Cloth Diapering
Options

DIY Wipes and Liners

Hey everyone! I'm reaching the end of this stocking up process and am planning on DIYing some wipes and liners. Wipes I feel pretty good about, I have some I've made out of some receiving blankets already (hand me downs) and am thinking about getting some fleece for some others... Anyone else used fleece for wipes? Did you like it or was it not worth it?

And then on the subject of DIY liners... originally I thought to just have them incase she ends up with diaper rash and needs a layer between some ointment and her diaper, but then I saw that people use them just at night for an extra layer? How (if you do) do you guys use your liners? Just for nasty poops?

And if I do make them, fleece seems to be the preferred fabric... but which fleece? The ones I'm finding at Joanns are polyester... but I thought that it needed to be cotton, or hemp or bamboo... a natural fabric basically to be right up against their skin. Then I'm seeing that microfleece is the preferred, but is that the same as microfiber? Fabric confuses me lol, any help you might be able to offer would be super appreciated!

Thanks everyone! 

Re: DIY Wipes and Liners

• Options
    The point of a liner is to NOT be a natural fiber- hence the stay-dry feel. You want to get micro-fleece though, not regular polar fleece, and that is totally different than microfiber. Microfleece is basically thinner fleece. That does not absorb liquids-just wicks it away and through to the absorbency beneath. Microfiber is super absorbent and should not go against skin. 
    People who use liners at night is not to have an extra layer of absorbency, but to keep the wet natural fibers off babys skin, so they do not get irritated by wetness. 
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    @mrshudson618 You are an angel! Thank you so much !! I'm still a newb obviously :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wouldn't use fleece for wipes for the same reason- it don't absorb liquid, so you couldn't use them to dry baby's bum, and you couldn't use them wet because they don't hold water/wipe solution.
    Married 6/18/11

• Options
    abby8279abby8279 member
    edited July 2014

Wipes- I have never heard of anyone using fleece for wipes.  Honestly, I don't know how it would work?

Fleece liners-  you can (and should) use them if you use a non-cd safe cream.  But there are so many effective cd safe creams that you could just get instead.  And any that are not cd safe will build up on the fleece.  People use fleece at night because liquids go right through it and get absorbed into the diaper.  Leaving the fleece (layer closest to the skin) dry.  It's good for babies with wetness sensitivity but not needed for all babies. Fleece liners may or may not be helpful for poo clean up.  Depending on the poop consistency.  For example- newborn poop will run off the side anyway.  Whereas peanut butter poop can be sprayed of a liner and not the entire diaper.  Either way their is spraying involved.

Material- you will want microfleece only.  When I went to Joanns there was a huge variety of other fleeces and only 1 tiny section of microfleece.  So it may not be obvious to find but keep looking.

Good luck!

• Options
    Thanks guys!! I'm gonna stick with flannel for my wipes for sure. I guess I'll make a couple liners just to have on hand and not stress about it... I think I'm in the hoarding stage of nesting honestly... The buy everything because who knows what I'll need!
  • Options
    dobbysmom said:
    Thanks guys!! I'm gonna stick with flannel for my wipes for sure. I guess I'll make a couple liners just to have on hand and not stress about it... I think I'm in the hoarding stage of nesting honestly... The buy everything because who knows what I'll need!
    We have all been there!
  • Options
    We have wipes that are flannel on one side and terry cloth on the other. I really only use the terry cloth side. It absorbs liquid better and cleans better for us.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Patrick: born at home on January 14, 2014

• Options
    Ok, I'm gonna thread jack. I made some inserts with organic bamboo fleece, was this wrong? I have a full yard left, what can I use it for? I was planning to make wipes and family cloth.
  • Options
    @countrycotton‌
    That is right. Bamboo fleece is absorbent, so great for inserts. I don't see why it couldn't be use for wipes.

What we were referring to was regular polyester fleece. Not absorbent, basically plastic lol.
    Married 6/18/11

• Options
    Thank you! @mrshudson618‌ my inserts work, but I use them as doubters so I wadnt sure they were doing what I thought they were doing. What size is good for wipes? 8x8?
  • Options
    Thank you! @mrshudson618‌ my inserts work, but I use them as doubters so I wadnt sure they were doing what I thought they were doing. What size is good for wipes? 8x8?
    mine are closer to 6x6 because I just cut up recieving blankets, but they are a little small, so 8x8 sounds right.
    Married 6/18/11

• Options
    8x8 wipes will fit in a disposable wipes container when folded in half, so it's a great size. Cotton or bamboo velour also works great for wipes. They are soooo soft!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"