Natural Birth
Options

Baby's head too big?

My FTM friend is going in for an ultrasound tomorrow because at her 37 or 38 week check up the doctor thought that maybe her baby's head would be too big for her to deliver vaginally. Tomorrow she would be 39 weeks. They discussed that she might have to have a c-section. (Sorry, I don't have any further details yet.)

I will be going with her to the appointment because her husband cannot attend (due to work responsibilities). As another FTM I would like to support her in her decision to have a natural childbirth. I have known of people who were told that their baby might be too big for their pelvis and then they went on to have perfectly normal, healthy, vaginal deliveries. 

What sort of questions would be important for us to ask the doctor? Have you had experience with this and still had a natural delivery? I tried searching for this in another thread and couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance for your help!
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Baby's head too big?

• Options
    I just wanted to add that she is normal size/weight/height for a standard delivery. She has no other medical conditions that would cause a "small pelvis" (like rickets or something). We also know that pelvic size is not a fixed width and that the baby's head will become more "cone like" as it passes through the birth canal. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My kid had a giant head.  In the 85th percentile at birth.  I had a vaginal delivery and no tear.  Heads are designed to compress.  I'd definitely suggest a second opinion.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    My baby's head was in the 85th percentile at an u/s last week at 33 weeks. And nobody has said anything to me about it being too big for vaginal delivery. I mean, I'm of course like oh crap that's a big head... But I still plan on going with a med-free vaginal delivery barring any emergencies.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP: 09/13/13  ---  MMC: 10/25/13
    BFP: 12/25/13  ---  DD: 09/10/14
    BFP: 03/16/15  ---  EDD: 11/30/15

• Options
    aetgaetg member
    I guess you could ask if they would support her laboring in different positions as they contribute to having an more open pelvis.  

If they say no, after having told her she needs her pelvis to be more open...  Well, can't help you there!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I would say do some research because i know today that is one of the BIGEST "excuses" for doctors to schedule a c section. if she is healthy and there is nothing wrong with baby then i would say ask and if the dr still refuses get a second opinion. its her right to choose! its not endangering her and baby so she still has the option of doing it natural. 
  • Options
    I evidently make giant-headed babies. My son's head was in the 99th percentile (off the charts per the OB) and my daughter's head has been in the 90th percentile. I had vaginal births with both, my daughter was born all-naturally after just 7 minutes of pushing.

The way I see it, what's the harm in trying a vaginal birth? The concern with large babies is generally shoulder dystocia (where the head comes out, but the shoulders get stuck). As long as baby is otherwise a normal size, I would think a huge head might actually prevent this from happening (ie once the large head emerges, the shoulder and body is NBD). I'm not an OB or MW though, so I'm not basing this thought on anything medical.

BFP#2:  EDD 2/11/14, MMC confirmed 7/15/13 (growth stopped at 6 weeks), D&C @ 12 weeks 7/25/13

• Options
    Ditto getting a second opinion and that the head will contract to go through the birth canal.  Also, u/s are notorious for being off with the measurements so idk that I'd trust that the u/s is accurate enough to make the decision to schedule a c-section.  If I were in her shoes, I'd tell my doc that I wanted to try for a vaginal birth and make the call for an emergency c-section only if the baby's or my health was in danger.  If the answer is not supportive, I'd find a new doc or even better- a midwife.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My LO had a head in the 95th percentile.  I had a normal vaginal delivery (2nd degree tearing, but not bad at all).  I was induced because of his size (I had GD).  They estimated he would be 8.5#.  He was 9# 13 oz, so I agree with the PP in that U/S can be way off!  You can always get a different MD or get a second opinion.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Followed through with some questions for the o.b. and (long story short) she's good to go! Amazing how two different doctors can have such different opinions. 8-|
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"