November 2014 Moms
Options

Decreased baby movement

I first started feeling the baby about 4 weeks ago.  The last couple weeks, the movement has been very consistent (multiple times a day) and getting much stronger.  Beginning yesterday there has been a noticeable decrease in movement.  It is not completely gone, but much less frequent and very weak.  And I haven't felt movement this morning.  But I have had a few short but moderately strong cramps.

My rational mind tells me that this is nothing to worry about.  Maybe baby has moved into a different position and I just can't feel him as well.  A quick Google search supported this theory. 

But my mind isn't completely rational and I still am worried a bit.

I think I will drink some Pepsi and see if that gets him stirring around. If I still can't stop worrying, I will call the doctor this afternoon.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any comments that can put my mind at ease?

Re: Decreased baby movement

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Some days are just different than others.  I've been feeling him around 11am and 9pm pretty consistently but sometimes at random times he's using my bladder as a trampoline.  Some days it'll just be a random jab then not much else the rest of the day (I call it lightning ute).  If you're worried I'd agree with calling your doc but what's going on sounds pretty normal.

• Options
    No experience with this but I'm sorry it has you worried. I would definitely try some cold juice or soda, then lay flat on your back with both palms on your belly. You'll feel even the faintest movements that way. Do you have a doppler by chance?

BabyName Ticker
    image imageimageimage

• Options
    I noticed decreased movement around 24 weeks and felt worried too.  So I sat down and had a chai and a few minutes later felt lots.  I think partly it was that I'd been up and doing more lately, and partly the baby was changing its active times of day.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was feeling the same exact way this morning. I'm 23w2d. I was driving to work thinking I don't even FEEL pregnant anymore. I have my 24 week appt on Monday and I have a doppler at home. If I don't feel him today, I'll be sure to use my doppler and then I'll get to see him Monday. Let us know how the Pepsi works out!
  • Options

I'm glad to read this today. I didn't feel LO move much yesterday or last night when I lay flat on my back. I had a few sharp pains on Tuesday that could have been gas or muscle, but with the decreased movement they made me nervous. Today I have dull cramps and still very little movement- not like usual that's for sure.

I'm hoping it's nothing and I'm just having FTM paranoia!

• Options
    sj+cm131 said:

Right after I posted this, he started moving.  That little brat!  The movements feel different, so I think he changed position.  But I feel better now that I can feel him moving around in there.

Glad to hear! Also keep in mind that as these babies get bigger punches and kicks will turn more into rolls so the movements will feel different than what you may have been used to cuz they'll run out of that extra room.

BabyName Ticker
    image imageimageimage

• Options
    CarebellaCarebella member
    edited July 2014
    I've had to adjust to less, but bigger, movement as baby grows, has less room to move, and changes positions. I went from feeling movements every 30 minutes to an hour and now it feels like I can go 3-4 hours without anything. Chatted with my MW about it and as expected, perfectly normal, but as a FTM, perfectly stressful! At least the movements now are fun when I catch them as I tend to see my bump move :)

So glad your LO cooperated and said hi!

Eta: 25 weeks tomorrow.
  • Options
    At my last appointment my doctor said they don't expect you to feel consistent movement until 28 weeks! Try not to worry too much... But I know that is easier said than done. :)
  • Options
    Also, I have a recommendation. I have an anterior placenta, so feeling baby girl move isn't always easy. But I have found that flashlights make her kick. :) so feel free to torment you kiddo for a few and play!

I tried the flashlight thing once a couple weeks ago and nothing happened.  I will try again when I get home.

• Options
    Also, I have a recommendation. I have an anterior placenta, so feeling baby girl move isn't always easy. But I have found that flashlights make her kick. :) so feel free to torment you kiddo for a few and play!
    DH was so funny when I tried that the other night.  He was like, "stop flashing a light in my kid's face!" then he would grab it and flash it in mine. LOL  I think he was actually worried I was tormenting the LO.
    LOL sounds like something my DH would say also. the baby always stops kicking as soon i tell DH to feel but i don't think he'd appreciate me proding the baby to come out and play.
    TW*** Child and loss mentioned
    Married 10/12
    DS 11/14
    Ectopic 2/16
    PCOS/Ovulation Dysfunction 11/16
    IUI x 3- BFN
    Laparoscopy 3/17 Endo and tubal damage
    IVF- 4/17- 40 eggs retrieved, 10 blasts, 7 pgs tested embryos
    FET- 6/17- BFP!
    Due Feb 15, 2017
  • Options
    jj0313jj0313 member
    Sounds like he was just having a laid back day. Mine was like that Sunday. She was bouncing around like a maniac yesterday though!

My midwife resource book says don't worry about decreased movement until after 25 weeks. Then if you do feel like it's an issue, go into a quiet place and try and count 5 in an hour.
  • Options
    Still too early for consistent movement. I was told that as long as I felt DS once a day in some way, until later on, that that was all they wanted. This baby went from active to pretty much silent for a few days. I finally pulled the Doppler out to check and he was fine. They are getting bigger but so is your belly, so there will be times that they have more room to move around and tuck and hide before they get too big again.
    TTC #2: 12/2012
    Back to our beloved RE 10/2013
    BFP #5 3/5/14
    Beta 1: 47. Beta 2: 87. Beta 3: 482!

Baby CCH v2.0 due 11.14.14

• Options
    I felt this way a couple days ago. there was a decrease in movement after feeling her pretty actively. Yesterday was a little better, today - we are getting kind of back to normal. When I called the nurse she suggested I drink some juice or eat a snack and lay down for 30 min to an hr and see if that got her up and moving but even then, probably nothing to be too concerned about. Don't be surprised if movement comes back smaller at first, that's how it was for me. I think she just had a really good bout of sleepiness/laziness :) Really we shouldn't worry about it until we are further along - 28 weeks or so! Keep in mind that some people don't even feel their LO's until 23 weeks. :)

• Options
    *hugs*  I'm sure he's just moved positions and is chilling in a different part of your ute!
    This is exactly what my OB said when I asked at my appointment yesterday. As more room is opening up, baby is moving to new places that may be harder to feel. 

Glad you are feeling movement now and sounds like your baby is just a little ute explorer at the moment ;)
    imageimage
  • Options
    Yeah, I think you just can't worry too much about it until 28 weeks.  I'm almost 26 weeks and I have lots of days where I feel him less.  One day last week I didn't feel him at all or the following morning.  I called the doctor and they were like, feel free to come in to hear the heartbeat, but honestly it's nothing to worry about.  It's hard not to worry, but you have to just try to relax!  A thing that almost always works for me is to drink a slushie.  

• Options
    When I first started feeling the baby move I was still in my regular scrub pants and it felt like she was moving all the time because they were getting tight. I finally bought some maternity scrubs and I can still feel her move but it's less frequently. I think I could feel her better before just because my pants were tighter.
  • Options
    I've been feeling my little dude move consistently since 17 weeks, but he's had the same anxiety-inducing routine. He moves like crazy for a couple of days, then barely anything for a couple of days. I think he likes to party hard and then crash and burn.

We're mommas. We're going to worry. :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    My 23rd week was exactly what you're describing. I ended up going to my OB's office for a quick doppler scan for peace of mind. Turns out she was just positioned funny so she was punching inward where I could barely feel her. She's since gotten into a better position where she's back to her ninja moves. If you become really nervous about it, call your OB for peace of mind. Better to know things are ok versus worrying about if they're not.
    We're welcoming a girl to our family--Audrey Kay!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Married 8.28.10 | Me: 26 DH: 26 | Due with our First | EDD 11.01.14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"