Northern California Babies
Options

Male Ob-Gyn?

Hello, I made my first appointment with a female doctor 2 weeks ago. I got a call today to confirm my appointment day after tomorrow, and somehow they changed my doctor to a male doctor :( I specifically asked for a female doctor, and I am a little worried to see a male ob-gyn doctor... Do any of you have a male doctor, and what is it like? I hope I can switch it back to a female doctor, but if not, I am thinking if I should re-schedule. I am at 7 weeks now, and I can wait another week if it is better. Please advise!

Re: Male Ob-Gyn?

• Options
    I saw a male OB for a few months with my first pregnancy before switching to a midwife. It was fine, he was perfectly pleasant and it didn't feel weird at all. However, if it makes you feel uncomfortable, then you should absolutely call and change doctors or reschedule! Do what's right for you. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    thanks Muchlygen :) i tried to change the doctor but they said no other doctor has availability. i went to see him yesterday, and he was so nice! i kinda felt bad that i almost did not see him just because he is a male.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I prefer male GYNs actually. I find that they are gentler. Here is an example. When I was in my early teens, I went to Planned Parenthood for my annual exams. I had no choice in the Dr that I had and was a bit nervous that he was a man. Anyway, that was when they used to use metal speculums. He took a warm towel and wrapped the speculum so that it wasn't cold on my skin. That kind of touch was really nice IMO. I have never had any GYN do that since.

After that, I only had female GYNs until I moved to a new town. The GYN I went to was male and I went in specifically to discuss birth control. I had tried everything and hormones were really doing a number on me and my relationship with my husband. He was the first GYN to suggest a non-hormone alternative and it literally saved my marriage. I use a diaphragm now and am hormone free. I felt like he actually listened to me and provided an alternative that none of my previous Drs did.

I moved to Sunnyvale and had the previous GYN give me a recommendation for an OB in my area. He recommended Dr. Cary Hill, who is the Chair of the OBGYN department at the Sunnyvale PAMF. I really like him as well. 

I am glad that you had a good experience. I think that male OBGYNs are awesome. The end.

FTM - BFP: 1/23/14 - EDD: 10/5/14 - DD Born 9/13/14

• Options
    Until the end of the third trimester, they only check your stomach area - so seeing a male really isn't a big deal if you're modest. (However at the 7 week appointment, I believe they do a transvaginal ultrasound). I had a male for my first trimester, really liked him but we ended up moving so I changed to a woman. If you trust your doctor and have good rapport with them, then it should be fine. 
  • Options
    jenbstevensjenbstevens member
    edited July 2015
    I prefer a female but have seen male doctors. It's all about your comfort. If you really don't want a male doctor then you shouldn't have one, and no one should change your mind. It's perfectly legitimate to be more comfortable with a woman seeing your lady parts! In those first appointments they usually do transvaginal ultrasound and exam, so if it's something you are concerned about then you should call and reschedule!

edited to add that wow I just realized how old this is lol sorry that's probably totally useless advice
    Pregnancy Ticker