Trouble TTC

Am I over-reacting?

So AF is about to show her ugly face. Tomorrow will definitely be CD1.  Queue:

But seriously, I'm not all that devastated.  I knew this was coming.  This makes the 4th cycle in a row where I have ovulated like a champ, we had perfect timing and still...nada.

My Dr. doesn't seem all too concerned.   He basically says that since we have just now found our groove, we just need to keep trying.  That most couples can take up to a year to get pregnant and we are just now on an equal playing field...blah blah blah.

I can't shake the feeling that something else is wrong.  DH had an SA a while back when I had my HSG.  Both came back great.  But, since I am so uneasy, I've made the decision to do a repeat SA and IUI #1 this cycle.   I don't know what else could be wrong but I feel like we must have a secondary issue.  Our doctor agreed to do the SA and move on to IUI if that's what we want...but he's not necessarily recommending it nor does he share my worry that there is some other factor we are missing.  I know he's the doctor and I should trust him....buuuuuuuuuuut......

Any ideas on what other issues we could be facing?  Anyone else have a repeat SA that showed issues the first did not?  Anyone think I'm a neurotic worry wart that needs to just shut the eff up and trust my doctor? 

Me (29) DH (37)

Married 7/11

Actively TTC 3/12

DX: PCOS

Current treatment: Break from IUIs until after the holidays

-----All Welcome----

~~~January 3T Siggy Challenge: New Year's Resolutions~~~

(I don't do resolutions...so I stole T-Rex's)

Re: Am I over-reacting?

• @rainbowbridge14‌ I've thought about a CM issue. I almost never get EWCM. That was part of why I was thinking IUI...just bypass that bitch.

We do trigger. Lining is good...thinner than it was pre-clomid but still at LEAST 8mm at trigger. Usually closer to 10mm. Progesterone is always good 7dpo. Shows "strong ovulation"

Me (29) DH (37)

Married 7/11

Actively TTC 3/12

-----All Welcome----

• AnnaClaire256AnnaClaire256 member
    edited July 2014
    Ha! @iPutKetchupOnKetchup‌ I bet you don't. I'm taking a page outta your book and making my own rules.

ETA: Not sure what you meant by you not wanting to comment on my emotional reaction...but I know I'm a worrier...to my core. Sometimes I just need to be told to relax. I'm always open to that.

Me (29) DH (37)

Married 7/11

Actively TTC 3/12

-----All Welcome----

• Loading the player...
  • I definitely don't think you are overreacting at all. It seems like your RE would want to have a wtf appointment at this point. I think the IUI plan is a great course of action.
    Me: +35 DH: +35
    TTC: Since January 2013 
    DX: PCOS. Severe Endometriosis, Unicornuate Uterus w/only left tube and left ovary, Pedunculated fibroid (on the outside of uterus) and Anovulation. All conditions diagnosed 8/13
    TX: Metformin
    DH DX: MFI - low morphology, low motility
    Ultrasound shows both kidneys in spite of UU. 
    HSG showed clear tube on the left side. 
    Lap Surgery performed 1/9/14 to remove fibroid and endo (Stage 3)
    • IUI# 1 June 2014 started 100 mg of Clomid - 7dpiui Progesterone: 13: BFN
    • IUI#2  July 2014 started 100 mg of Clomid - 7dpiui Progesterone: 5.75: BFN
    • Natural Cycle - so shocked to be in 2WW - 7dpo Progesterone: 15.5: BFN
    • Working with new RE starting injectables in late August.
    • IUI #3 August 2014  w/ Menopur: BFN
    • Finally ovulating on my own!!
    Waiting to start IVF hopefully
    **********All Are Welcome**************
    3T January Siggy Challenge: New Year's Resolution

• I don't think it's overreacting.  And unless the IUI would be that much more expensive, my theory is that if you're putting yourself through the crazy meds and monitoring, you may as well do the IUI and cover all your bases.

Me 33, DH 37 -- TTC since Jan'12 -- Low AMH (0.78) & endo, SA w/ low motility
    IUI's 1-3 = BFN, IVF converted to IUI 4/13 = BFN
    IVF 1.2: 8R 6M 4F -- 2 blastocysts frozen, FET 8/15 = BFP!!
    Beta #s = 445;1,098; 9,545  -- EDD 5/2 -- Team Pink!
    Camila Josephine arrived 4/30 :)
  • Ugh so sorry about AF. I think your reaction is totally normal and the next steps sound reasonable.

Missed M/C natural cycle 10/2013

DX PCOS 3/2014

2 cycles Clomid 50 mg + Ovidrel + TI

1 cycle Clomid 50 mg + TI - no response stair-stepped to Clomid 75 mg + Ovidrel + TI

1 cycle Clomid 50 mg + Ovidrel + IUI

1 cycle Letrozole 7.5 mg + 150 mg Follistim + Ovidrel + TI

1 cycle Letrozole 7.5 mg + 150 mg Folistim + Ovidrel + IUI

1 cycle Letrozole 7.5 mg + 150 mg Follistim  - no response, repeated Letrozole 7.5 mg + 150 mg Follistim + Ovidrel + IUI = success! 12/2014

Beta 1 - 15 dpiui, 324, Beta 2 - 17 dpiui 750. Twins!!

My Blog: pcosandpizza.blogspot.com

• Congrats on timing, lining, O, progesterone, and SA! Sorry about BFN #4. :(

On medicated cycles, I would definitely move to IUI to have the best chances. Clomid is not a good drug to have in the body long term and from what I read there is a health limit of 6 months at a time, so I would want to get the IUIs in while the Clomid is still working and safe. :)

And without good CM - another great reason to start IUI. Plus if you're paying for a repeat SA anyway, you might choose just to pay for the sperm washing for IUI, since they'll report the general numbers at that time anyway, and save yourself a couple hundred $.
    January 3T Siggy Challenge - New Year's Resolutions
    imageimage

Me (29), DH (30) TTC actively 54 55+ cycles | All BFNs
    MFI (low everything) | Endo Stage 1 & Stenotic Cervix (treated) | PCO
    Married - July 2008 | Started TTC - Jan 2009RE Visit #1 - Mar 2014 
    IUI #1 ICI #1 - June | IUI #1.1 Laparoscopy - Aug
    IUIs #1.2, 2, 3 - Sept, Oct, Nov (Letrozole) - BFNs 
    IUI #4 - Dec (Bravelle) | IUI #5 - Dec/Jan (Bravelle) - 5 follies + TI - BFNs
    IUI #5.1 - Jan (Bravelle) Cancelled 
    Planning to start IVF in March!
    ***All Welcome***
  • AnnaClaire256AnnaClaire256 member
    edited July 2014
    Exactly @BunnyBerry‌ if we are washing it and counting it, WE ARE using it!

Unfortunately this is more like BFN #12...then I stopped responding all together. They upped my dose and I'm ovulating like a champ...but now I've had 4 in a row. I've done FAR more than 6 cycles of clomid but my RE reassures me time and time again that as long as I'm responding well, there's no harm. But, if I'm responding so well...WTF? That's why I decided to push on with IUI.

A normal cycle with TI costs us about $500 the IUI will make it about $800. But, like @gsancho‌ said, if we are going through this process anyway...might as well maximize our chances. One cycle at $800 is cheaper than two at $500!

Me (29) DH (37)

Married 7/11

Actively TTC 3/12

-----All Welcome----

• Yeah $300 isn't too much to be sure you're getting your DH's boys and your egg(s) closer together at the right time, IMO

Me 33, DH 37 -- TTC since Jan'12 -- Low AMH (0.78) & endo, SA w/ low motility
    IUI's 1-3 = BFN, IVF converted to IUI 4/13 = BFN
    IVF 1.2: 8R 6M 4F -- 2 blastocysts frozen, FET 8/15 = BFP!!
    Beta #s = 445;1,098; 9,545  -- EDD 5/2 -- Team Pink!
    Camila Josephine arrived 4/30 :)
  • I'm sorry about the bfn and that you're having to deal with a RE who doesn't seem concerned. I'm actually going through the opposite! we should trade doctors, haha!

pregnancy stats mentioned**

Anyway, I don't think you are over-reacting and I do think you should try IUI next time. When your RE said the "it can take a year and now you're on an even playing field" I don't think that's really a good answer! and kind of annoying actually. From the stats I remember 60% conceive in the first 3 months and that is with no other issues which anyone who has IF already doesn't fit that category. So, I would think that if this is cycle 4 it wouldn't be out of line to switch protocols. Good luck talking with your RE!
    ***********siggy warning **********

Me: 26 DH: 27
    TTC #1 Since Aug. 2013
    Cycle 1: O CD 25=bfn
    Cycle 2: O CD 48=bfn
    Cycle 3: Anovulatory/Provera =120 days!
    Cycle 4: Anovulatory/Prometrium=127 days! RE consult 6/16
    Me: Anov/poss. pcos?  HSG=normal/SA= Normal 
    July/Aug. 2014= Femara+trigger+TI=BFP!!
    Beta #1@ 16dpo=626!! Beta #2=1510
    Ultrasound @ 5w6d=heartbeat at 110!
    Ultrasound @ 6w6d =heartbeat at 131!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Good call on the cost/benefit analysis.

I could be wrong here, but I would want a second opinion at this point. I would be really uncomfortable to stay on Clomid so long. The normal is up to 3 months of any one thing. It's not cost-effective otherwise. I almost wonder if your RE is giving you a bit of a runaround. There are so many other issues that could be at play.
    January 3T Siggy Challenge - New Year's Resolutions
    imageimage

Me (29), DH (30) TTC actively 54 55+ cycles | All BFNs
    MFI (low everything) | Endo Stage 1 & Stenotic Cervix (treated) | PCO
    Married - July 2008 | Started TTC - Jan 2009RE Visit #1 - Mar 2014 
    IUI #1 ICI #1 - June | IUI #1.1 Laparoscopy - Aug
    IUIs #1.2, 2, 3 - Sept, Oct, Nov (Letrozole) - BFNs 
    IUI #4 - Dec (Bravelle) | IUI #5 - Dec/Jan (Bravelle) - 5 follies + TI - BFNs
    IUI #5.1 - Jan (Bravelle) Cancelled 
    Planning to start IVF in March!
    ***All Welcome***
  • @Bunnyberry I agree about the run-around. I wonder (I would hope I'm wrong) if the RE makes more money from a TI cycle with monitoring vs an IUI since they charge the same for monitoring but it isn't very invasive/time consuming? I know for me so far my appts have been fairly quick and I've been seeing nurses so the RE doesn't have to do much? Maybe a second opinion if there is one nearby is a good idea!

TTC #1 Since Aug. 2013

Pregnancy Ticker

• Well...that's where it gets tricky @catlover790‌ we have thought about switching REs but that's not really an option.

Our situation is a little unique I think. The closest RE to us is about a 4 hour drive but one of the doctors at that clinic works with my OBGYN as their satellite clinic. Basically my OB does all of my u/s monitoring, bw, and will also do my IUI...then I email my RE and tell him what the results were. He's the one that makes the protocol...the OB just does the work. We skype with the RE often and he makes one face to face consultation visit with us every month.

When we first started this process, there was a different RE that worked with my local clinic that I LOVED. But, evidently, the rotate every year...

So, here I am with new guy...but he's kind of our only option. There's no way I can make 8 hour round trips just to see a different doctor. He's is always very willing to listen to my concerns and go with the treatment that makes us the most comfortable..but I feel like he thinks I'm over reacting.

Both this RE and the last agree that I should stay on clomid. They said there is very little evidence that prolonged clomid use can cause damage. As long as I don't develop cysts and my lining stays thick...they say stay the course.

I've never brought up the CM issue before with him so I'm not sure if there's a test. I will go in tomorrow for a baseline u/s and then we will skype with him and get the protocol for our IUI. I will bring it up then.

Me (29) DH (37)

Married 7/11

Actively TTC 3/12

-----All Welcome----

• Rumbera28 said:

I always thought that Clomid can give you hostile/scant CM.  Never been on it myself, so I'm not speaking from experience.

I haven't heard that...but I can totally believe it. That's part of why I figured IUI was our best option. I probably should've mentioned it to him before, but I wasn't sure if it was really an issue. I mean...I have slippery CM around O time...but I wasn't sure how much is needed.

Me (29) DH (37)

Married 7/11

Actively TTC 3/12

-----All Welcome----

• catlover790catlover790 member
    edited July 2014
    Well...that's where it gets tricky @catlover790‌ we have thought about switching REs but that's not really an option. Our situation is a little unique I think. The closest RE to us is about a 4 hour drive but one of the doctors at that clinic works with my OBGYN as their satellite clinic. Basically my OB does all of my u/s monitoring, bw, and will also do my IUI...then I email my RE and tell him what the results were. He's the one that makes the protocol...the OB just does the work. We skype with the RE often and he makes one face to face consultation visit with us every month. When we first started this process, there was a different RE that worked with my local clinic that I LOVED. But, evidently, the rotate every year... So, here I am with new guy...but he's kind of our only option. There's no way I can make 8 hour round trips just to see a different doctor. He's is always very willing to listen to my concerns and go with the treatment that makes us the most comfortable..but I feel like he thinks I'm over reacting.

That is a very unique situation! I'm glad that you don't have to drive all that way; that would be very difficult! I wonder if you asked about femara or went in with what you'd like to do and see what he says?

I have read that clomid can cause hostile CM and that femara supposedly doesn't do this as much. I have heard of a test called a post-coital test that can look at the CM after sex but I'm not sure how it works. I just did a quick search and found some info about it on a fertility clinic website (I would link but I'm mobile) and it looks like it might not be reliable?

I would definitely talk with your DH, decide what you want and present that to your RE at your next appointment. Good luck!

eta: autocorrect changed coital to countable!

TTC #1 Since Aug. 2013

Pregnancy Ticker

• @catlover790‌ I tried femara months ago just to see if it gave me a stronger and more consistent response than clomid. It did not. That's when the dr moved me to 200mg of clomid which has ended up working perfectly each cycle. No less than two good sized follicles every time. That's why I am so sure there's another issue. Thanks for you advice! I'm going to study up with dr google before our skype visit!

Me (29) DH (37)

Married 7/11

Actively TTC 3/12

-----All Welcome----

• @catlover790 - I had a post-coital test done with my ob.  Basically had sex in the morning and then went in to the office a couple hours later.  They used a swab to pull out some of the CM and semen and put it under a microscope to see if the guys were moving around like they should be.  They even let me look at it.  Not that it did us any good.

-----------------------------------SIGGY WARNING-------------------------------------

Me: 31| DH: 36
    TTC #1 Since 07/2010
    DX: Unexplained Infertility
    TX: 
    IUI #1 on 7/3/14 100 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI (44 million sperm, 1 dominant follie) = BFN
    IUI #2: on 7/28/14 100 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI (23 million sperm, 2 dominant follies) = BFN

IUI #3 on 8/22/2014 100 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI (53 million sperm, 2 dominant follies)= BFP MMC @ 7weeks

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"