Breastfeeding

Pumping Location Problem

Background: I have a 7 month old. I work full time for a company with about 50 employees. I normally pump 3x a day (10:45, 1:45, and 4:45) in a file room located near my desk (the only unoccupied private room in the building).

Problem: The company is remodeling. The room I use to pump was not going to be touched. However, they started construction last week and that room does not have any power. I asked HR, he said I could still use the room I would just need a flashlight (haha…I didn’t try to explain). He told me power would be back on by the end of the day (I pumped in a co-worker’s office for the day, she was nice enough to step out for that time). My son and husband came to work with me W-F, so I could just feed him directly and not worry about it. Today, the room still doesn’t have power.  I asked HR and he said there are no other areas available.

What should I do? I can use my co-worker’s office when she is at lunch, but otherwise I don’t know. I could get a car adapter – but I’m not sure of the logistics on that either (that seems pretty exposed as well).

Ideas? Construction is supposed to last for at least 4 months. I want to be able to pump/nurse for as long as possible.

Re: Pumping Location Problem

• Well, because of the construction we are down to one private bathroom for all of the women. HR thought the co-workers' office (two part time women share a small office) would work. Ugg! I hate to interrupt their work as well 3x a day for four months. 

Thursdays would be a huge problem because both women work that day. Friday isn't an issue because neither of them work.

My husband (a stay at home dad) could bring my son most every day (but I work an hour away from home) and it's getting too hot for them to hang around. He's irate that work won't find another place for me.

• i agree that they need to make accommodations for you. i'd print this out and give it to them: https://www.dol.gov/whd/nursingmothers/Sec7rFLSA_btnm.htm

that said, i think most pumps sell a battery pack adapter (just one that takes regular batteries, not the car adapter). but i think your workplace really needs to get a better set-up for you.

• Loading the player...
  • Is there an outlet near the room you normally pump in that you could run an extension cord from? I would be showing them the laws on breastfeeding since construction is supposed to last 4 months, which could easily be 5. If it were only 4 days that's one thing, but 4 months is a long time and warrants another arrangement being made.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The car isn't that bad, just use a nursing cover. But agree with PPs, it's the law that they need to find a place for you and it can't be a bathroom according to the regs. Print it out and show it to HR.
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• basil2basil2 member
    Agree with pp's but I also understand even if it's the law/ your right it's not always comfortable to make a fuss.
    I've pumped in the car with a cover many times and would do that over a bathroom (the only issue is the time lost going to/from the parking lot). It would be worth getting a car adapter so you know you have that as a back up plan in case the in office options are unappealing.
  • eggmankateeggmankate member
    edited July 2014

I was going to suggest an extension cord. I heard from an LC that the PISA car adapter is actually stronger than a regular wall plug power supply. However, the battery in PISA is not as powerful as wall power supply. I don't know what kind of pump you have, but I'd assume the same would apply for other pumps.

I agree that even though HR is providing a room in another employee's office, for you to have to provide them with your schedule 3x/day for 4 months is a PITB and not really a "reasonable accommodation".

TTC since April 2011. DH Dx MFI in February 2012. BFP #1: 7.16.12. MMC dx: 8.22.12, D&C 8.28.12, TTC Again November 2012. DH Varicocele repair November 2012; Repeat SA showed "dramatic" improvement February 2013 (awesome!)
    BFP #2: 3.26.13, EDC: 12.7.13. Anya born December 9th, 2013!
  • I'm pretty confident I've pumped in the car somewhat close to 1000 times by now.  Never used a cover.  I agree with @casey78 no one can really see anything with the angles (not to mention my pumping bra and my shirt).

Breastfeeding Jewelry - Mother's Day - Phlox and Pendants, Origami Owl Charms and Plates - Cropped - Square Vicky

Working Mother to 2.5 Year Old Sagan (Sagan's Medication-Free Hospital Birth Story) and 10 month old Dyson (Dyson's Medication-Free Hospital Birth Story)

In my limited "free" time, I've been experimenting with 3D printing breastfeeding pendants and breastfeeding charms for Origami Owl Living Lockets

I also collect Views While Nursing when I'm out and about and would love to see *your* Views While Nursing too!  : )

• I pump in my car 3xs a day every day. I go to a parking lot where someone won't walk up right next to me, hop in the backseat, put on a nursing cover and use a sun shade on the window closest to me. Never had a problem. FYI though for me the suction isn't as powerful with a car adapter but it works. Good luck!
  • I would definitely doublecheck the law and remind HR about it, but for the immediate need I would do whatever I could to pump in my car. Even if they are not complying with the law, you need to find a place to pump ASAP. It sucks to do it in the car, but it's got to get done. I don't know where you park your car but if someone's going to go out of their way to creep on you in your car, that's their issue not yours.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMe: 40  H: 38

***TW***

****trigger warning****

1 LC, girl 5 years old

TTC #2 Summer 2017

BFP 1/5/2018, MC (D & E) 2/23/2018

TTCAL May 2018

BFP 9/20/2018, MC (D & E) 11/16/2018 :'(

• The HR guys is a lawyer so I'm pretty sure he knows the law - the bathroom was never mentioned.

He said the co-workers' office was the only option. There are only 8 offices without windows in them (huge windows to the hallway). Three are the owner and the 2 VPs. That leaves 5 filled offices (including the one they propose I use). I guess, I feel stuck. I don't know if it is stress or what, but I pumped 12 oz yesterday (including one early morning pump at home); today I'm just under 5 oz and only have one more pump session to go. Ugg!

I guess, I'll make do with the co-workers' office and buy an adapter for my car. My co-workers have been great with the idea and super accomadating. Thanks ladies!
  • PP had a lot of good suggestions. I would keep pushing for them to provide you with a permanent place to pump 3 x a day. Don't feel bad about using your coworker's office. You are entitled to a place to pump! That's ridiculous for your husband to have to drive LO all the way to you, unless your employer is going to reimburse for mileage. ;) I pumped in the car everyday on the way to work, but there is no way I could make that work during the work day, especially in the summer. It gets extremely hot here, and I wouldn't be willing to sit out there and be uncomfortable or waste my gas running the car! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"