May 2014 Moms

Daycare bottle refusal

My daughter started daycare today (we are doing half days this week to ease in and start full time next week). She was there five hours and only ate 1.5 ounces and kept refusing, fussing and choking. We are home now and she's been nursing a long time. Is this normal first day stuff? What can I do? My son never had a problem with daycare bottles. We did some bottle practice but not a lot. Please give me hope that this is normal...I really hope she doesn't reverse cycle her eating!!

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Daycare bottle refusal

• I posted a bit ago about my little guy taking forever to eat at daycare, so I would say it's normal. Likely not the bottle, but the person feeding him. Daycare hasn't mentioned anything about his slow eating since the first week (it's been 3 weeks now) and he has been eating more there as well. 

I also don't breast feed at all anymore, so that might play into this as well?

Maybe have your hubby feed her a bottle so she can get used to someone else feeding her a bottle?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Normal.

The biggest things that children take a while getting used to is eating sleeping and pooping in new environments.

Just have to get used to the new people new noises new things. And completely normal to be hungry at home as they will need to catch up.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm so worried about this but think it's normal. LO won't take a full bottle and screams bloody murder. I think I'm going to have my mom come over for a full day and have a bottle boot camp. It's really frustrating. Poor DH gets so upset when she won't take one from him. I'm sure dc has seen it all though and will help her transition.
  • I'm sorry. Yesterday was DS first day. Daycare called me at 11 bc all he would do was cry and refuse to eat. So I went during lunch to nurse him (something I cannot do everyday). Today he did better but not great.
  • Sorry folks are going through this. My DD is not at daycare, but being cared for at our house. I work 2 or 3 12 hour shifts per week, and she is flat out refusing a bottle. She went all day Saturday and all day today without eating for 15 hours. I nurse her before I go and right when I get home, but it's still so long! Saturday DH brought her up to my work so I could nurse her once, which was better, but not something we can do regularly. We are now trying syringes, cups, and spoons, none of which has worked great. I called the lactation consultant at work today, and she recommended finger feeding with an SNS, so I ordered one from amazon. Pedi said that since her weight gain is good, they aren't too worried, just to keep trying, but I am hysterical by the end of the day imagining my little girl so hungry. Sorry for the long reply-- I don't think this is typical. I think kids at daycare sometimes take a couple of weeks to adjust, and most feed just fine. My girl seems to be particularly stubborn.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Sounds kinda like reverse cycling - eating less during the day (at daycare) and waiting to be with mom to take in the bulk of his/her calories.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks all. She ate two ounces in five hours today so hopefully that's progress:) otherwise I might need to get used to the idea of no sleep for a while.

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"