Natural Birth
Options

HOME BIRTH?

How many of you ladies have done home birth? What was your experience? Did you enjoy it? Those who have more than one child, did you try a home birth and a hospital or birthing center birth? Which did you find the most comfortable and productive, or which would you do again given the chance? 
Endometriosis Confirmed 
2 Large "Chocolate Cyst" Found
Both Ovaries 
Post op as of 10-02-14 BFN 

Re: HOME BIRTH?

• Options
    I've had two homebirths.  The first one was supposed to be a birth center birth, but she got in a hurry.  I have nothing but positive things to say about my birth experiences, even the first one where I caught her by myself.  It's great to not be on anyone's clock and to not feel like you have to defend yourself or your choices at such a vulnerable time.  I am a very internally focused person during my labors and can not imagine dealing with hospital staff.  Also, I had one contraction on a bed and it was 100 times worse than any other contraction I had in either labor.  I'm so grateful that I can move as needed and never need to worry about getting into bed for someone else's convenience. 
  • Options
    I have two sons, both born at home! I loved them both, and I'm looking forward to doing the same with this little one. The first one I labored in water for a long time, which felt fantastic. The second one happened so fast they didn't get the pool filled up in time, lol! 

While I haven't experienced a hospital birth myself, I assisted at them as a doula, and both my sister and sister-in-law had hospital births - my experiences through these have made me very grateful that I had only home birth experiences.

I love talking about birth and home birth, so if you want to ask me any more/specific questions, let me know!

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    *LrCg**LrCg* member
    I've had 3 homebirths so obviously I loved it because I kept doing it. Prior to having kids I was present for my niece's hospital birth (it was not a natural birth it was induced & medicated at one of the most popular hospitals in our city) & from that experience I just knew I wanted something different. When I compare my experiences with my friends' hospital births its just night and day. I personally couldn't do a hospital birth but some people couldn't do a homebirth. You just need to do what YOUR comfortable with.
  • Options
    both mine were home births :D planning it again for this third one as well. Would not consider doing it any other way.
  • Options
    I have had two home births, and planning on doing it again for the third due in march! Loved it! My first i moved around but ended up on our bed the second i did water birth. i will be doing water birth again because i loved it so much!! 
  • Options
    MuchlyGen said:
    I have two sons, both born at home! I loved them both, and I'm looking forward to doing the same with this little one. The first one I labored in water for a long time, which felt fantastic. The second one happened so fast they didn't get the pool filled up in time, lol! 

While I haven't experienced a hospital birth myself, I assisted at them as a doula, and both my sister and sister-in-law had hospital births - my experiences through these have made me very grateful that I had only home birth experiences.

I love talking about birth and home birth, so if you want to ask me any more/specific questions, let me know!
    I love talking about birth and hearing birth stories!! i am close friends with a student midwife, she will be done with school and training before i have this next one! 
  • Options
    I'm also planning my second home birth. My first was an amazing experience. I was never stressed nor did I feel pressured into anything. I loved being at home and in my own bed!
    Mommy to Emery Vera 5.20.12  Blog
  • Options
    I had my first in a hospital with a midwife (natural birth) and a doula attending me. That was fine, but nothing special.  I had my second at home and it went really quick, he was out 5 min before the midwives and doula got there.  It was a great birth.  We rented a birth tub and he was born in the water, which was nice. My husband liked the birth tub aspect because then any mess was contained to the tub and afterwards it was out of the house.

I had only a few complaints about the hospital birth experience, but definitely preferred the homebirth for several reasons.

I liked not having to travel; I think knowing that I was already at my place of birthing helped things progress quickly.  It was also very nice to just be tucked into my own bed afterwards and not have to be woken multiple times in the night by nurses checking this and that. 

It was easier with my older daughter--we didn't have to find someone to watch her in the night when I was giving birth, she just slept on upstairs. We had arranged for someone to take her out the next day in case I was still in labor then and needed to focus.

I also preferred the continuity of care available with a homebirth.  By that I mean that I had a much much higher chance of having the midwife present at my birth be the same person I'd gotten to know at all my prenatals.  I think that personal connection is important and safer, since they might be able to spot problems more readily knowing you and what you are ilke.  With the hospital birth I got whichever midwife was on call and to this day I wouldn't be able to pick her out from a lineup.  That said, you can probably find hospital midwife practices that are smaller than the one I went to where you can meet them all and have a higher chance of that continuity of care.  I've also heard that family practice doctors (not OBs) who do births can be really good this way, they'll be the one to come in to the hospital and attend your birth.

The after-birth care was also better with a homebirth--they did several home visits in the days following the birth, vs. the hospital where you go home and then there's nothing until a 6-week follow-up appointment unless you encounter problems and have to seek out follow up care (and go to them).

My husband was unsure about homebirth until we met with some midwives and he got his concerns addressed.  Now he loves it and would definitely do it that way again.  I would too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    #1 was a hospital birth with epidural
    #2 was a hospital birth - natural
    #3 was a homebirth/waterbirth
    #4 was an unassisted HB/waterbirth (not planned unassisted, it just happened so quickly that my MWs didn't make it in time)

I much prefer the homebirths.  My reasons are mainly because I am a control freak and didn't like giving over the control at the hospital.  Also, recovery is much better at home.  I got zero rest following the births at the hospital, but at home I was comfy in my own PJs/bed with people bringing me home-cooked food.  I could snuggle with my other children, versus being in the hospital with #2 and not being able to see my oldest following the birth.  I love that with a HB my babies never left my side and I was present for every procedure or check-up, because it happened in bed right next to me.

The care I got with my HB MWs was far superior to that of my hospital-based MWs with the first two.  Much more thorough and holistic.  I felt like they cared for me not only physically, but also spiritually and emotionally, which is equally important to me during this process. 

If I ever have a fifth, I will be planning another HB.  I would never want to do it unassisted again, because that was a little scary, but there is nothing like a planned HB! 

• Options
    soulcupcakesoulcupcake member
    edited August 2014
    I'm planning another homebirth. I was pretty set on wanting to birth at home with my second daughter back in fall of '06, but there weren't any homebirth practicing midwives in my area at the time. So I planned a natural birth at a hospital. Though it was a great experience, and I pretty much got what I laid out in my birth plan, I could have just stayed home. Being at the hospital only reinforced the "What's the point in being here" feeling. I was already very pro-homebirth after having my eldest, and once I was pregnant again I reviewed my options. But such options are limited in certain states, especially NC where the midwives that typically practice are not recognized or licensed by the state.

It wasn't until I was pregnant with my first son that I was able to finally plan a homebirth. A midwife had recently started a practice in the area. She just started her practice after I had my second daughter. She was awesome. I adore her. Since my "labor" with my second was only 47 minutes it only made sense to plan a homebirth, and we were preparing for unattended since my midwife lived an hour away.

I lived in Atlanta when I was pregnant with my youngest, and it has a much better "crunchy"/homebirth/alternative community, and while CPMs are not recognized by the state, it is not as hostile toward them like NC. I had a great midwife with him, too. That time I decided I wanted to try for a waterbirth, but was reluctant since I have very precipitous labors/births. We knew it would take two or so hours to fill up the birth tub, in which case it would be futile since he would likely arrive before that. But since we planned to induce anyway we figured there was a good chance I'd get to have a waterbirth because everything would be ready to go. Nope.

It was indeed ready, but I never made it to the birth tub. I didn't experience "labor," and I only had four to five back to back contractions until his birth. I was on the phone with my mom and definitely not in labor. I was frustrated and impatient that things were taking what seemed like forever to start. My midwife and her apprentice were sitting on the couch watching Christmas movies. No one was ready. I wasn't ready. Roughly two minutes after I got off the phone with my mom he was born abruptly on my bed. Just BAM! "I'm here!" So, it was definitely not what I envisioned in my head where it would be quick, about an hour or less, but enough to "experience" the process and have a waterbirth.

This time. I'm not so sure about planning another waterbirth. I may just hang out in the shower here and there and create a nest in my bedroom. My midwife with my youngest said to prepare for an unattended birth even though my midwife lives only five minutes away. Haha.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Options
    I had a home birth with my second but even though it was a good experience, I decided to deliver in the hospital with my third.  I'm glad I did because we had a sudden, true emergency during delivery and I can't even imagine how scared I would have been if that had happened at home.   I really feel like the team of professionals at the hospital saved my baby.  Knowing that we had immediate access to an OR, a NICU, a neonatal resuscitation team, etc., was very reassuring.  Thankfully none of those were necessary, but they were there if we needed them.

I'm lucky that my hospital was awesome.  They supported different birth options, our baby never left our sight, etc.  Having nurses to help me in the first 24 hours after delivery was really nice.  I was a little sad to leave.  If I ever had another baby, which I don't plan on, I would deliver in the hospital again.  

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had my son at home 3 years ago, and am in my 3rd trimester with my second, which I plan to deliver at home again with the same midwife as before. It was the most magical experience I could have ever hoped for. It was intense, no doubt, but totally surmountable. I always describe natural labor and delivery as similar to any physical challenge, like a marathon, or weight lifting. You have these moments of intensity where you know you have to push through, and then you get breaks where you're recovering and getting ready for the next set. With a great trainer/coach, in this case, your midwife, you can do this with encouragement and support like you probably will not experience in the hospital, since you never know what nurse will be on staff, and how many other patients she/he is tending to, and your OB may or may not be the same one you have worked with your entire prenatal period. Also, the safeness of being in your own home is unparalleled. I just felt at ease my entire labor, and that's why I'm choosing the same route again. Can't recommend it highly enough.
  • Options
    SidraJediSidraJedi member
    edited August 2014
    I had a homebirth. My midwife was very professional and reasonable. My pregnancy was textbook though baby refused to come out until the eleventh hour.

I received good prenatal care. They listened to my dramas and gave sound medical advice. They respected our wishes for the birth.

I labored from 12am to 11am. It was hard at first because I didn't know how to relax through the contractions. I was seizing up and not breathing. My midwife got there about 5am, checked me and i was at six cm. she helped me to breath and vocalize to try and relax. I ended up singing through contractions! At about 11am, I asked to be checked for a second time. Baby was almost crowning. My MW wanted me to pee before pushing but I couldn't, so they helped me back to the bed and we all got me into a good pushing position. I tried to push slowly and many times to slowly stretch out but I was jut over it. I pushed hard on the next contraction. Baby came flying out in 4-6 pushes at 11:28. DH was not allowed to catch bc MW ha a concern about shoulder dystocia (it did not happen but I understood and appreciated her concern). DD was put on my chest with a towel to nurse and have akin to skin and my bottom was assessed. When DD was done nursing she was given her examination.

The MW cleaned everything up after and threw together a snack for me. They went out to get some breakfast and sutures and when they came back I was stitched up and given instructions about monitoring baby's temp.

Postpartum care was good too.

We paid out of pocket and saved so much money birthing at home vs the hospital.

Alinall I had a great experience and will be planning a homebirth for our next.
  • Options
    We are planning a home birth, albeit not in our home because it is illegal for our midwives to attend a home birth in AL. So we will be in a home in TN. 

Only chiming in to say that everything I have heard and read has agreed that your labor will be shorter and more comfortable where you can relax. For some women, this is the hospital because they feel very uneasy about not having emergency services close by. For some women, they love the birthing center because it sort of meshes medical care and a non medical environment. For others, their own home or a home environment is best. With my low risk pregnancy, I believe I will labor better in a non-medical setting. But it's not for everyone that is for sure and you do take on some different risks with each option. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    #1 hospital
    #2 home

Future: home!
    I loved our home birth!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Patrick: born at home on January 14, 2014

• Options
    Nothing but positive memories and feelings from my home birth. I was planning natural hospital birth until my doctor passed the final line of my patience. At 37 weeks I decided to have a home birth and found my midwife in 2 days. I plan to have this one at home as well.
  • Options

ALL of these just confirmed how I feel I had pretty much made up my mind but every one kept telling me "You will be in too much pain" what if something happens or goes wrong" But I keep feeling like we have been having babies before doc and hospitals it's a very natural prosess right?

Endometriosis Confirmed 
    2 Large "Chocolate Cyst" Found
    Both Ovaries 
    Post op as of 10-02-14 BFN 
  • Options
    I had my daughter at home 2 years ago.  It was such a quiet, relaxing, peaceful experience.  My midwife was amazing.  I hardly even knew she was there until I really needed her.  People are always going to question things that they view as unconventional.  I say go for it and don't even give it another thought!  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've had one birth center and one homebirth! My next that's due in April will be a homebirth too. I had 2 water births. It was amazing and the thought of another kind of birth terrifies me. Haha we are also not finding out the sex this time.
  • Options
    I had a home birth with my daughter in 2012 and had a wonderful experience. We're planning another one for our second baby that's due in March! I wouldn't want to do it any other way.
  • Options

ALL of these just confirmed how I feel I had pretty much made up my mind but every one kept telling me "You will be in too much pain" what if something happens or goes wrong" But I keep feeling like we have been having babies before doc and hospitals it's a very natural prosess right?

Yes! It is natural. :) Check out the first 2 chapters of the book Mind Over Labor for a real in depth description of what birth is like, physically, and remember to trust your body- we were made for this! Also good midwifery care is so amazing and supportive, from what I've read about OB care, it really doesn't compare!
  • Options
    I had a home birth that was assisted with a highly trained team of people.  It was beautiful, frightening, spiritual and really painful :) but would do it a million times over again.  The bonding I had with my husband during delivery was absolutely priceless.  I also think I got better post partum care from a midwife than most
  • Options

Check out www.hypnobabies.com I had a natural, med-free birth in a hospital for my first child using the techniques I learned from this program.  I had very little pain.  I even feel asleep at one point when I was already 9cm.  I plan for a home birth for this pregnancy and can't wait to use Hypnobabies again.  You don't have to experience horrible pain! 
  • Options
    I had one hospital birth and a home birth with the second. Baby #3 WILL be a home birth. I LOVED every second ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"