Working Moms

colic and daycare

It's been a while since I posted here. But I'm going back to work soon and starting baby #2 in daycare. #1 was an awesome easy baby. #2 is a colicky mess and I'm worried about how he will do at daycare and how they will handle him.

Any advice, hope, ideas, etc? Any hope for me even that this colic will get better would be great too!
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: colic and daycare

• My experience with colic came in the form of my pediatrician telling me that it is believed that colic is related to undiagnosed food allergies (not necessarily in all cases). I trust my pedi - she raised 5 children and has been in the business a long time. You may already know all this but I thought it worth mentioning just in case!

This is assuming too that I recall accurately what my sleep deprived brain heard nearly two years ago.

So I guess what little I can share is that our daycare was very helpful in giving DD only the foods that I sent with her as both her and my (breast feeding at the time) diets were very restricted. Oh, but I lost TONS of weight so there is another silver lining. :)

• ns1ns1 member
    @SunAndRain‌ Thanks! I've been toying with the idea of trying to eliminate dairy since LO doesn't have mucuousy poops...just fussiness. But I think I might the more I look into it and the more LO screams.
  • Loading the player...
  • Like PP, I had good luck with eliminating dairy (fortunately, I was able to add it back in after a few months) and giving probiotics (biogaia which I believe are now gerber). Good luck it sucks.

DD Nov 2010 ~ DS June 2012
  • I would talk with daycare to ease your fears. They've probably dealt with many colicky babies.

I really relied on DS's infant teachers for their expertise and guidance. I didn't know anyone with kids IRL and had no family. Between his teachers and TB, we made it through that first year.
  • I was really worried about my LO for this same reason too. Eliminating dairy might be a good option! I had stopped nursing early and LO didn't do well on regular formula. I pressed the issue with our pedi- he had a face rash and excessive crying and we started him on nutramigen and he became a new baby. 

If you eliminate dairy out of your diet, give it a good two week before you decide if it's working or not. It took my LO a little bit of time to get the dairy out of his system. 
  • I can't give advice re daycare because DD had a nanny for the first year. She had colic until 6-7 months. I believe it was due to multiple food intolerances. I tried eliminating common allergens, then full elimination diet, then Nutramigen and finally, Elemenatal formula. She started to get better after we did elemental formula. She clearly had GI issues--constant watery diarrhea with mucus and blood, horrific diaper rash, along with the no sleep and endless screaming. It sucked.

The good news is she outgrew it all. She is the happiest toddler on the block and has no food allergies. There is hope!
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • ns1ns1 member
    Thanks for all the hope ladies! I'm going to try to eliminate dairy. DS had his first day today and I'm going to try to hold off until noon to call and check up!
  • DS was a mess right up until 10 or 11 weeks-which is good, because he went to a small, in-home daycare at 12 weeks. He wasn't completely colic free, but the provider was amazing with infants and knew how to keep him mostly happy. I had tried cutting out a few things (since I was BFing) but none of it worked. He just grew out of it.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Our lo had bad colic and I was terrified of it not working out at daycare. I went up to the center before she started and talked to her lead teacher extensively beforehand and even requested they move a swing in there, since that is her happy place at home.

However, she had massive improvements at the 12 week mark, and she started there at 13 weeks. I'm pretty sure her teachers think I'm delusional b/c they always tell me how easy she is.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

\image  image

• Both my kids had colic. DS was done around week 13-14 and my daughter just became a new baby at week 11. Babies often act differently at daycare than for mom and they have all kinds of magic tricks at daycare and they have seen it all with babies, try not to worry:)

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"