May 2014 Moms

Still feel stuck in the house

DD is 8 weeks old and we are still pretty much stuck in the house. She is happy right after she eats for about 30 mins but otherwise, she is somewhat fussy. She eats about every two hours. She cries in the car seat and when I try the Bjorne or Moby. She will take a few naps a day (usually on me) but it takes some time to get her asleep. She always seems to cry when friends come over or if we try to go out. She has reflux (and is on Zantac) and that has seemed to help and we just started the Gerber Soothe drops two nights ago. She seems to be a little easier than she was a few weeks ago but I thought that I'd be able to take her out and run around with her. Thank goodness my sister is a teacher and comes over twice a week to watch her and provide some company. Anybody else in a similar situation? What do you do?

Re: Still feel stuck in the house

• My lo (10 wks) is same way...screams in car and is fussy lots due to reflux and possible allergies. However, because I have a 2.5 year old as well, we have to get out. I just get in the car and go, otherwise I would go crazy. It doesn't always go well and my lo screams but it is still nice to get out . I get out or have someone over daily or I find my mood gets low. Today we had no plans so I scheduled a haircut for my toddler as a way to force us to get out . Just get in car...it will get easier the more you do it and I find my lo dislikes the car less the more we do it.
  • I feel your pain, however no one seems to understand. My MIL is always complaining we don't visit and my husband makes a big deal out of it as well. Going grocery shopping is hard and we only drive two miles away. (MIL lives 30+ miles away) baby screams in car and most of the day, so MIL needs to get over it! If I'm able to get out on a good day, the last thing I want to do is go to MIL's house anyways! We hang out a lot at home and my mom comes to watch baby if needed. DH also stays home with baby so I can get out. I feel it's necessary to get out a little with or without baby.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm in your same position. DD is 9 wks tomorrow. I couldn't even make the 5 minute drive to Kohls last Thursday BC she hates her car seat so much. On Saturday, MH and I went for the first time to a baby store 20 minutes away. The first 10 min were fine BC she was asleep from before we got in the car. As soon as she woke up though she started screaming to the point where her face got beet red and she had trouble breathing. We had to pull over in a Staples parking lot so I could nurse her to calm down. Not a fun outing at all. I'd rather just stay home.
  • I feel ya. I try to get out with her a few times a week, just to change the scenery. Lucky for me, the mall is 15 minutes away from my house. I time it so that I feed her, give her a few minutes to play and stretch out on the play mat, then pack up and go. I can usually get about 2 hours before she needs to eat again, and as long as we're moving while she's in the car seat (both in the car and in the stroller) she's usually pretty good. It's just enough time to get there, grab some Starbucks, walk around and hit a few stores, then come home to feed. If I'm with someone else I can stay longer, and then I'll NIP while I'm out. For some reason I haven't had the guts to do it while I'm alone. Then if she wants to be held for a bit I have another set of hands to pass her off to or help push the stroller. 

BFP#1 8/3/12~EDD 4/1/13~Natural M/C 9/1/12-9w6d 
    BFP#2 5/30/13~EDD 2/3/14~Confirmed CP 5/31/13
    7/12/13 Hysteroscopy & Lap Lysis of Adhesions
    1st Cycle on Clomid Aug '13: BFP#3 8/24/13~EDD 5/3/14
    Hoping Third Time's a Charm!!- IT'S A GIRL!!!! 
    KAYLIE MARIE IS HERE! BORN 5/4/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie - (nUwf)

All AL-ers welcome in my posts! <3
  • Thanks, it helps to know that we're not alone in this. I do go to a breastfeeding group every Monday but otherwise, I leave her home with DH or my sister. Thankfully she takes a bottle well so sometimes I pump and then can get out a bit without her. I just hate that people see her as a "fussy baby" even though she kind of is.

Maybe I'll try to do little trips a few times a week to get her used to the idea. I just bought a new mirror with lights and music for the car so maybe that will help.
  • I started a walk and talk group where new moms meet up for a walk. If babies cry or need to be nursed etc it's no big deal. We also give each other advice and support. It's a friendly non-judgy environment. You could try starting up something like that to get out of the house and not have to stress.
  • I feel the same way! I hate that I feel like people are judging me as a mom or annoyed with my lo for crying. A week ago (after crying on the phone with my mom while lo was crying), I called the pediatrician to see if we could try increasing the zantac dosage. We did that and she has been a different baby since! She only really cries for sleep, diaper or bottle now. She still hates her car seat but if she is awake, as long as its moving she is fine. Have you tried increasing the zantac?
  • We go to the pediatrician on Tuesday for her 2 month shots so I'll talk to her about the Zantac dosage then. I think she is already on a pretty high dosage, 1mg, 2x a day. She is 11 lbs.
  • I understand, I feel pretty much the same way. It's so hard to even take a shower in the morning, let alone make myself presentable to go out. I really only go to places I can walk to and get home from quickly.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

BFP #1 Jan. 2011 - mmc Mar. 2011 
    BFP #2 Aug. 2011 - My sleeping angel Stella, born April 21, 2012 
    BFP #3 Nov. 2012 - mmc Dec. 2012
    BFP #4 April 2013 - mc May 2013
    BFP #5 Sept. 2013 - EDD 5.24.14
  • We go to the pediatrician on Tuesday for her 2 month shots so I'll talk to her about the Zantac dosage then. I think she is already on a pretty high dosage, 1mg, 2x a day. She is 11 lbs.

Dd was 11.3 lbs at her 2 month check up and they upped her dosage to 1.3 mg because she outgrew it. Definitely ask about that. Sorry you are dealing with this. Toots gets fussy or will cry if I go out and we stop moving. Like f her stroller stops rolling or the car comes to a stop light. It's stressful and I always tense up but I think it is something they eventually grow out of

It's a BOY

• QOTRQOTR member
    I feel trapped by the heat. It really limits our activities. Not to wish time away, but I think I'll really enjoy getting out with him in the Fall (what little bit of it we get in TX!).

@babygiraffe13‌ , I too feel defensive if people suggest LO is fussy! Adults are allowed to have grumpy moments, but it seems like some folks expect/want babies to be cheerful all the time.
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • My DD is the opposite she is great in the car, loves her seat, her stroller or when I wear her. She is fussy and a mess though if we stay home all day and it becomes impossible for her to nap. My problem is trying to stretch out our weekly errands and other activities so that we have something to do each day. Sunday we stayed in and she would not go down for her nap and then became hyper alert/overtired and wouldn't go to bed at her normal time. I am currently looking into mommy and me activties in our area so that I can keep us busy.
  • Exactly what @Kimbus22‌ said. I have to take 20month old DD1 out twice a day or she goes crazy. DD2 doesn't get much of a choice, she tags along in the carrier no matter what mood she's in. She usually gets fussy when I put her in the carrier but as soon as we're out and walking she calms right down and sleeps during the entire outing.
  • Sometimes aa soon as ds gets that tired whine I get out of the house then. He will sleep and I can do something that interests me a while.

OP. Ds hates the moby too. I got rid of it. And the baby bjorn isn't ergonomical for you or baby. They can do a number on your back and they aren't good for baby's hips. I recommend an ergo or similar depending on your budget. Much more comfy. Ds loves his. I'm.eyeing a tula now. I've drank the cool aid.
  • Mine hates carriers! He wants to look around and will not put his head on my chest. Once he has better neck support I think it'll be better

Anyway, we are pretty home bound because I'm not taking him out to public places until he gets his two month shots which is next week. So I feel yah on that part.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • ^ this. My DD hates facing me. She'd rather be turned around. We have an Ergo and she fights it.
  • fraseyfrasey member
    DS usually settles in the stroller. And we have to get out regularly bc Id do insane w DD here all the time! eek. 

I figured out yesterday that other people aren't as bothered by the baby crying as we are. I was w my friend whose baby is 9  mo, and he is teething something hard, totally a crying mess. She was totally stressing and I barely noticed him crying at all, and it really did not bother me one bit! This helps me to feel better when Im at the store or something and DS starts fussing... 
    BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"