May 2013 Moms

Cruise?

I'm looking for some advice, or maybe it's actually validation...

My ILs want to take the entire family on a cruise right before Christmas, so LO would be 19 months old.  It's not a Disney cruise, just your average run of the mill Carnival cruise.  I have politely declined twice now, but MIL keeps pressing the issue.  I do not think this would be an enjoyable experience for DH and I at all, and I'm wondering, am I crazy in thinking that? 

I see it this way--DD still will be taking 1 daily nap, and will still have an early bedtime (between 7-8).  She won't be able to be in the room by herself, so one of us will need to be in there with her for naps and nighttime sleep.  There really aren't any age appropriate activities on a cruise ship for a 19 month old, so my luggage would be packed to the brim with toys/activities to entertain her.  Don't even get me started on the safety of having a small child who is barely walking on a cruise ship with tons of stairs, railings, etc. on which she could hurt herself.  I just think this is an all-around terrible idea, and I can't seem to get that through to my MIL.  What would you all do in my situation? 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Cruise?

• My first reaction to a cruise is that it would be really hard for me to do with my LO because he is not the kind of kid who will sit your lap for more than a couple of minutes and meal times are pretty short for us.   If you have an LO who could sit through an adult meal and would be content to hang by your side then maybe it could be fun.  But, I agree it wouldn't be my ideal.   Could you work out an arrangement where your ILs babysit at list part of the time everyday?
  • My DD is not the type to sit still long either.  And she is now also starting to throw temper tantrums and display typical toddler behaviors that I would rather not have to deal with on a ship. 
  • Loading the player...
  • If it was me, I would go if my family would be willing to help. My husband and I were thinking of going on a cruise with our LO but the only reason we won't is because of the earlier bedtime. Once he's in bed, that's pretty much it for the night and the rooms are small.  I thought about the option of babywearing him at night which I do when we happen to be out past his bedtime but I don't see that working for an entire cruise. 

If your family is willing to help out watching him, I think it's worth considering but I understand your concerns.
  • I'll be the flip side! Carnival usually has a lot of activities to do with the whole family. I'm assuming you are doing a Caribbean cruise and those honestly you do stuff all day and crash at night because
    1) you get into ports usually early like 7-9am and you need to be back on the ship at 5pm. During that time you're all over that port or doing beach/water activities
    2) bring a stroller and she can sleep in that and you can have lunch at the port or go back the ship and have lunch at the free restaurants on board.
    3) after being in the sun all day, you're pooped too and alcohol isn't included. You can pick up some great local rum or beer and have a much cheaper cocktail in your room
    4) it's a free vacation and make sure the ILs take the baby a few nights.

You can always see if maybe they'll do a family all inclusive like Beaches, Atlantis, Disney Resort. There they have dedicated babysitting. I know Beaches resorts have a whole Sesame St section for kids and babysitting
  • emmy236 said:

I'll be the flip side! Carnival usually has a lot of activities to do with the whole family. I'm assuming you are doing a Caribbean cruise and those honestly you do stuff all day and crash at night because
    1) you get into ports usually early like 7-9am and you need to be back on the ship at 5pm. During that time you're all over that port or doing beach/water activities
    2) bring a stroller and she can sleep in that and you can have lunch at the port or go back the ship and have lunch at the free restaurants on board.
    3) after being in the sun all day, you're pooped too and alcohol isn't included. You can pick up some great local rum or beer and have a much cheaper cocktail in your room
    4) it's a free vacation and make sure the ILs take the baby a few nights.

You can always see if maybe they'll do a family all inclusive like Beaches, Atlantis, Disney Resort. There they have dedicated babysitting. I know Beaches resorts have a whole Sesame St section for kids and babysitting

Thanks for playing devils advocate! I guess I was misinformed about the cruise line--it's Royal Caribbean--does that make any difference?

I also researched the ship tonight and learned that DD won't be allowed in any of the pools because all kids have to be potty trained, even just to go in their splash pad. This really bums me out because the 2 other children going are both older and potty trained, and DD is NOT going to like being left out :(

Totally trying not to sound ungrateful, but I just wish they would wait a year to do this when all of their grandkids are old enough to get something out of it.
  • tee18tee18 member
    My in-laws are big cruisers and prefer Royal Caribbean vs Carnival. They view Carnival as a party ship lol. 

I don't love cruises and my DH gets seasick, but if you're good on boats, it would depend on the length of the cruise, how much travel would be involved to get there, and the destination. If it's something like a 6 hr flight to get to the port, and then a 7 day cruise, and 6 hr flight home, with 3+ days at sea, I would be much less inclined to go. If you live near the port, and it's a shorter cruise with less days at sea, I may go. Those full days at sea would be where it would be hard with a LO. 

Also, how good your LO does eating out would be a factor to how hard or easy it would be - so much time is spent at those meals! :) 

I would pull the schedule for the cruise she wants to go on and go from there. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We are going on a cruise with LO in September and we can't wait.  We've been on 2 cruises before, and thought it would be a great vacation to bring him on.  It is Disney Cruise Line, but I think that Royal Caribbean is supposed to be great for kids, too. 

I don't like my ILs, but they are coming with us.  I think that a cruise is a good vacation to spend with ILs because there is so much to do, that everyone can kind of do their own thing during the day (on sea days, at least) and then come together each night for dinner.  Also, this way the ILs can watch the baby once in a while so the adult only areas of the ship can be explored as well.

ETA - I was also bummed when I found out he wouldn't be allowed in the pools.  But then I checked out youtube videos of the splash area onboard, and honestly I think he'll have even more fun with that than in the pool.
    I'm glad to hear there are other parents out there who won't hesitate to cruise with their toddlers--it makes me feel so much better to hear that!  I've done a little more research, and feel somewhat more comfortable with going now.  I think my irritation with this plan has more to do with the fact that our holiday plans changed without my family being taken into consideration at all.  We were originally supposed to be renting a house next to Disney for a few days.  We had planned on taking DD to Disney one day and then spending the rest of the trip going for walks, playing in the pool, etc.  Out of nowhere, MIL decided to change the plans and basically told us they are going on this cruise and taking everyone with, and if we didn't want to go then we could stay home for Christmas instead.  The idea of a Christmas cruise was suggested 2 years ago when my BIL and his wife had a 3 y/o and a 15 month old, and they absolutely refused because they felt their children were too young.  Now that their kids are 5 and 3, it's suddenly a great idea, and DH and I are just expected to suck it up.  I guess my feelings were just hurt more than anything.  I'm sure I'm probably just being overly sensitive, but I didn't appreciate the way things were handled. 
  • I understand where youre coming from I was so upset that my ILs  bc they told us were all going on this trip to a water park resort thing in the winter...I was mad they didnt ask if we were ok with it etc.. we are just expected to go.. Ill also mention they are not the type to help/offer to watch Lo and dont think he needs naps.. they will expect to go to dinner at late times etc when they want to.. I am so not looking forward to it.. not to mention the water parks you usually take a bus to so Ill be the one going back by myself so he can nap..also at this age they seem to lose interest of water activities after an hour or so usually. EEK! Best of luck to you.. I couldnt imagine if they expected us to go on a cruise.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"