December 2012 Moms

Taking toddler to OB/midwife appointments?

In another thread, I read that some of you mommas took your LOs to appointments when you were pregnant. How did that work? Did you have to get the ok from your OB or midwife? Were there appointments that you didn't take them to and/or parts that you left them out of? I think I'll have an internal exam at my next appointment, so I don't think that one is a candidate! Do you really think it helped your LO to adjust to the new baby?

Re: Taking toddler to OB/midwife appointments?

• jac409jac409 member
    DD has come to all of my appointments so far. I bring a couple of toys and a snack for her and it keeps her occupied for the most part. If I have an ultrasound or something more involved than the usual checkup, DH comes anyway, so he helps with her. I didn't get permission from anyone. I just take her. The doctors and nurses love her and are always good with her, especially the doctor who delivered her. As for whether it helps her understand what is going on, who knows? We have another ultrasound this week, so we will see how she reacts to it. For your internal, can DH or someone go with you to help with your LO?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't bring DD. She would prefer to be at daycare than at the doctor's office and we've never been able to get her to stay in her stroller without screaming. It's very difficult for me to ask questions when I'm trying to keep her from crying. I find her appointments stressful for that reason. I guess it probably depends on the personality of your LO, but I would only bring DD if I absolutely had to. I would be surprised if doing so helped her understand the situation any better, but maybe I am not giving her enough credit.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• *LrCg**LrCg* member
    I use a midwife & she highly encourages spouses & children to attend all appointments. She even does evening & Saturday appointments to accommodate. Our appointments are either at her birth center or our house and its always been pretty relaxed. She has toys out for kids. They're never shorter than an hour & its basically conversations about the pregnancy, birth, questions/concerns followed by measuring & listening on the Doppler. I've never had an internal during any of my pregnancies so that was never an issue for us however we've always been open with our kids & detailed about what would happen. I think it helped my kids in adapting.
  • JessAnnJ said:

I don't bring DD. She would prefer to be at daycare than at the doctor's office and we've never been able to get her to stay in her stroller without screaming. It's very difficult for me to ask questions when I'm trying to keep her from crying. I find her appointments stressful for that reason. I guess it probably depends on the personality of your LO, but I would only bring DD if I absolutely had to. I would be surprised if doing so helped her understand the situation any better, but maybe I am not giving her enough credit.

This. DD isn't very patient when it comes to waiting in one place and being quiet. Even with a toy or two, I wouldn't trust her not to try getting into stuff, having a fit because I won't let her in the trash can, etc.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• I try to make other arrangements, but sometimes it's unavoidable. DS does best strapped into the stroller with snacks, juice, and books.

my hero wears kevlar Pictures, Images and Photos

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"