1st Trimester

Updated- How far along/help deciphering ultrasound

edited July 2014 in 1st Trimester
This is our third child but our first "surprise." With our first two (and one loss) I was charting so I knew when I ovulated and my due date. This time I'm clueless. I was on he mini pill but missed a couple. I know conception had to have happened sometime between the 15th and 26th of June. I had a feeling I was pregnant and finally got a positive test on Tuesday July 8th. I had an appointment with the ob that Thursday and an ultrasound that Friday since I couldn't tell them for sure when we conceived and I wasn't having periods on the pill. She said I was definitely pregnant based on my physical exam. The ultrasound, however, showed nothing the tech said. Leading to massive anxiety. I had betas done Monday the 14th and Wednesday the 16th which were 689.7 and 1646.

My anxiety decreased a bit after that. Then I got my ultrasound results from the week prior. From google (because google is always right of course lol) it looks like she may have seen a small sac. This is what it says "no intrauterine or ectopic pregnancy seen. There is no adnexal mass. A small amount of anechoic free fluid is seen in the cul-de-sac, within range of physiologically normal. There is a 3.1 x 3.0 cm anechoic right ovarian follicle or cyst. The left ovary is normal. The endometrial stripe measures 17mm in thickness.

Impression: differential possibilities include early non visualized intrauterine pregnancy, failed intrauterine pregnancy, or no visualized ectopic."

Considering my betas doubling appropriately I'd think it was just too early. If that is the case how far along was I at that point, most likely? I'm assuming 5'weeks, but could I have been as far as 6 weeks without seeing anything? I have a follow up ultrasound Wednesday. Hoping to see something but not getting my hopes up.

* this is mostly curious it's. I know I'll get answers on Wednesday. Thanks!

Re: Updated- How far along/help deciphering ultrasound

• There is just no way anyone on here can answer your questions. I have no idea what you just said. 

But I hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy! Good luck!

Hey I'll take it! Thank you for the well wishes. I think I'm just letting my worries get the best of me but typing it out helped a bit. Sorry it doesn't make a lot of sense though!
  • You'll have to wait for your appointment to know what's going on, but based on only seeing a small sac I would guess you're more like 4w pregnant. Betas doubling is a very good sign.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had an ultrasound at 5 weeks and a few days (now I don't remember exactly but definitely before 6 weeks) because if bleeding. They didn't show me any pictures but measured the baby and detected a heartbeat. So my guess is you're really early and will get more news next time!
  • I had negatives but they were at least a week before the positive. I was able to turn a digital positive the next day, in the afternoon. When I was charting for our prior pregnancies I was never able to turn a digi until 14dpo or later.

I guess my actual question is, is it possible to have been 5 weeks to 5w3d at that point? I hate not knowing exactly how far along I am. I've never had an 'oops' and I think it's making my anxiety go crazy and I'm not thinking through things rationally.

As for my ob, this is a newer practice for me. I told her that I was pretty sure I was 5 weeks at the most but all they seemed to hear was "a pill baby!" I really like them otherwise so well see. The nurse explained the u/s results but it was the standard "it could be too early but prepare to miscarry!" Speech. I wish they just done betas first. It would just be nice to have a due date ya know?
  • If your betas are doubling, I would hold on and wait. I am surprised they would do an u/s so early. My midwife waited until my betas were above 8,000 which indicated there should have been a fetal pole (and there was).

I would wait a week or two and there should be more to see - sounds like you are definitely pregnant!
    Baby #2 - BFP 6/13/2014 - EDD 2/17/2015 BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's ridiculous that they said you were "definitely pregnant" by your physical exam. No physical exam sign other than feeling the baby move is a definite pregnancy indicator. But I agree with the others -- you're pregnant & just too early to see anything. They just did the u/s because who knows; you were on the mini pill & not having periods; you could have been 12 weeks. (I'm assuming they did the u/s before your beta results were back...?) The "prepare to miscarry" stuff was really unnecessary with your perfect betas!! 
  • I just had my first ultrasound yesterday at 7 weeks and 5 days. And the only thing I could really see was the flickering of the heartbeat. No baby shape or nothing else yet. So it could be way too early to see anything on a scan. Don't worry. 

Today you are pregnant. You have 9 months to catch up to know exactly how far along you are. 

Me: 30
    Hubs: 31
    Married: 05/04/2013
    BFP#1: Natural Loss; 8/12/14
    BFP#2: D&C 3/7/15

Chart Stalk:

• Betas look great. I am guessing along with everyone else that it was just too early to see anything on the ultrasound. Good luck at your next appointment!

FYI we have 2 little ones at home and this is our first "surprise" baby. Definitely a different feeling!

BFP 5/21/10, Missed m/c 7/5/10 at 11w3d (baby measured 7wks), D&C 7/7/10

Aug/Sept 2010 - CD3&10 b/w & u/s, genetic testing, SA, HSG, & Lap/Hyst to remove septum

12/09/10 BFP -- 7/05/11 DS born at 33w5d. Came home after 23d in NICU at 37w0d

June 2012 - TTC #2! -- 10/05/12 BFP --  5/23/13 DS2 born at 37w1d! Yay full term!

Surprise BFP 6/25/14 LO#3 due Feb2015!

imageimage
  • Had my follow up ultrasound today.....saw the yolk sac and the very beginning of a fetal pole! Measuring 5w6d. Will most likely go back in a week or two. Very relieved :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"