Cloth Diapering
Options

Travelling and Using a Different Washer

I'm heading to the grandparents in a few weeks and we have not soft but not hard water (probably closer to hard), but my inlaws have soft water. I use a full scoop of powdered detergent at the moment, but I am also sure I can't use powder in her HE machine (or she might not let me).

How can I modify my routine without going to spoises?

Re: Travelling and Using a Different Washer

• Options
    Why can't you use powder in her HE machine? There are lots of powders that are formulated for HE. What are you using?

If it's just that she is personally opposed to powder, would she be okay with it if you pre-dissolved your powder before adding it to the machine?

In general you use slightly less detergent for soft water. Just make sure you check the diapers at the end for any fragrance/detergent residue. You might add an extra rinse to be sure.
  • Options
    Powder can be used in a HE machine as long as it says HE on the box.  

Usually the rule of thumb is HE machines require less detergent than non-HE machines.  And soft water requires less detergent than hard water.  

For example: at home I have a HE w/ hard water.  I go to my mom's house who has a traditional top loader and soft water.  I use the same amount of detergent in both places.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hubby said I couldn't but maybe he'a saying that just because he's not sure.

I use sunlight powder. No idea if it's he. I'll have to look on the box.

Oh and she's got a front loader and I have a top loader. Any tips there?

I mean I'll probably wash once maybe twice so it's not the end of the world but I don't want to have to come home to re wash.
  • Options
    I have an HE front loader and use tide powder for diapers. I use liquid 7th generation for clothes. I just have to take out the liquid detergent holder for my diaper loads. As long as your powder is ok for HE washers, there shouldn't be any technical reason you can't use it.
  • Options
    Some HE machines will have a little piece of plastic in the detergent dispenser that you have to raise or lower depending on whether you are using powder or liquid. So, that might be one thing to look for. Otherwise, I can't think of a reason not to use your own detergent, provided it is an HE detergent.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. I'll check the box once the sleeping babe on top of me wakes :)

Worst comes to worst I'll wash and line dry and if that messes them up I'll bag them and wash when we come home.
  • Options
    Ah I'll keep that in mind. I guess if you need less soap it'a tricky to make sure you don't put too much in :)
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I just got back from 10 days at my mom's. Washing went okay. I think she had detergent build up in her machine or my soap wasn't washing out like it should. Logan had redness and funky smelling dirty diapers after the first wash. I washed the next load with an extra warm rinse on top if my normal routine. That fixed it.

If you can, watch the last cycle as it spins out. You can usually see extra soap if it's not all rinsed. When in doubt, throw an extra rinse in there. ;)
    Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"