Infertility

Antral follicle count

Does anyone else have a low antral follicle count? Mine was six at my baseline. Google is making me depressed. Has anyone here had a good response in IVF with a low AFC?

Official diagnosis: Unexplained IF. I am 32. I have low ovarian reserve (low AMH), and poor egg quality. I've also been diagnosed with mild glandular developmental arrest (lining problems, detected with EFT).

We are using open ID donor sperm. IUIs #1-7=BFN. IVF September 2014 antagonist protocol, 8R,5M,3F, 5 day transfer of 1 morula = BFN. IVF#2 planned for January 2015 (antagonist protocol + HGH).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

Re: Antral follicle count

• pblgepblge member
    Dr. Google is not your friend during IVF! Trust me-I know this from painful experience. Your AFC is probably reflective of your low AMH,but that doesn't mean you can't have a good retrieval or pregnancy. Lots of women (including myself) had substantially more eggs retrieved than was suggested by AFC. But really quality is more important than quantity, so don't worry too much if your don't have a high number. My first RE told me he'd seen a presentation at a conference that suggested the optimal number of eggs retrieved during an IVF cycle was 8!!

Good luck!
    **********************siggy/ticker warning**********************

***Losses mentioned.*** TTC #1 since May 2012. Me: 37, OH: 41. Ectopic August 2012 => tubal damage. :'(  Stage 1 endo removed June 2013. IVF #1 Oct/Nov 2013: Long Lupron with Gonal-F. 7R, 7M, 7F. 2 txfer@3d. Nothing frozen.  => M/C @ 8 wks. :'( Selected RPL panel all normal. Very hyper and brittle response to stims. IVF #2 (antagonist protocol) Feb 2014 => Converted to IUI (Perfect conditions). BFN. IVF #2.1 w/ new RE June 2014: Antagonist protocol. 33R, 31M, 30F, 19 blasts to test!!! I made it through without crashing!! :) Hats off to Dr. Fancypants!! ET of one 5AB blast. BFN. 13 10 CCS'ed snowflakes! FET #1 PUPO as of 7/29 Betas: 8/7@24, 8/9@97, 8/11@334 (etc.) Two sacs on 8/15, one seen on 8/18 after a bleed. U/s 8/25 (6+3) "perfect": 5.9 mm + HB@120bpm! U/s 9/4 (7+6): 15.9 mm + HB@172 bpm! Please, PLEASE stick this time!!!!
    http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae39/catfreeburg/866da40f5178fed79efe23fc8a4e8a_zps4498a9cc.jpgimageimageimageimage
  • @pblge is right - stay off Google! 

On my first cycle, my AFC was 6. I ended up with 8 retrieved, but I had about 6 more that just didn't mature properly. My second cycle, they upped my Follistim significantly, and they got those other 6.

Anyway. My point is, you'll see additional follicles pop up as you stim. And like @pblge says, quality is SO much more important than quantity!

GL!
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    19-year history of endometriosis. Multiple surgeries and cyst removals. Forced directly into IVF due to blocked tubes and severe adhesions.
    IVF w/ICSI and CCS #1 - Dec 2013 - Only 1 normal. Ended in CP
    IVF w/ICSI and CCS #2, at CCRM - March 2014!
    14R, 12 ICSI'd, 11F, 6 for CCS, 5 healthy blasts frozen!
    Two 5BB blasts transferred 9/10; First beta 9/19: 109; second beta 9/22: 550!
    EDD: 5/29/15

imageimage

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I had my baseline today and was ecstatic to get an AFC of 8! Mainly because my last iui my AFC was only 3...I am still nervous though (about how many eggs they will actually get) so I can totally empathize with how you're feeling. I admit that I've googled but try to only read positive stories of success with low AFC's :)

Me: 37 | DH: 41
    TTC Since 2011 DX: Unexplained 
    IUI's #1 - 3 = BFN
    IVF August 2014: FSH 4.1, PRL 15.3, TSH 2.1, W/ AFC 8.
     08/03 ER 5R, 4M, 3F. 08/08 5DT of 1-3AA0, 2 frozen :) bfp @9dp5dt. Beta on 08/20 = 414.
    So excited to have one little bean on the way!!

• Are you certain they did a full count? At my clinic, they do baselines and annual CD3 testing. At the annual testing, they do a full count. For a baseline, they are mainly just checking for cysts and looking at your lining and they just check your AFC to make sure you have something on deck. For me, my annual testing results in an AFC of about 21, but at a baseline, I've heard everything from 6 to 15.
    Me: 34 | He: 40
    TTC since 08/2012
    DX: DOR

• I'm not really sure if they did a full count (I didn't ask this). Thanks for the support, ladies. I'm encouraged that some of you got a reasonable number of eggs with low AFC. I would just hate to go through all this to only get 3 to 4 at retrieval. Fx for lots of growth when I start the stims.

Official diagnosis: Unexplained IF. I am 32. I have low ovarian reserve (low AMH), and poor egg quality. I've also been diagnosed with mild glandular developmental arrest (lining problems, detected with EFT).

We are using open ID donor sperm. IUIs #1-7=BFN. IVF September 2014 antagonist protocol, 8R,5M,3F, 5 day transfer of 1 morula = BFN. IVF#2 planned for January 2015 (antagonist protocol + HGH).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• My clinic doesn't do AFC for every cycle, because they don't believe that it will really change what they had already planned, and it can vary from cycle to cycle anyways, without having a huge difference on the number of eggs that you may get in the end.

FWIW, I had an AFC of 11 (not terribly low) the cycle prior to IVF (when we were doing our work-up for the new RE) and ended up with 18ER and 14M.

image imageimage

***EVERYONE WELCOME***
    TTC #2 with assistance since 03/11
    Me: 33, Autoimmune (Hashimotos and FMS/CFS)
    Treated with Synthroid, acupuncture, TCM and supplements
    DH: 33, MFI (very low on all counts, high antibodies, hemochromatosis)
    Many treatments tried, none successful

IVF/ICSI #1 05/14 - EPP/Antagonist, Gonal-F and Luveris, 18R, 14M, 13F - SET of 1BC, all arrested on day 5 - C/P
    Genetic testing = normal, DNA Frag = excellent
    IVF #2 03/15 - Long protocol with Suprefact, Gonal-F, and possibly Luveris, adding in PICSI

• My counts have been all over.  Initial was 17.  Then I had a 6, and like you I freaked out.  Then I had a "tons of follicles."  i would try not to stress just yet, it seems to fluctuate quite a bit.
  • mm29mm29 member

My last AFC was 2, and I've never had more than 2 retrieved. That being said, my RE assured me the better indicator to get pregnant is age and not ovarian reserve. Like the other PP mentioned it's about the quality than quantity. Good Luck with your upcoming cycle!!

::: Married June 2003:::
    TTC #1 since: Aug. 2008
    Me: 34, DOR, MTHFR-A1298C (heterozygous), decreased blood flow to uterus, Mild Endo
    DH: 38, Balanced translocation 5&10, unexplained MFI, normal SA and SCSA
    Tx History: IUI 1&2= BFN
    IVF# 1 W/ICSI= BFN
    IVF# 2: cancelled d/t no response
    IVF# 3= 1 egg retrieved=immature/not viable
    IVF# 4= c/p
    ***CCRM ODWU***
    Found DHs BT and Me-decreased blood flow to uterus
    Recommended DE IVF w/PGD, incorporate electro-acupuncture. Decided to cycle locally
    ***New RE***
    DE IVF# 1(cycle #6) w/pgd, (freeze all): 30R, 23M, 15F, slow/poor embryo development, 4 biopsied, 1 Normal "Norm"; DE IVF w/PGD, incorporate electro-acupuncture. 
    IVF# 6: (OE/DS) cancelled
    IVF# 7: (OE/DS) 1R, 1M, 1F, arrested day 5
    Plan-DE IVF# 2 (cycle #8): DE/DS in May 2015

http://icanhazbabyz.blogspot.com/
    imageimage image 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"