Success after IF
Options

Peeing but not pooping in the potty

We are on day 5 of potty training DS and he's been really successful with peeing on the potty. He hasn't had a pee accident for 2.5 days now, which I'm excited about. But in all 5 days, he hasn't pooped on the pot a single time. He's still in a crib so I'm doing diapers for naps and night time and he waits until he's in a diaper to poop, or he just poops on the floor before we can spot him.

In your experience, was it harder to PT for pooping? At this point, I'm just pleased that he's getting the peeing so well, so I'm not overly concerned. I'm just wondering if it's normal to take longer to poop in the pot. Experience?
DH and I are Americans living an adventure in Kenya since 2011
DX: PCOS (annovulatory)
Feb 2012: IUI #1 w/ only 1M sperm and a single follie = BFP! 
Nov 2012: Little buddy born in Kenya
Nov 2013: Trying for a second, still w PCOS
Dec 2013: IUI cycle canceled for non-response
Jan 2014: Break cycle BFP!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Peeing but not pooping in the potty

• Options
    I have read that for boys, peeing and pooping are two separate things and you have to train both. I think you probably need to catch him in the act of pooping and get him to the potty. Is he pooping at nap time or bedtime?

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    @jesselayne8- that's exactly what we had to do for peeing- swoop him up mid-stream and then place him on the pot. A few times doing that, and he started to connect peeing w being on the potty. Of course, we get a lot more "learning opportunities" with peeing than with pooping, since he only poops once or twice a day.

He typically poops in his diaper at the end of his nap and also sometimes when he's waking up in the morning. Yesterday, he even pooped in his swim diaper (cloth) at the pool. Sleeping and swimming are the only times we have him in any kind of diaper or clothing during the day. The rest of the time, he's totally naked so that he/we can see what's going on.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Can you skip nap on a day when you know he needs to poop or wake him early from a nap?

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    Oh boy, I don't even want to know what he'd be like if we skipped his 2.5-hour nap! :) Waking him early might be a good option. Maybe we can try that over the weekend if he still hasn't pooped in the pot.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Oh gosh, my DD did that too and it wasn't pleasant. She was so great on the potty except when it came time to poop. She wouldn't go for DAYS to avoid it, but the doctor reassured me that it was normal for her to do that. She told us to increase her fiber intake and get rid of pull-ups. They became a crutch for her since it was pretty much still a diaper. So we went cold turkey and bought some undies that she got to pick out.  We also kept the little potty around so that if she started to make "the face", we'd put her on right away. Switching her to undies helped so much because she didn't want to get them dirty and it didn't feel good to poop in them I'm guessing. It took a couple of weeks of accidents and adjustments until she finally decided she was ready.
    DH & I: 29
    TTC #1 4/2009 -  DD 2/5/10
    TTC #2 since October 2011
    2IF issues
    7/2013 - IUI #1: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFN
    8/2013 - IUI #2: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFP! Beta #1 (12 dpiui) 8/21: 45  Beta #2 (16 dpiui) 8/26: 301 Beta #3 (21 dpiui) 8/30: 1,929. 1st Ultrasound 9/4 - One perfect sac. 2nd Ultrasound 9/13 - Heartbeat at 124 bpm! Anniversary  

• Options
    We started poop potty training by putting DS on the potty first thing when he woke up because he always pooped in the morning. If there's a routine poop time try putting him on the potty during that time daily if at all possible.
    image DS 7.6.2011 TTC#2
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"