May 2014 Moms

Cereal in bottle

LO has colic and AR. We have tried everything except meds. Shes on Nutramigen formula. She's gotten to the point were she is constantly pulling her knees to her chest and ripping the bottle from her mouth. We've done gas drops, colic calm, probiotics, and stirring the formula. The nurse called me and said that her dr wanted me to start putting cereal in her bottle. I asked how many bottles and she was unsure but said for me to start with one. Then I asked how much to put into the bottle and she said read the directions. It says 1 tbls per 4-5 tbls of formula. Bottles are by ounce not tablespoons. Many people have told me that doctors do not like giving cereal to babies under 6 months, she's 3 months today.

So should i seek a different opinion? Should I try the cereal? If so she's eating 4 ounces per feeding how much do I add? Do I change the nipples to her bottles?

TIA
BabyName Ticker

Re: Cereal in bottle

• I'd call back and make them get the specifics from the doctor. It's up to you whether you want to do it or not. All the old ladies swear by it though lol.

I got advice from the doctor to give lo prune juice twice a day when she was about 5 weeks. I didn't feel comfortable so I didn't and tried another formula instead for her issues. I went back to the doctor yesterday, which was two weeks after the initial advice. I went because she's still having the same issues. I ended up agreeing to try the prune juice. It's only been a day but her poop is softer at least. I'm supposed to call back with a report on Friday.

Point of that is... follow it if you feel comfortable. They wouldn't tell you something that would harm your baby. Sometimes they go by they old tried and true things that worked. Imo I'd rather try the cereal than meds.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Following. We have the same problem. But I have tried cereal in one bottle a day and I didn't notice a difference really. I didn't want to increase it because I was worried about the constipation thing on top of him already struggling..
  • Loading the player...
  • We were told to do the same to help with reflux. We were told to give one tablespoon per 2 ounces. We didn't notice a huge difference, but we were also trying a bunch of things. Honestly, we started medication after nothing else worked and it made a huge difference. We were hesitant, but glad we made the decision.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our little guy has reflux and I always heard not to put formula in bottles, but everyone did it years ago. My dr told us to add cereal to his bottles. It has worked great!!!
    We put about one tablespoon in for his 5oz bottle. I don't even measure anymore. I just guestimate!
    It has helped so much! He used to throw up at every feeding and sometimes three times per bottle. Still spurs up sometimes, but less and not every feeding.
    Good luck and I figure what's the harm?! Many babies, including myself, all grew up with cereal bottles.
  • With DS1 we did 1 tbsp per 2 oz.

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• Is there a reason you don't want to try meds? Personally prevacid is working great for my LO, I can really tell if she is delayed on a dose.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Not the OP but we avoided meds as well. Reflux meds for babies (just like for adults) reduce the acid in their stomach. Less stomach acid means the food will be less digested when expelled as waste, which means they are getting less of the nutrition from their food. Acid reducers can also interfere with calcium absorption which I felt was very important for a growing baby. When I discussed these fears with the pedi she agreed 100% and said that was why she tries not to do meds unless absolutely necessary.

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• I'm not against meds if that's the last resort. But so far her Dr hasn't even mentioned meds. Her reflux is almost eliminated since switching to the new formula, using dr brown bottles, and burping every ounce. It's the gas and stomach pains that is causing her problems. I don't think she would be a good candidate for meds, but if the dr wants us to try them we will.

As of last night I gave her a bottle around 5 with cereal and another one around 10. It was the best night we have had! Hopefully the cereal keeps working.
    BabyName Ticker
  • I have my lo on Enfamil AR which is formula with added rice. Maybe you could try that formula?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"