April 2014 Moms
Options

Pumping takes forever!!!

I feel guilty at work cuz a full pump session takes me a good 45 minutes! I do massage and compression to help and it's still that long. It hurts my nips to turn the pump up in speed but I feel like I need to do something! I think the problem is I can only get away to pump twice a day and it's usually 4-5 hrs in between so I have a lotta milk to pump! Suggestions? Anyone else experiencing this?

Re: Pumping takes forever!!!

• Options
    How many ounces do you get in 45 minutes? Just curious. That does seem like a crazy long time to pump.
  • Options
    What type of pump are you using? Have you seen an LC to check that you have the correct flange size? I went up a size and double my output, also fixed the blisters I was getting!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This morning ingot 9 oz. actual pump time is about 35-40 min. Other time is set up, clean up, and taking milk to fridge. I use medela pump min style. I have not seen an LC but often wondered about flange size. That might be an option. This morning was my first pump after night feedings so I was more full than normal, but normal sessions usually last about 30 min pump time.
  • Options
    I assume the pump is new? Definately check flange size. Also make sure you're getting a good seal. An air leak will kill your groove. I once pumped an entire session with part of my bra in the flange, needless to say my output was poor. I don't think that's likely to be the problem however. I'd place my bet on flange size.
  • Options
    This morning ingot 9 oz. actual pump time is about 35-40 min. Other time is set up, clean up, and taking milk to fridge. I use medela pump min style. I have not seen an LC but often wondered about flange size. That might be an option. This morning was my first pump after night feedings so I was more full than normal, but normal sessions usually last about 30 min pump time.
    9oz strikes me a a lot!! I get about 5 during my first pumping session of the morning of 20 minutes and that was a good session for me! How often do you pump cause that will effect things as well.

I try to pump 3 times a day - every 2-3 hours at work (I am lucky I can do that) and I get about 3-4oz per pump session which DH informs me is enough for LO the next day (just!).

Do you find you have a lot left over? I think you may be putting too much pressure to pump as much as you possibly can! Either that or I'm completely out of touch and I'm not pumping enough!
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • Options
    Also, cranking the suction all the way up can collapse your ducts and be counter productive.
  • Options
    Some moms take Lecithin to help empty faster.  Also, heat helps to empty faster.  I have used the Lansinoh therapearl 3 in 1 breast therapy product. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    What type of pump are you using? Have you seen an LC to check that you have the correct flange size? I went up a size and double my output, also fixed the blisters I was getting!
    You actually made me realize that I've been using one flange size too big, so thanks.  I ordered some new sets.
  • Options
    Kelly mom says that 20 minutes is sufficient to pump and "empty" the breast. You could pump for hours and still get milk though. I pump for 25minutes just because I get a third let down around 19 minutes.

I would ask a LC what they think though because everyone is different.
    image    image    image    image

• Options
    Thanks ladies!! I pump about every 4 hrs at work. That's all I can get in. Usually I get about 5 oz on those sessions which take about 25-30 min. of pump time. I do feel as though I need to get every last drop. The suction is about a half turn past being turned on. I don't tolerate much. But that seems to get a steady flow going.
  • Options
    After reading about the flange size I think mine is too small. The base of my nipple where the areoles starts always rubs on the flange, and it feels raw after pumping. Many time its white at the base as well as the tip of the nipple too which I think signifies poor blood flow. I'm calling the LC today, all though I have no time to get in thanks to work, maybe they can verify through my description.
  • Options

After reading about the flange size I think mine is too small. The base of my nipple where the areoles starts always rubs on the flange, and it feels raw after pumping. Many time its white at the base as well as the tip of the nipple too which I think signifies poor blood flow. I'm calling the LC today, all though I have no time to get in thanks to work, maybe they can verify through my description.

Nipple selfy?
  • Options

Nipple selfy?

Ummmm no. Maybe if it were a secure site, but my white nips will not be floating around the internet :-)
  • Options

Nipple selfy?

Ummmm no. Maybe if it were a secure site, but my white nips will not be floating around the internet :-)

For the LC! Not us, her
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"