October 2014 Moms

Speaking of Formula

I read the that it's handy to have formula on hand in case breastfeeding doesn't work out, etc.

Anyone doing this? I don't even know what brand new to buy... Any recommendations for a specific brand you use?!

Re: Speaking of Formula

• They usually give you a can in the hospital (a gift from a formula company).

DD - 4/9/08      DS1 - 7/26/12     DS2 - 10/7/14

• ss265ss265 member

I signed up on all three formula company websites and they shipped me sample cans. I have heard that they send you more samples/coupons if you say that you plan on breastfeeding. :) In fact, I plan to do this again but with a different email address for this LO.

Your pediatrician should also have samples when you bring LO in for their first visit.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I didn't stick with breastfeeding for DD. I used up and up from Target (same ingredients) as others. We will do the same with this one if breastfeeding doesn't work out. I will buy one to have when we get home from the hospital just in case, and just buy as I need.

BabyFetus Ticker

Married to my love on 06-02-2007

Mikah Lucille born 03-02-2011

Baby Girl Zooey due October 2014

• SusieBWSusieBW member
    edited July 2014
    We used Target brand, too.  Don't be fooled by name brands, they're all the same, and as long as your baby doesn't need any kind of special formula (for allergies or something), it really doesn't matter which one you use.

As far as hospitals sending you home with formula, ours doesn't anymore.  They did when DD was born, but they're now "baby friendly" or whatever it is, so no more formula unless it's truly medically necessary.

ETA: I didn't answer the first question - I don't think I'll keep it on hand ahead of time.  If I have trouble nursing in the hospital, I'll have DH pick some up to have at home and ready when we get home, and then we'll just buy it as we need it.
  • So we started with Enfamil because it's what the hospital used. I had a breast reduction in 2007 and PCOS so I barely produced anything. First two weeks, he was so gassy and spit up like crazy so we changed to gentlease. No change. Switched to similac sensitive (or target brand) and found relief. I only bought similac brand when I had coupons and it made it cheaper than UP&UP. They are exactly the same.

Moral of my story is don't invest too much into one kind. You never know what will work well for baby. Signing up with each company to get a sample can is a good idea. We did that with both babies.

I purchased similac organic to use when this one is a newborn. However, I got them all from target at a steal and can return the unopened ones if DS2 doesn't tolerate it.

Meagan
    30 dx with PCOS 2010 treating with metformin
    DS1 12-29-11 DS2 11-4-14
    BFP 10/19/13 missed mc at 5 weeks d&c 11/18/13
    BFP 2/16/14 Please stick baby! !  EDD 10/31/14
    DX with septate uterus 3/1/14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Buy buy baby gave me a free container in my gift bag for registering.
    ~First time mama, strikingly handsome husband, comedic pooch, krumpin' baby girl on her way~

• We used Nestle Good Start. I signed up with their website and they sent coupons and samples which turned out to be really good because it was all DD would drink. She hated pretty much everything else. She did have Similac while we were travelling because we couldnt find Good Start but you could tell she didnt like it as much.

We'll probably buy a can for this LO just in case but Im hoping to breastfeed at least until he starts on solids.

• I don't remember if we had any on hand but I'm sure we brought some home from the hospital.  We used Enfamil from the start and DD did really well on it but i know the store brands are the same so save the money!

Also, I've heard from some people that having it on hand makes you more likely to use it than to keep trying to BF but I'm not sure that I would want to be in the position of not producing and having nothing to feed my child...so there is that to consider.
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• AargAarg member
    I just registered to get samples from Simalac and Enfamil! I have about 7 cans so far and they don't expire until late 2015!
  • Thanks for posting! I didn't even think of this last time I was pregnant... it's never even entered my mind...it's weird how you don't think about some things... pregnancy brain perhaps?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers image     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers  image

• I registered with all the companies for sampling purposes. I fully plan to keep some in my house at all times. I think my hospital uses enfamil.
  • I'm going to bring some Gerber Good Start to the hospital.  My DD, as a newborn, had horrific stomach pains and mucousy poops from the standard Similac and Similac Sensitive, and thrived on the whey formula.  Hoping to avoid that completely this time!

• We had a can from the hospital, and I was so thankful!  I woke up the morning that my milk came in, and they were so full, engorged, and SOLID that there was no place for DS to latch.  I couldn't even get a hold of my nipples to self-express.  He was screaming and starving, so DH made him a bottle.  

It gave me a chance to get in a hot shower which softened things up enough that I could express.  Then I had a mad scramble to figure out how my pump worked to take the rest of the edge off until his next meal.  That formula saved my sanity.

I will most definitely have a can at home or even to keep as a backup at the sitter's house in case I don't send enough milk.  We switched to formula around 10 months because my supply dropped after my pump was stolen.  Store brands worked just fine for DS.

You should note that a can of formula expires 30 days after you open it.  It might be smart to start with the smallest can or some single serving packets so if you need the formula in a pinch, but never again, you're not wasting much or the extra packets can be donated.
  • Buy buy baby gave me a free container in my gift bag for registering.
    Make sure to check the date... My free gift bag can expired before the baby was even due. So I gave it to someone who already had a kid.
  • I always kept my free samples until they expired or once my babies turned one and breastmilk wasn't the primary source of nutrition anymore. Just in case! And side note, most hospitals won't give out the formula samples anymore. It's not "baby friendly" so don't count on that!

Once I knew we weren't going to be needing the formula, I offered it up to whoever wanted it on Facebook. Same with the coupons. I posted them and mailed them to the first responder. Just couldn't see any of it going to waste!
    ~Miss K born 1/8/2011~Miss I born 1/3/2013~2 angels~
    Baby #3 is on the way!  EDD 10/29/14

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks so much for all the great info! I is great to know about generic v. Name brand and it is food to know that you have to use it within 30 days after opening. I had no idea!

I do plan to have some on hand even though I'm going into this wanting to bf. I don't mind substituting formula as needed too.

Thank you all!

• ask about formula samples at your OB's office.  i've picked up 2 diferent sample bags with a 4 packs of pre-mixed formula and a nipple.  the gift bags usually have coupons and other stuff in there as well.  i do agree on checking the expiration date- sometimes the date is not long after your due date.

• We got way more than we needed from the hospital, they gave us a ton of the ready to use similac. We also got samples in the mail, a full can and some single serving packets.
    p+c 11.6.04  |  +g  2.4.11
     image image
  • I would only get a can to start with.  You never know how baby will react to it and if your baby ends up being lactose intolerant you might need to go with a "sensitive" or "soy" option. We used Enfamil Newborn for the first couple of months for supplementing but it didn't sit well with DS. We ended up switching to Gerber Good Start and loved it. I also have a SIL who switched formulas like 4 times before finding one that didn't make her son sick. I would recommend choosing one that you like but not stocking up on it until you know that it will work well for your baby. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• I tried to breast feed my first two and ended up having to formula feed. I signed up for coupons and samples from similar and enfamil and they sent me sample cans. It was enough to make a few bottles until I could get to the store and get a can of formula. Both of mine needed sensitive formula for different reasons. If I would have bought formula in advance it would have been a waste since I wouldn't have bought the right formula.

I plan on formula feeding this LO but still won't buy formula in advance.
  • Also, if breastfeeding and formula don't work out, you could always go my mom's route of evaporated milk and vitamin drops. (I'm totally kidding but she did actually do this with me)

• PC0909PC0909 member
    This saved my sanity with DS.  I had a bunch of samples I had recieved in the mail.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I always kept my free samples until they expired or once my babies turned one and breastmilk wasn't the primary source of nutrition anymore. Just in case! And side note, most hospitals won't give out the formula samples anymore. It's not "baby friendly" so don't count on that! Once I knew we weren't going to be needing the formula, I offered it up to whoever wanted it on Facebook. Same with the coupons. I posted them and mailed them to the first responder. Just couldn't see any of it going to waste!
    I did the same thing!  We supplemented a little bit due to weight issues when our son was just a few days old.  Our ped gave us some premixed bottles of formula to use so we didn't have to buy some at that point.   I had several mamas suggest not keeping formula on hand so we would have to make the effort to get formula vs being tempted to use it during a particularly tough breastfeeding moment.  We started supplementing when our son was 9 mo and we mostly used Similac Soy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Nicb13 said:
    MorganWP said:
    Also, if breastfeeding and formula don't work out, you could always go my mom's route of evaporated milk and vitamin drops. (I'm totally kidding but she did actually do this with me)
    It's amazing to hear stories about what our parents did when we were babies! YIKES!
    @MorganWP LOL! This sounds like my mom. When I mentioned to her I was going to bf and didn't want to have to pay as much $$$ for formula she went on and on about what my grandfather said. He was a doctor and this was practicing before formula. They used whole milk and karo syrup. She, of course, used it on my brother and I after we stopped nursing (she had to quit nursing me at 3 months because of an antibiotic she was prescribed). I keep telling her that it's not the same thing any more. LOL 

• ss265 said:

I signed up on all three formula company websites and they shipped me sample cans. I have heard that they send you more samples/coupons if you say that you plan on breastfeeding. :) In fact, I plan to do this again but with a different email address for this LO.

Your pediatrician should also have samples when you bring LO in for their first visit.

@ss265 and others who have received samples: How long did it take for you to receive your samples? I signed up a couple of months ago on all 3 sites, and haven't received a single item, coupon, email or anything yet. Maybe I should try again...

**TTC since 10/2009** **BFP 4/15/12- Dx Molar Pregnancy- Surgery 5/15/12 & 5/22/12** **BFP 1/23/14- 1st Beta (1/24/14) 171 2nd Beta (1/28/14) 860** Pregnancy Ticker

• ss265ss265 member
    @youngin12, it's been a while but I think they sent them closer to my due date. You can always ask at your Pedi's office for samples too.

• youngin12  - It took months to get mine from similac. I got a can from target, BRU, and one from bye bye baby in my registry gift bags.

Meagan
    30 dx with PCOS 2010 treating with metformin
    DS1 12-29-11 DS2 11-4-14
    BFP 10/19/13 missed mc at 5 weeks d&c 11/18/13
    BFP 2/16/14 Please stick baby! !  EDD 10/31/14
    DX with septate uterus 3/1/14
  • The samples came just before and after my DD was born. They sent a small diaper bag, coupons, a bottle and a pack of the premade formula.

• @youngin12 - I signed up all on the same day.  They started sending closer to my due date, except Similac who was dumb and somehow didn't get my registration.  I had to call them to start getting my coupons.

If your ILs or friends are willing, get them to sign up too to get formula checks.  I plan on having my MIL sign up so she can pass along the checks to me.

• FamousEa said:

@youngin12 - I signed up all on the same day.  They started sending closer to my due date, except Similac who was dumb and somehow didn't get my registration.  I had to call them to start getting my coupons.

If your ILs or friends are willing, get them to sign up too to get formula checks.  I plan on having my MIL sign up so she can pass along the checks to me.
    It may just be my area but I tried that and those "checks" were made out to the person who signed up. My grocery stores required ID to use them. Stupid but they did.

Stfu, really? I can't believe they checked your ID! I used those checks like nobody's business everywhere and not one fuck was given by the checkout clerks.

image         image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"