Stay at Home Moms

Childproof seat belt cutter & window breaker?

I'm working on improving our preparedness for emergencies and I'd like to get a seat belt cutter & window breaker tool for the car. However, I'm trying to find one that's childproof and can't seem to find one. DS1, 3, is into EVERYTHING and is incredibly curious. DS2, 1, is trending pretty much the same way. I'm Googling this, but haven't found a clear winner and thought I'd ask as well. Can anyone here recommend a good tool? I like the ResQMe and the Lifehammer but see pros and cons to both. Thanks!
natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Childproof seat belt cutter & window breaker?

• Wow this while thing seems over the top. Sorry I don't have any advice.
  • We have one, not sure of brand, and we keep it in the glove box. DD is never in the car without being in her car seat so she couldn't get it. Not sure how your kids would find it if you kept it in the car? Do they play in there?
    photo 3104d09c-3cc7-4177-aed6-da3344fdf17f_zpsbb1f9ce7.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Wow, never heard of those but I guess it would be something you hope you never need but have just in case. Kind of like the fire ladder we have in case we need to get out of the top floor from the windows. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #1 6.19.11 ~ EDD 2.23.12 ~ CP on 6.22.11
    BFP #2 7.23.11 ~ EDD 3.28.12 ~ MC on 8.16.11
    BFP #3 11.17.11~ EDD 7.31.12 ~ MC on 1.18.12
    BFP #4 4.12.12 ~ EDD 12.25.12~ Born on 12.26.12
  • I keep a pair of scissors in the glovebox....
  • I keep a pair of scissors in the glove compartment as well.
    Andrea 7/9/08, Joaquin 4/18/11, boy coming 12/18/13 Forever missed: Gabriel 11/24/09 at 20 weeks
  • I keep a pair of scissors in the glovebox....
    This. 
  • hlm184hlm184 member
    I have the resqme on my keychain, but LO is only 3.5 months so I haven't thought about whether or not it's childproof.  :-?
  • Keep it in the glove box and tell DS the glove box is hands off. I don't allow DS in the front seat so anything he can't get into is up there

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Most do not realize this, but your head rest comes off and you can use that to break a window in an emergency (hence the point angle at the end) - so no needed extra part there.  Get an industrial set of medical scissors (I got mine at the farm supply store by the vet supplies but I know Harbor Freight carries them too) and put those in your glove as the others have suggested. 

• I just keep a screwdriver in my glovebox

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• MesmrEwe said:

Most do not realize this, but your head rest comes off and you can use that to break a window in an emergency (hence the point angle at the end) - so no needed extra part there.  Get an industrial set of medical scissors (I got mine at the farm supply store by the vet supplies but I know Harbor Freight carries them too) and put those in your glove as the others have suggested. 

Mine don't. I just tried because I'm sitting in the car with a sleeping baby

• I would keep it in the glove compartment if I had one. My kids aren't allowed to climb around in my car and don't even know the glove compartment exists so having it be childproof would be unnecessary.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sometimes when I'm putting DS2 into the car seat, DS1 scrambles into the car and up to the front before I can stop him. He likes to sit up there and play around with the radio buttons, etc. He knows he's not supposed to but he's three and pushing every limit he can. I'd put him in first, but DS2 is not walking yet and the logistics of handling him, even in a carrier, while putting DS1 in are messy. It's easier if I just childproof everything for the time being.

I don't really want to put anything in the glove box (if you're stuck in your seat belt, you can't reach it) or the console (if the car's upside down, everything falls out when you open it). I'm leaning toward the ResQMe keychain. Also, if the kids get trapped in the car somehow without me in there, there's a good chance I'll have my keys with me and will be able to break the windows. Paranoid much? Haha.Yes, yes I am.
    natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Is it hard to break a car window? I always thought if DD were trapped in the car, I would just kick it in or call someone to open it (if it weren't an emergency).
  • The window things break the window if you're in water, etc. right? I don't have one anymore, but I used to in my other car.
  • NandaB said:
    Is it hard to break a car window? I always thought if DD were trapped in the car, I would just kick it in or call someone to open it (if it weren't an emergency).
    Have you ever seen the video of the young reporter who was trying to demonstrate how easy it is to break into a car ...except he couldn't break the window. He hit it like 10 times.
    No. I didn't say it was a good plan. I've never really thought about it, I just assumed I'd be full of adrenaline like the mothers who lift cars off their kids. Yeah, my plan is super human strength. Okay, off to google window breakers...

But wait, if the kid is locked in the car then presumably I don't have my keys on me so what good does a window breaker do if it's in the car with the kid?
  • Sometimes when I'm putting DS2 into the car seat, DS1 scrambles into the car and up to the front before I can stop him. He likes to sit up there and play around with the radio buttons, etc. He knows he's not supposed to but he's three and pushing every limit he can. I'd put him in first, but DS2 is not walking yet and the logistics of handling him, even in a carrier, while putting DS1 in are messy. It's easier if I just childproof everything for the time being.

I don't really want to put anything in the glove box (if you're stuck in your seat belt, you can't reach it) or the console (if the car's upside down, everything falls out when you open it). I'm leaning toward the ResQMe keychain. Also, if the kids get trapped in the car somehow without me in there, there's a good chance I'll have my keys with me and will be able to break the windows. Paranoid much? Haha.Yes, yes I am.
    You're making this way more difficult than it needs to be.

• Hmmm, I have never considered this. Although, thinking about it, I have a crowbar in the back of my van. I keep taking it out, and DH keeps putting it back in. I guess I should ask if this is his reason...

• I haven't done research on this so maybe I'm not well enough informed, but it seems to me the risk may outweigh the benefit here. What are the chances you would need this tool and be in a position to use it versus the chances of your kid finding and hurting himself with it?

• hlm184hlm184 member
    I'm not sure how much damage a kid could do with a ResQMe.  Maybe I'm underestimating, but the amount of force necessary to activate the breaking pin is significant.  The blade is only accessible after the tool has been forcibly removed frm the holder and only has a gap wide enough to slide a seatbelt in - like, I can grab it and squeeze and not cut myself.  I feel like a kid big/strong enough to injure themselves with it is also going to be old enough to be taught better.

Am I off base?
  • hlm184 said:
    I'm not sure how much damage a kid could do with a ResQMe.  Maybe I'm underestimating, but the amount of force necessary to activate the breaking pin is significant.  The blade is only accessible after the tool has been forcibly removed frm the holder and only has a gap wide enough to slide a seatbelt in - like, I can grab it and squeeze and not cut myself.  I feel like a kid big/strong enough to injure themselves with it is also going to be old enough to be taught better.

Am I off base?

No you're not. We're not talking about a machete just hanging around the car. Or a crow bar

• QueSyrah said:

hlm184 said:

Am I off base?

No you're not. We're not talking about a machete just hanging around the car. Or a crow bar

In that case it seems like a low risk. I was looking at that tactical triage knife in the link above. That looked very knife-y.

• I think this is all so over the top
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"