2nd Trimester
Options

Am I the only one feeling crappy 2nd tri?

Everywhere I've read that the second trimester is infinitely better than the first--more energy, less mood swings, less nausea, etc. I'm 17 weeks now and the past two weeks have been hellacious! Maybe it's because I was largely (and blessedly) free from nausea during the first tri that the 2nd seems feels worse, but I'm exhausted, irritable and am having serious digestive issues (sorry for the TMI!) though my diet hasn't changed.

Am I the only one?!

Re: Am I the only one feeling crappy 2nd tri?

• Options
    mb314mb314 member

I haven't had an easy 2nd tri either.  I am almost 25 weeks, and it's only been the last two weeks that I've started to be able to stomach normal food (and even now, I still have bad days).  For me, I realized my stomach issues were not necessarily morning sickness, but due to heartburn/reflux, and I started on medicine which has helped a lot.  Unfortunately heart burn increases during the 2nd tri (as can other ailments, like back pain, headaches, etc). 

With this pregnancy and with my last, I never got a 2nd trimester energy boost that other people talk about.  I am still just as tired.  And as, I get bigger, I'm feeling more tired. 

You're not alone!  I hope you feel better soon - talk to your doctor or midwife about your digestive issues because a lot of medications are safe to take for those types of issues.  Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I feel a lot better this trimester, but still not perfect. I know this is the "energy" trimester but tell my napping butt that. ;)

I have friends who went through the same, still having nausea and discomfort during the 2nd tri. Might just take a little longer for it to ease up for you. :( Sorry! Hope you're feeling better soon.
    Married 11/2008. Started TTC January 2014.
    BFP 3/30/14. <3 EDD 12/4/14
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am still just as exhausted as the 1st tri, if not more so. I am blessedly free from nausea and sickness, but I am so tired that I take naps during my lunch as well as when I get home :(

• Options
    I was actually just thinking that.  I have been soooooo tired!  Not sick but just exhausted!  I was going to talk to the doctor at my next check up.  I just have no energy to do anything!
  • Options
    I'm 17 weeks now and my second trimester has been much worse than the first.  First trimester was a blessing, I didn't sick and at and I wasn't overly tired.  Second trimester is kicking my butt.  I've been in the OB office about 4 times the last 3 weeks between colds, infections, and other fun pregnancy things....just waiting for the great second trimester feelings to kick in.
  • Options
    I feel horrible... much worse than first tri...
  • Options
    I'm feeling a bit better but still dealing with food aversions, vomiting, no energy at all. I'm hoping that the good days will outnumber the bad ones the further along I get.
  • Options
    i know i just joined the second trimester and im feeling SLIGHTLY better but not really... so far ive had bad morning sickness ALL day long and am just exhausted. I even fall asleep while Nick and I are on our way home from work, it's awful!

• Options
    I was just thinking about posting this today.When I hit 19 weeks this week I was miserable and in so much pain.The 1st trimester was a breeze for me I'm a little nervous about this 2nd one.
  • Options
    You're definitely not alone. I had other women tell me that 2nd tri is the "golden trimester" because the 1st and 3rd suck. Well, 26 weeks in and I still have quite a few bad days. I still take Zofran and other meds daily, not to mention my energy is still kind of low. Right now, I'm just taking it one week at a time.
  • Options
    kc192kc192 member
    edited July 2014
    Well... I spent most of my first tri thinking I might not actually be pregnant due to the complete lack of symptoms. And about a month ago I had a UTI, which then turned into a kidney infection, then started to get better but came back with a vengeance that landed me in the hospital for a few days, where I picked up a virus that felt an awful lot like the flu that I'm still recovering from, and yesterday I broke out in an all over body rash from having a fever for 6 days straight....  so yeah. It's been a crappy second tri. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker  

• Options
    I'm not nearly as nauseous as I was and my diet hasn't changed much but I still have random morning sickness (thankfully not nearly as often) and am exhausted. Overall I feel better but still don't feel that improvement a lot of people talk about. 

@kc192, what a terrible ordeal! sure hope you are feeling better soon! 

**siggy warning**

Me: 30 dx w/PCOS 7/13

DH: 31
    TTC 11/12
    started Metformin 9/13
    HSG, tubes open but narrow uterus... f/u with RE 3d u/s everything 'normal'
    2/14: hopefully 1st IUI... timing off before trip, waiting until 4/14
    3/27: POAS= BFP!!!
    3/28: beta#1: 108
    4/2: beta#2: 799
    4/11: u/s 6w1d EDD 12/4, 1 little penguin!

7/7:  We're having a girl!
    12/11: after lots of labor/delivery/nicu excitment baby Piper Mae born 1859 @ 8lbs, 21.5"

• Options
    kc192kc192 member
    @lmlee15 - thanks!! Today has definitely been the best I've felt all week! The upside is... I've been able to lay around and read and watch a bit of TV with no regards to cleaning the house or or making dinner or doing anything really. sooo... silver lining? :)
    BabyFruit Ticker  

• Options
    I'm going on 25 weeks and I have good days and bad days, but I never got the huge energy boost like everyone talks about. I'm always tired even on my good days. I have lower back pain more than anything. This is my first pregnancy. I'm actually going to try and do some yoga to see if that will give me any more energy and hopefully the streching will help my back. Hang in there your not alone! :D
  • Options

Hit 14 weeks and felt great (which was a massive relief)... hit 15 weeks and the nausea came back accompanied by my new friend the constant low grade headache that won't go away!

Today is 16 weeks and at least both have backed off a bit but still present.  Overall I am feeling better then my first tri but still not feeling "normal" if that makes sense.

• Options
    I'm also 17 weeks and I am just starting to feel pregnant. I never had morning sickness or nausea, or any other digestive issues. I'm exhausted all the time, super irritable, I barely have BMs, and I had a sinus infection that lasted 2 weeks, even with antibiotics. I'm totally with you. The second trimester is way worse!
  • Options
    I had a super easy first tri, too.  Heard from friends about this amazing burst of energy I would get in second tri...yeah, not so much.  I'm not falling asleep at 8pm like I was, but I am definitely still more tired than my pre-preggo self.
    BFP on 4.3.2014
    EDD 12.10.2014
    DS #1 born 12.16.2014 - He's perfect!

• Options
    taralatarala member
    Other than feeling tired and having 2 threatened miscarriages, first tri was more worrisome than anything else.

At 14w3d I still get tired every day around 3:30/4 and have started to develop a dull headache each afternoon. I am also starting to have lower back pain, which I am surprised is happening so soon given I have only gained 2-3 lbs.
    I thought second tri was supposed to be easy?

Ella Rose

1/17/15 born via IVF w/ ICSI

Spontaneous Twins!

Due January 2016

Follow our Journey

• Options
    see8esee8e member

Thanks for all your feedback, ladies! My doctor recommended adding ground flax to anything I can to assist with BMs (e.g. yogurt, cereal).

Also, I have to say, that I ALWAYS feel better after I work out. It's the hardest to thing to get myself going right now (and I ran a half marathon my 6th week!!), but it pays off.

Lastly, my Snoogle came in the mail 3 days ago and I have had the 3 best nights of sleep IN.MY.LIFE. I wasn't even that uncomfy before then (or so I thought), but a blessed 8 hours of good sleep has done wonders for my mood.

Thank you again!

• Options
    I'm 20 weeks along and my round ligament pain has been HORRIBLE.
    Has anyone else had this? I had to leave work early - I couldn't stand up all the way. I was nervous it was pre-term labor contractions but dr. assured me, after an appointment, that everything was fine. You know...besides the pain...
    First Time Mom

ITS A BOY!!!!!

• Options
    I have a ton of hip and back pains. My sleep habits have gotten so bad I had to move to the couch because I wouldn't sleep well in bed. I don't know what its like to not feel tired and to not be in pain. I just keep telling myself its all worth it.
  • Options
    Yikes, I have been doing pretty well in comparison. First trimester was pretty good, occasional exhaustion at work. But now I find myself asleep for 12+ hourse easy on my days off :-) And lately mild cramping, all the time. No blood- just noticeable and a little worrisome. I dont think I get enough water if I am not working, I dont like the taste of our well water at home.... I do think I need a support belt already! But I started with a belly :-)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm 14 weeks so I just joining this second trimester club but my nausea is worse, my sinuses are worse, and my tiredness is creeping back in! I cant focus at all at work its really crappy!  I was looking forward to the energy they talk about to get some renovations we'd had planned pre pregnancy done and get in some good workouts before I'm too big to care! haha
  • Options
    The morning sickness went away at the start of 2nd trimester but I'm tired all the time now. About gave up on the "energy burst" you're supposed to get...all I have is drooping eyes and a non-functioning brain. I sleep good at night too so its not from lack of sleep. 
    Some days are better than others. Today not such a good day I'm so tired and feeling puny. 
    2nd Trimester being "golden" yeah my butt! 
  • Options
    I am almost 14 weeks and although my energy came back a little around week 11-12 my ms is still here (Although I do get some ok days now) and I feel terrible still
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"