May 2014 Moms

reflux babies on Zantac

What dosage is your baby on and how much do they weigh? It was working great on my LO for a while and now shes starting to spit up and get fussy again. When she started it she was taking 0.7 twice a day and she was 10lbs. Shes pushing 12lbs now if not already over and I can't remember when we upped DD1s dosage. I'm gonna call today and talk to the pediatrician about it and obviously won't change anything beforehand, just curious.

Re: reflux babies on Zantac

• Our guy started on 0.6 ml around 8 lbs. he's 13lbs 10 oz now, so he's taking 1.4 ml.

My husband is a pharmacist and upped the dose for his weight. There is a pretty wide acceptable range, but for his weight I think it was 0.9- 2 ml q 12 hours.

At 0.9 ml his was spitting up and screaming the last four hours until he could have another dose.

Mrs. B's Ovulation Chart
    TTC Baby B since 10/2012
    BFP#1 12/27/12 II TWIN GIRLS II D&C 2/15/13 TRAP sequence

Clomid + TI + Acupuncture x 2 cycles

BFP#2 9/5/13 II EDD 5/16/14 II Beckett Ryan born May 10, 2014

• We started at .5ml 2x day (12#) now he's at 1ml 2x day (15#). He got fussy/pukey right before his meds were upped. It's probably time for your LO to have the dose increased.
  • Loading the player...
  • giggler25giggler25 member
    edited July 2014
    My DD is 11 lbs 11 oz and just got put on 0.8 ml twice a day.

Do your LOs take it easily? So far I've given it 4 times, twice with limited amounts staying in her mouth while the rest came out all bubbly. :( I have to hope that the drs / Rx take this into consideration wrt dosage since the recipients are infants. Right??

ETA: the stuff tastes nasty!!!
  • giggler25 said:

My DD is 11 lbs 11 oz and just got put on 0.8 ml twice a day.

Do your LOs take it easily? So far I've given it 4 times, twice with limited amounts staying in her mouth while the rest came out all bubbly. :( I have to hope that the drs / Rx take this into consideration since the recipients are infants. Right??

ETA: the stuff tastes nasty!!!

If I give it to her straight out of the dropper she gags on it, to the point her face gets red and its like she won't breathe. I have one of those little med cups with a bottle nipple on it that came in our safety kit and if I put it in that and dilute it with a little bit of water she takes it great. Best discovery ever!
  • DS is a little over 12 pounds and takes 1ml twice a day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We started at .5ml 2x/day around 9lbs and now she is on .7 at 11lbs
  • We are still on .8 at 9 lbs 12 oz
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Shes always been on 1 ml. She started a month ago and was 9lbs
    Anniversary 

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • becole42 said:

But why give babies who throw up, a med they have to swallow??

That's the million dollar question!

• If I give it to her straight out of the dropper she gags on it, to the point her face gets red and its like she won't breathe. I have one of those little med cups with a bottle nipple on it that came in our safety kit and if I put it in that and dilute it with a little bit of water she takes it great. Best discovery ever!

My DD also gags, turns red-faced and has stopped breathing once. Great thinking of ng it to your LO in the medicine bottle? Unfortunately for me DD doesn't take bottles.... Maybe I will try that spoon thing, though I have a feeling that will get messy...
  • I posted a thread asking how to get the meds in my guy because he spit them out. It was suggested to dilute the meds in a small amount (less than an ounce)of milk a give that way. It's worked beautifully.
  • ljbreck said:

I posted a thread asking how to get the meds in my guy because he spit them out. It was suggested to dilute the meds in a small amount (less than an ounce)of milk a give that way. It's worked beautifully.

Good idea... If only I could get DD to drink from a bottle that would help. I wonder if I could try one of those med spoons.

Q on this though -- my pedi said to give it to her 20 min before eating. Does mixing with milk affect the dosage effectiveness?
  • giggler25 said:

ljbreck said:

I posted a thread asking how to get the meds in my guy because he spit them out. It was suggested to dilute the meds in a small amount (less than an ounce)of milk a give that way. It's worked beautifully.

Good idea... If only I could get DD to drink from a bottle that would help. I wonder if I could try one of those med spoons.

Q on this though -- my pedi said to give it to her 20 min before eating. Does mixing with milk affect the dosage effectiveness?
    My pedi said to give 30 minutes before the next feed so the likelihood of it being spit-up would be reduced. With only a few gulps of milk I haven't had any trouble with him spitting it back up. Most likely that's why your pedi said 20 minutes. I was willing to risk spit-up to be sure he actually got all his meds luckily it's worked out for us because I could never be sure what he was getting trying to give it with a syringe.
  • Was on .5 ml, now on .6 so basically the same, once a day
  • DS is 10 lbs even and we just increased to 1.2 ml twice daily. I also use the little medicine bottle with a half ounce of breastmilk.
  • DS is 12.5lbs and is gettin 1.8ml two times a day. Not sure if it's Zantac or what as it's a generic kind.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • The Zantac stopped being effective and our pedi doesn't want to up the dose again since we just did 7/15 so tonight we're starting 1ml omeprazole 2x/day. Hope this works.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"