August 2013 Moms

Not eating food?

Anyone struggling with getting LO to eat? Now, I will say he has a 2nd molar coming in and I know it's bugging him, but he has been doing this before that (I think, unless I don't know how long it's been bugging him). But, he's not really eating much of anything (other than breast milk). He will eat his yogurt, but I've been trying SO many different kinds of food with him, even including baby food thinking he still wanted that texture but he's just not having it. He's never eaten food that great but it's getting worse. And he also refuses to eat vegetables. I mean he smacks my hand away and if I can get any in his mouth he acts like I'm poisoning him (he's very dramatic) and spits it out immediately. Anyone going through this or pointers on getting him to eat more? I'm worried he's not getting the proper nutrition but I am glad he's still on breast milk. I want to wean soon and switch to cow's milk at a year so I'm really hoping he's eating better. I even think it'll help him sleep better at night. Ahh, it's been a bad few weeks. My happy baby has changed (hopefully temporarily). Thanks in advance for any help!

Re: Not eating food?

• edited July 2014
    Are you letting him feed himself? If you are feeding him, maybe he wants to do it himself. Keep offering him a variety of foods, along with something you'll know he'll eat, and just keep at it.

(eta: Food before one is just for fun, so his nutrition is right on target with BM.)

• Are you letting him feed himself? If you are feeding him, maybe he wants to do it himself. Keep offering him a variety of foods, along with something you'll know he'll eat, and just keep at it.

(eta: Food before one is just for fun, so his nutrition is right on target with BM.)

Yeah, I do a combo of letting him feed himself and feeding him. I can let him feed himself more, maybe that'll help. And there really isn't much I KNOW he'll eat other than yogurt and nilla wafers! Ha. It's so hit or miss with him. I'm just hoping he starts liking it more soon. I know all babies are different but some of the kids will eat anything and everything... I wish he got his daddy's appetite like that! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah, I do a combo of letting him feed himself and feeding him. I can let him feed himself more, maybe that'll help. And there really isn't much I KNOW he'll eat other than yogurt and nilla wafers! Ha. It's so hit or miss with him. I'm just hoping he starts liking it more soon. I know all babies are different but some of the kids will eat anything and everything... I wish he got his daddy's appetite like that! :)
    Our LO won't eat purees anymore. We still have some purees that my mom bought us and DS refuses to be fed them. I just have been turning them into popsicles and give it to him that way. He's loved them. Maybe that's an idea that you could use, considering your LO's got some teething going on.  

I would just try and start letting him feed himself with everything, especially the veggies. Steam any vegetable and just cut it into tiny pieces, or if you feel comfortable enough, sticks. I bet he'll do awesome. 

But honestly, don't worry about this. You're doing awesome.

• Hi OP, I'm mostly a lurker, but we have been going through this so I wanted to respond.  My DD goes through phases like this.  For a while she was refusing bottles of BM and mostly filling up on solids (where I was having to hide oz of BM!) and now she is loving her bottles and less into the solids.  Sometimes she will refuse all solids from her day care provider entirely.  So I do think they can go through phases like this and, while super frustrating, I think they're totally normal.

Does your LO like pouches?  I know they are a little pricy, but we found that if DD wouldn't eat spoon-fed purees or other solids, she'd still eat pouches.  I ended up buying these refillable ones to save a little money (https://www.littlegreenpouch.com/).  We've also found these two fillable spoons to be useful and fun for DD to feed herself (https://www.booninc.com/products/Pulp/B10049 and https://www.booninc.com/products/Squirt/B10122) and she'll eat more that way.  Like you, too, I just end up giving her the finger foods I know she loves to eat (cheese, avocado, berries of any kind) when she's going through these phases.

Finally, I don't know where your LO is at in terms of walking/cruising/crawling, but as our LO got more mobile, she is increasingly impatient about sitting in her high chair (unless we are all sitting down together at the table -- in which case I think the social factor helps her eat a bit better).  So one thing I do is give her pouches when we're out and about in the stroller or car seat and another is to let her crawl around the dining room to her heart's content, and when she comes by my chair, I give her bites.  It's a horrible mess, but it usually gets her to eat a bit more.  Good luck -- it is so frustrating, but hopefully it is just a phase! 

• Yeah, I do a combo of letting him feed himself and feeding him. I can let him feed himself more, maybe that'll help. And there really isn't much I KNOW he'll eat other than yogurt and nilla wafers! Ha. It's so hit or miss with him. I'm just hoping he starts liking it more soon. I know all babies are different but some of the kids will eat anything and everything... I wish he got his daddy's appetite like that! :)

Our LO won't eat purees anymore. We still have some purees that my mom bought us and DS refuses to be fed them. I just have been turning them into popsicles and give it to him that way. He's loved them. Maybe that's an idea that you could use, considering your LO's got some teething going on.  

I would just try and start letting him feed himself with everything, especially the veggies. Steam any vegetable and just cut it into tiny pieces, or if you feel comfortable enough, sticks. I bet he'll do awesome. 

But honestly, don't worry about this. You're doing awesome.

Thanks for making me feel better! The Popsicle idea is awesome, definitely going to have to try that. And I'll just keep trying with the veggies and everything else too. Someday he'll eat, right? Haha oh geez.

• Hi OP, I'm mostly a lurker, but we have been going through this so I wanted to respond.  My DD goes through phases like this.  For a while she was refusing bottles of BM and mostly filling up on solids (where I was having to hide oz of BM!) and now she is loving her bottles and less into the solids.  Sometimes she will refuse all solids from her day care provider entirely.  So I do think they can go through phases like this and, while super frustrating, I think they're totally normal.

Does your LO like pouches?  I know they are a little pricy, but we found that if DD wouldn't eat spoon-fed purees or other solids, she'd still eat pouches.  I ended up buying these refillable ones to save a little money (https://www.littlegreenpouch.com/).  We've also found these two fillable spoons to be useful and fun for DD to feed herself (https://www.booninc.com/products/Pulp/B10049 and https://www.booninc.com/products/Squirt/B10122) and she'll eat more that way.  Like you, too, I just end up giving her the finger foods I know she loves to eat (cheese, avocado, berries of any kind) when she's going through these phases.

Finally, I don't know where your LO is at in terms of walking/cruising/crawling, but as our LO got more mobile, she is increasingly impatient about sitting in her high chair (unless we are all sitting down together at the table -- in which case I think the social factor helps her eat a bit better).  So one thing I do is give her pouches when we're out and about in the stroller or car seat and another is to let her crawl around the dining room to her heart's content, and when she comes by my chair, I give her bites.  It's a horrible mess, but it usually gets her to eat a bit more.  Good luck -- it is so frustrating, but hopefully it is just a
    phase! 
    Thanks for posting! I have tried the pouches and he ate about half. I think he does like that it's something different. But still not eating them very good. He is VERY mobile now, constantly on the go so that might come into play too. I'll just keep on trying different things :)
  • The proper nutrition for a baby under 1 is breast milk or formula. It sounds like, from this post, that you aren't making it a fun experience and he could be stressed when it's time to eat. Just give him the food and let him explore and learn about it. Let him touch the messy baby food, applesauce etc and then eventually he'll put it in his mouth.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • The proper nutrition for a baby under 1 is breast milk or formula. It sounds like, from this post, that you aren't making it a fun experience and he could be stressed when it's time to eat. Just give him the food and let him explore and learn about it. Let him touch the messy baby food, applesauce etc and then eventually he'll put it in his mouth.

I try to make it fun, and offer him lots of things, but maybe I am making it stressful for him. I know that BM/formula is their nutrition I just thought he might be missing out since he's not eating regular food too. I guess I am more worried about if he's still doing this when we switch over to cow's milk.
  • Mostly a lurker, but I thought I would add...

Remember babies go through phases. For instance, we went through two weeks where LO didn't eat ANY solids. I was freaking out, called the Pedi, but they said as long as the baby is getting formula or breast milk, it is okay!

Are there any other soft finger foods LO might like such as bananas or peas?
  • We are going through a similar stage :) I'm positive it's just a phase but been stressed out more since I go back to work next month and want him to be set up for daycare. He's just recently started eating more today. I've also given him a fork and spoon (the baby ones) to play with which he loves. He's much more open to taking bites while walking around and such too rather than his chair. The replies have given me lots of insight too!! Thanks for the post
    **July Siggy Challenge**
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• shivers7 said:
    We are going through a similar stage :) I'm positive it's just a phase but been stressed out more since I go back to work next month and want him to be set up for daycare. He's just recently started eating more today. I've also given him a fork and spoon (the baby ones) to play with which he loves. He's much more open to taking bites while walking around and such too rather than his chair. The replies have given me lots of insight too!! Thanks for the post
    J went through through the "I don't want to sit and eat" phase and I'm sure we'll go through it again. I fed him in his walker. The walking around while eating freaked me out, but he did good and thankfully it stopped pretty quickly. 

Good luck ladies! :) 

• I've discovered Barilla veggie pasta and LO loves it! She goes in and out of love with food but whenever the pasta come out she's all...

(LOL, haven't seen that gif in a while and I couldn't resist.)
    Agreed. 

And quit feeding him Nilla wafers. I mean seriously? If you had the choice between Nilla wafers and green beans what would you pick?
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker

Agreed. 

And quit feeding him Nilla wafers. I mean seriously? If you had the choice between Nilla wafers and green beans what would you pick?

I actually really like green beans so i would probably pick those :) but I know what you're getting at. I only give him those occasionally as a little treat but he seems to be doing a bit better now with it so hopefully it was a phase.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"