October 2014 Moms

PSA: fruit recalled due to possible listeria contamination

2»

Re: PSA: fruit recalled due to possible listeria contamination

• I agree completely- thank you!!
    Also, everyone, be sure to call your *SPECIFIC* market because it seems that some did and some didn't have shipments that were recalled. BEST OF LUCK and here's to illness-freedom!
  • A friend of mine in Dallas, TX just texted that his wife is in the hospital right now being tested for listeria. Apparently, she was experiencing some horrible symptoms after eating a bunch of fruit from Sam's. No news yet on her condition.

imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • @saragoeswest, I hope your friend/his wife are OK! Please keep us posted!!
  • @saragoeswest, PS is she pregnant? your friend's wife?
  • BateygirlBateygirl member
    edited July 2014
    Great!! Just ate 2 plums and have been eating plums all summer!! I have felt fine, but wondering if I should bring this up to my OB. I haven't received any calls from anyone about recalls like others have though. Does that mean I am in the clear?
    photo dbaecfec-59da-460e-869a-826dd66875a3_zps43c49e35.jpg photo 4a7ced0a-1acb-4f20-8f41-75f07539e4a1_zps6af4c30d.jpg Lilypie Maternity tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @babystuff42‌ thank you. Say a prayer for her. Yes, she is pregnant.

imageimageimage
  • @bateygirl unfortunately, I don't think so because my nectarines came from Trader Joe's and they didn't call me...I called them to see if they were doing the recall, and they said yes.  For Kroger's owned stores, though, you can look at their website and find which particular stores were affected.  I had some nectarines from Ralph's but it didn't look like any stores in my area were affected by the recall.  
    I would definitely mention it to the OB.  They probably won't do anything--my nurses said to let them know if I had an GI symptoms....I find this scary because sometimes listeria is asymptomatic....but I am trying to just relax and not worry too much about it... (easier said than done, right?)

@saragoeswest  hope your friend is ok.  so scary.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you for this info @mcclan03 ! Where did you find this info about the Australian levels and the levels the US fruit tested at?

And @Summer322 please let me know what your doctor suggests when you hear from them! Fingers crossed for all of us!

Thank you both :)
    Hi - Found the levels on the latest company statement (from 7/22, I think) from Wawona. There are only levels for the Australian fruit. For the first test at the US Wawona facility, where 3 fruits tested positive, they're saying they didn't test for levels. (Which is a little suspect, or negligent, if you ask me.) There aren't levels for the subsequent US tests, either, because those were negative.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• mcclan03mcclan03 member
    edited July 2014
    Well, I got a call from my Wegmans on Monday and threw out this weeks fruit, but I've been eating peaches and nectarines daily since May, so ahem.... I've had no symptoms that I know of - I had diarrhea one or two days in the last month but nothing that lasted and I can attribute that diarrhea to at least three other reasons. No flu like symptoms that I know of. When I called my OB's office the nurse said I can't get the blood test unless I show symptoms and I checked in with my GP to see if he'd administer blood test just as a precaution and he told me the same thing. So.... going to just have to hope and pray. Uggh....
    I know our doctors are just following the guidelines about this, but I still think it sucks that they won't administer a simple blood test. Something I read, I think on the CDC, said very low levels of listeria are actually everywhere (well not everywhere, but very common), so I wonder if the tests can yield false positives or something.

Anyway, most signs point to the risks in this case being very low, so I'm hopeful we're all just fine, but given the consequences, it still makes me a little anxious. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• @mcclan03
    I totally understand. I'm also so anxious and giving myself a stomach ache with all the nerves! I think our best bet is to keep calm. The info about the Australian levels testing the peaches at a 10 (when in Australia they sell anything under 100) makes me feel a lot better to. This is on the Wawoma website if you wanted to read it- I posted it before too.
    POSITIVE THOUGHTS!! :)
  • Just remind me if I get pregnant again in the future and happen to go on vacation in Australia, not to eat fruit. I don't think my nerves could take it! I'm such a hypochondriac.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"