mom made me a bit of a hippy).  But, I've heard they can work wonders for gas issues.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably register for 3 4-oz bottles and 3 8-oz bottles.  Then we wouldn't have a million sitting in storage, but we'd be ready for the baby.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm going to try the joovy boob first. I like that they make a glass version. I registered for a few different ones knowing that I may need to return a few
  • I used Medela bottles with DS1 and Dr. Browns with DS2 because he had reflux issues. I was really happy with both of them.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am using both dr. browns and I have always loved Playtex drop ins.. I used them both with DS and DD.
  • Anyone have a preference for glass bottles or plastic bottles??
  • I think glass bottles wash easier. I can't put plastic bottles in the dishwasher because they leave a film on them.

Pregnancy Ticker

• I registered for a few different brands - I registered for individual bottles to try and then multi packs so that if they work I have some already. I'll return and exchange whatever little guy doesn't like.
  • This blog lays out a very good system for using the Platex drop ins for breast milk storage.  It is my plan to do this as long as LO will take the platex bottles!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We used Medela bottles when I was breast feeding and then switched to Dr. browns when we started formula. I like the Dr. browns, but they are a pain to clean because of all the parts. DD1 wasn't picky about bottles so we got lucky. This time I'm going to be trying Kiinde bags and bottles for breast milk. My husband's cousin says they are awesome and Zulily had a great deal a while back.

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"