May 2014 Moms
Options

Milk allergy question

So, dr. said DS is just colicky. If it's reflux it doesn't matter because he's gaining weight well. Well...it matters to me because I have to hear my baby screaming so I wonder...

I see a lot of links between milk allergies for bf babies and reflux. I'm thinking of trying to go dairy free but since LO doesn't have the typical mucuousy poops I wonder if that means it's not an issue. He has about a poop a day to every three days and their yellowish tan, not seedy. Any thoughts? Would it be worth it to try a dairy free diet does it sound like that's not an issue?
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Milk allergy question

• Options
    Following. No real advice but I started going dairy free today. Doctor said reflux but some other issues make us think dairy. Hang in there!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Just keep in mind it takes two weeks to get dairy out of your system. Hang in there!!

Mrs. B's Ovulation Chart
    TTC Baby B since 10/2012
    BFP#1 12/27/12 II TWIN GIRLS II D&C 2/15/13 TRAP sequence

Clomid + TI + Acupuncture x 2 cycles

BFP#2 9/5/13 II EDD 5/16/14 II Beckett Ryan born May 10, 2014

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure our DD has a milk aversion. While prego I ate cereal like I got paid to. Now if I have a bowl of cereal/ice cream/ big glass of milk, I can see a huge change in Adyson's mood. She is a very happy easy baby!! And let me tell you if I have a glass of milk before bed she is a demon child for a good chunk of the next day. I've spoke with the pediatrician about it and they said she doesn't have a real milk allergy as she's gaining weight, she doesn't have blood in her poo or any other type of reaction other than her mood. Well that's enough reaction for me. So I still eat some dairy, cheese on things or if it's in foods, but not glasses of milk or ice cream etc. If I were you I'd take out the big portions of your dairy intake for a couple days and see if you see a change. They say it takes weeks to see a difference but I noticed one right away with adyson. Good luck!!
  • Options
    My DS was super fussy every evening and had some reflux symptoms. The gas though seemed almost painful for him. I read about milk intolerances causing gas issues and figured since none of the drops were working I would give it a try. For us it made a huge difference and made him a completely different baby. I have heard that it can start being added back in at 6 months.
  • Options
    I've been dairy free for a week and just had lo at the dr today because he was having mucus poops for almost 2 weeks, but I didn't know it was mucus. They did a test and it came back positive for blood.
    It does seem like dairy/soy is linked to so many issues. If you think it will help your lo then I say try it.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

BFP #1 Jan. 2011 - mmc Mar. 2011 
    BFP #2 Aug. 2011 - My sleeping angel Stella, born April 21, 2012 
    BFP #3 Nov. 2012 - mmc Dec. 2012
    BFP #4 April 2013 - mc May 2013
    BFP #5 Sept. 2013 - EDD 5.24.14
  • Options
    I also have stopped dairy and have noticed a huge change in her behavior. She's much less gassy and doesn't have the same fits out of nowhere! Even in the evenings which uses to be her rough times things have been much smoother. I've also noticed that if I have pepperoni or salami it really upsets her. I really don't think she has an allergy but certainly a sensitvity to my eating lots of cheese, etc.

It's probably worth a shot if it gives you some relief! Good luck!
  • Options
    Almond milk has been my saving grace in this regard. Also I've substituted veggie cheese slices. It tastes pretty close to sliced American cheese. I will still have milk or creamer in my coffee from time to time but I make sure to wait to feed for at least two hours. I think DS has a reaction to the coffe not necessarily the milk.
  • Options
    ns1ns1 member
    Hrhodes78 said:

Almond milk has been my saving grace in this regard. Also I've substituted veggie cheese slices. It tastes pretty close to sliced American cheese. I will still have milk or creamer in my coffee from time to time but I make sure to wait to feed for at least two hours. I think DS has a reaction to the coffe not necessarily the milk.

Cheese will be the hardest for me!! Where do you find the veggie cheese?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    ns1 said:

Hrhodes78 said:

Cheese will be the hardest for me!! Where do you find the veggie cheese?

I have not been able to find veggie cheese without casein or soy in them.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

BFP #1 Jan. 2011 - mmc Mar. 2011 
    BFP #2 Aug. 2011 - My sleeping angel Stella, born April 21, 2012 
    BFP #3 Nov. 2012 - mmc Dec. 2012
    BFP #4 April 2013 - mc May 2013
    BFP #5 Sept. 2013 - EDD 5.24.14
  • Options
    It doesn't necessarily take 2 weeks for dairy to be out of your system. It's dependent on metabolism. Both of my DDs had MSPI and I noticed a difference in behavior (less tummy issues, decrease in rash, etc.) within 48-72 hours. It's worth a shot.

I second Almond Milk and Daiya makes a good dairy free cheese (shredded, sliced, cream) you can buy at Whole Foods or Natural grocery stores. So Delicious makes amazing dairy free ice cream and coffee creamer too.

imageimageimage

• Options
    I think it's worth a shot to go dairy free for a few weeks.  It can't hurt, right?  My daughter was awfully fussy and part of it was due to reflux.  She was on zantac, but it wasn't until we realized that she had a dairy issue that things started to improve a bit (I mean, she was still kinda a nut and still is, but that's another story lol).  I EBF her from day one and ate dairy as usual.  I did not notice any weird poops or any of the classic signs of dairy allergy.  Well, I got pregnant again when she was three months old and by the end of the second trimester my supply dropped enough where we needed to supplement with formula.  As soon as we gave it to her she broke out in hives head to toe.  A blood test confirmed that she had a milk allergy.  I wish I had known earlier!  Cut out dairy and see what happens.  Good luck :)

DD born 6.13.11 at 37w5d

DS born 5.23.12 at 36w5d

BFP 6.9.13|heartbeat of 128bpm 7weeks|7.23.13 ultrasound revealed no heartbeat|natural m/c and d&c 7.25.13

DS born 5.20.14 at 38 weeks

All are welcome

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I totally got this thread and another mixed up, and it won't let me delete my comment. I have a MSPI baby but she's a formula baby, so I don't have any breast feeding advice.

Don't mind me. It has been a very long 8 weeks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"