September 2012 Moms

One Millionth Potty Training Post

Has anyone successful done potty training with their S12'er?  

Luci asked to go potty last night and didn't quite make it onto the toilet before she pooped,  So, I think we are getting way closer, or she is just showing random signs again.  Please just tell me someone has done this successfully?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

Re: One Millionth Potty Training Post

• We're mostly potty trained, just not at night.  We haven't tackled that yet.  Honestly, it was all Nancy's idea.  We would have been fine with waiting.

She tells you she has to go potty, runs in the bathroom and goes.  We've done basically nothing.  I know our sitter asks her every 30 minutes or so.  I notice the only tough time she has is when she's really into something else and forgets that she has to go.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• @MarisaKathleen that is awesome!

Do you have her in a toddler bed?  Luci is still in the crib and I am wondering how we accomplish it all at once if she is in the crib.....  I.e. are we going to have to change before we were planning to?

• Loading the player...
  • Yea, she's been in a bed for around 2-3 months or so.

Good luck!!

@hmp1 had posted some great ideas about spending a few days having James potty train a doll so that he'd get the process.  That might be something to look into as well so she's more interested in it. :-)  

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Lots of kids take an extra year to be night trained after they have been day trained. Everything I've read has said that night training has more to do with physical growth than anything else.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • AKB090609 said:
    Lots of kids take an extra year to be night trained after they have been day trained. Everything I've read has said that night training has more to do with physical growth than anything else.
    That is true, I have seen that a lot as well.  And I don't want to push her, and I don't think I am ready to take her out of baby jail.  I can set up a gate to where she can only get to our bedroom and both bathrooms, but I'm not sure I am ready for this....  :-S

• AKB090609 said:
    Lots of kids take an extra year to be night trained after they have been day trained. Everything I've read has said that night training has more to do with physical growth than anything else.
    That is true, I have seen that a lot as well.  And I don't want to push her, and I don't think I am ready to take her out of baby jail.  I can set up a gate to where she can only get to our bedroom and both bathrooms, but I'm not sure I am ready for this....  :-S

DD has no control at night, and honestly I don't want her to have access to the bathroom at night (or anytime an adult isn't with her. There is far too much 'fun stuff' in there. I'm sure I'd wake up one day to a flooded house from a toilet with a full roll of tp. She won't be able to leave her room until closer to 3 or 4, and it might involve door alarms...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • hmp1hmp1 member
    James was potty trained for around 6 months while still in a crib. We never "potty trained" at night. He just stopped wetting his pull up so I stopped putting them on him at night. He never wakes up in the middle of the night to go, he always holds it until the morning. He was already holding it while napping so he wore his underwear all day, even in his crib at nap time.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• I think in the almost two years that Ethan has been potty trained, he's only woken up once in the night to use the bathroom.

Sean is starting to shows signs of wanting to potty train, but not quite ready yet.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • Way late. I PT keagan at 2. He was t overnight "trained" until after turning 3. I really didn't do anything to train him, just paid attention to when he stopped wetting in his diaper overnight. He was in his crib until after his 3rd birthday. I think he has gotten up to pee in the MOTN less than 10 times in 1.5 years

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • AKB090609 said:
    This exactly!  My DD has been daytime trained since she was about 20 months old and she's been in a pull-up at night ever since.  She turns 3yrs old on Friday.  Some mornings she wakes up dry and sometimes she gets up in the middle of the night and runs to the potty.  If she sleeps really deep with no wake-ups she generally has a wet pull-up by morning. 

But OP I think you should run with it if she's feeling up for trying it! 
    Dexter 08/31/2012~Summer 07/25/2011~Jack 10/21/2008~Aaron 08/12/2007
  • Lol. DD was 3 before she "got it" and still needs a pull-up at night.  I'm not trying with DS for a while. He talks about the potty but I think he is more interested in frolicking in the water than peeing or pooping in it.
  • We tried Maya at 2 but she didn't get it.  We tried again at 2.5 and she's been potty-trained since then.  She's almost 3.5 and she's just getting pretty consistently nap-trained.  It's really all about making her pee before she lays down for nap more than it is actual training.  She is not close to night trained and wakes up with a very wet pull-up every morning.  I don't see that there is any work I can do to get her trained, I'm just going to keep on with the pull up until she starts being able to control it better.
  • Thanks ladies!  I think I needed it pounded into my head a bit that night time training is more about her growth and ability than me doing anything.  I think we are just going to give it a shot this weekend and have a no pants party! 

• Not going to even start potty training until he's about 2 1/2.  He isn't ready, and I don't enjoy potty training enough to want to do it for the next year.
  • L is showing some intermittent signs that she wants to potty. Then she screams when I put her on. Honestly, I am not pushing it until we get back from Disney. I have zero desire to rush to bathrooms every 5 minutes or her being so excited she forgets she has to go. I figure we will tackle it in the fall. 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Nathan was showing signs of being ready, so we tried the 3 Day Potty Training, and while he made progress, he isn't potty trained after the 3 days. He would tell us he had to potty AS he was going potty. Yesterday, as soon as I cleaned him up from pooping in his underwear, he peed in the doorway of the bathroom about 2 feet from his potty.

Definitely making progress, but not quite there. However, we're MUCH closer than we were 3 days ago! :)
    Vroom, vroom.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Planning Bio | Married Bio | Blog

• Oh, I should add. I PT keagan in the dead of winter when we were stuck at home anyway due to 2 feet of snow. It does require every bit of your attention

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • We are officially on a potty training break.

DS was doing really well, peeing on the potty all by himself, interested in going, he even picked out his own Thomas underpants  We were using m&m's as rewards (my mom trained my brother and with m&m's so i am doing the same).  then one weekend he was not into going that much.  went a few time but a few times said no sometimes.  we of course didn't push it.  But this all occurred the week we were on vacation and then he was home with me so he had not been to MIL on a Monday in quite some time (with MIL on Mondays, School the rest of the week).  Of course DH tells her he had been going she runs out buys a potty etc.  

So Monday morning he goes there DH tells his mother if he doesn't want to go (and he will say no) don't force him. I knew she was going to put him on that potty because she wanted to see him go but i thought she would have his best interest in mind.  I guess I should have known better.... Well end of the day she drops hims off at our house and tells me he went three times.  hmmm ......   After that DS is almost terrified of the potty, instead of just saying no, he screams no no no.  

So despite watching the Elmo potty video (which he loves, loves Elmo) numerous time, he now has no interest in using the potty.  Thanks MIL.   is there and emoticon for face punching?

my read shelf:
    Sara (smb+jab)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)  

BFP 8/23/11 natural m/c 9/7/11 @ 6w BFP 1/16/2012 C-section 9/16/2012 Health baby boy!
  • hmp1hmp1 member
    auroraloo said:
    what? you people are potty training? man. this is why I shouldn't hang out here, I feel like my kid is behind.
    I'm not potty training. No way. I love the ease of diapers and waiting until James was ready was so easy. I never had to clean up pee or poop from my floor. One of my FB friends is training her 20 month old and said she went through 20 undies in one day. How is that even possible? Nope. I feel pretty confident that when they are truly ready, it is easy and it lasts.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• hmp1 said:
    auroraloo said:
    what? you people are potty training? man. this is why I shouldn't hang out here, I feel like my kid is behind.
    I'm not potty training. No way. I love the ease of diapers and waiting until James was ready was so easy. I never had to clean up pee or poop from my floor. One of my FB friends is training her 20 month old and said she went through 20 undies in one day. How is that even possible? Nope. I feel pretty confident that when they are truly ready, it is easy and it lasts.
    See and I wonder about this.  My sister didn't potty train her girls until they were almost 3.  They did the weekend train and it went over really well.  I don't want to push at all, but I figure that if she is asking, it may be a sign that she is ready....

• hmp1hmp1 member
    hmp1 said:
    auroraloo said:
    See and I wonder about this.  My sister didn't potty train her girls until they were almost 3.  They did the weekend train and it went over really well.  I don't want to push at all, but I figure that if she is asking, it may be a sign that she is ready....
    I'm sure there are plenty of 22 months old that are ready. Leo's class has a girl that is potty trained. Just letting Rora know that besides what is going on in this thread, plenty of us are waiting until next winter/spring/summer to even think about it.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• I don't think she's quite ready yet so I haven't put much effort into it. I can get her to sit on her training potty on her own (typically whenever she follows me into the bathroom), but she never actually goes. 
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Pregnancy Ticker
  • hmp1hmp1 member
    @hmp1 How did you decide James was ready?

We thought about PT this weekend but chickened out.  We rescheduled for a week I have off in September.  DS can often pee on command, and has gone on the potty numerous times.  He does not tell us when he needs to pee or poop though.  He loves going on the potty when we ask him if he wants to go.
    We switched to pull ups at 2 and the daycare put him on the potty every two hours to change him. Once he started to have mostly days of only going in the potty and being able to notify us of wanting to go, I felt like he was ready. To me potty training means you wear underwear now and underwear stays dry. I wasn't really playing up the pee goes in the potty because he already knew that concept and just worked on dry underwear, listening to your body, and being able to hold the urge until you are on the toilet. I won't lie that I was pretty scared of him peeing in his car seat but the first time he told me he had to go while driving, I was able to tell him to hold it until we go to a bathroom and he was able to do that. 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"