October 2014 Moms

Re: PSA: fruit recalled due to possible listeria contamination

• That's just great...my breakfast yesterday was a peach muffin from Wegmans. I suppose if I'm ok today, I was spared, right? :/
    imageimage
  • MrsSinner402MrsSinner402 member
    edited July 2014
    Am I reading this correctly, that the fruits were only sent to Wegmans, Costco, and Sams Club stores?

*January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails*

imageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Awesome, I bought peaches from Costco. I don't think they were from the packing place listed in the website and I've felt totally fine, but now I'm nervous. Calling our Costco when they open. Thanks for sharing this!
  • @MrsSinner402‌ from what I read I believe they were also sent to Trader Joe's.
  • Thank you for posting this
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Holy cow! My main cravings in pregnancy....peaches, plums, pluots, nectarines.

Thank you for sharing this!
    ~First time mama, strikingly handsome husband, comedic pooch, krumpin' baby girl on her way~

• Thanks for sharing. I bought plums at Sam's last week. I only had 3 and I washed them really well but I also read that Listeria could take 30 to 90 days to show up so now I am freaking out a little. I'm debating calling my Dr. just as a precaution to see what they recommend.

Married: 7/9/11

TTC Since: 10/13

EDD: 10/29/14

• mcclan03 said:

Emerald27 said:

That's just great...my breakfast yesterday was a peach muffin from Wegmans. I suppose if I'm ok today, I was spared, right? :/

I'm not an expert but I think if the peach was cooked in the muffin, you're okay. Heat/cooking kills listeria.
    I called Wegmans to verify that it was just the fresh peaches that were recalled (I have a bag of frozen peaches in the freezer for smoothies that I bought last week), and also mentioned that I had eaten a peach muffin from their bakery yesterday. The lady looked it up and said that they don't use fresh peaches in their muffins, so they are fine. It's the tarts and other goods made with fresh peaches that are at risk.
    imageimage
  • ugghh - thanks for sharing. I eat a peach or nectarine organic from Wegmans every day. I seem to be okay - but going to call my Wegmans to find out what is being stocked right now - as they do list dates. And if it was packed between June 1-12, pretty good chance I already ate whatever was packed in that time - as its now a month later. Uggh.

Lilypie - (urRB)

• I purchased my nectarines and plums last week from Meijer, but they were from California. So I'm going to probably toss them all even though they're not on the list or in any of the photos because I'm crazy like that. :-<

imageimageimage

• i was at my local food lion (NC) this morning and they had a sign at the checkout about all the peaches/ nectarines/ plums being out of stock for being recalled by the producer but didin't list a reason why.  this must be it.  i ate peaches and plums from there this week and so did DD.  now i'll go read the article and see what i need to obsess about until i'm sure i'm in the clear.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well, this household just finished off a whole costco tray of nectarines and pluots smh.
  • Thank you!

DH: 33 ME: 33 married: 4/24/2014 FTM expecting a baby girl

• Has anyone been able to get a definitive list of the stores or states that sold the (potentially) contaminated fruit?

I'm sure most of us have eaten a peach or nectarine in the past six weeks. So frustrating that the press release doesn't list retailers or states. I think that a blood test can show whether you have listeria, and (please don't quote me on this - I'm not a medical professional) antibiotics can be administered in some cases.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I have no idea what a pluot is and haven't heard of it til this thread. I'm guessing a plum mixed with an apricot?

image         image

• mcclan03 said:
    Has anyone been able to get a definitive list of the stores or states that sold the (potentially) contaminated fruit? I'm sure most of us have eaten a peach or nectarine in the past six weeks.
    I'm glad you brought this up. Please keep in mind this recall is national, which means various additional stores WILL expand the recall beyond Costco, TJ's, and Wegman's. Expect this to happen within the week.

Please don't eat ANY peaches, plums, nectarines or pluots from ANY retailer in the near future.

I know it's rare to get listeriosis, even while pregnant, but the effects are really, really scary. I have been eating these fruits regularly for the last month, myself. :( I hope we all stay healthy.
    Me: 31  ~  Copilot: 37  ~  Our son: 3/25/11 ~ Our daughter: 10/5/14
  • @Emerald27, the article I just read said that even baked goods are being recalled now. I have NO idea if that's accurate or not, but I noticed that and thought of you.

• SSFC2014 said:
    mcclan03 said:
    Has anyone been able to get a definitive list of the stores or states that sold the (potentially) contaminated fruit? I'm sure most of us have eaten a peach or nectarine in the past six weeks.
    I'm glad you brought this up. Please keep in mind this recall is national, which means various additional stores WILL expand the recall beyond Costco, TJ's, and Wegman's. Expect this to happen within the week.

Please don't eat ANY peaches, plums, nectarines or pluots from ANY retailer in the near future.

I know it's rare to get listeriosis, even while pregnant, but the effects are really, really scary. I have been eating these fruits regularly for the last month, myself. :( I hope we all stay healthy.

Honestly I highly doubt other retailers will be added to the list. Since this recall is based from one company we already know the stores that it supplies. It's highly unlikely that stores that don't get their peaches from this company will do any sort of recall.
    I have an inside source. Other retailers will be added. Just don't eat these fruits right now, mamas!
  • kuzzu25kuzzu25 member
    edited July 2014
    These were sent out between June 1-12. If you've been exposed, it's already happened. They issued a nationwide recall because they couldn't pin down individual stores. Retailers are taking them off the shelf as a precaution but it's unlikely that month old fruit was still sitting there now. Cooking DOES kill listeria but food can be contaminated after cooking based on how it's produced. Rinse and dry raw produce before eating it to reduce your risk of exposure.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • kuzzu25 said:
    These were sent out between June 1-12. If you've been exposed, it's already happened. They issued a nationwide recall because they couldn't pin down individual stores. Retailers are taking them off the shelf as a precaution but it's unlikely that month old fruit was still sitting there now. Cooking DOES kill listeria but food can be contaminated after cooking based on how it's produced. Rinse and dry raw produce before eating it to reduce your risk of exposure.
    Unfortunately, there's a typo in the article above-- The window is actually June 1st-JULY 12th. (The correct dates are in Wawona's press release, here: https://www.wawonapacking.com/VoluntaryRecall-07192014.pdf.) With cold storage, it's likely that there ARE still contaminated fruits out there.

Also, even though Wawona has notified its biggest retailers, some of them take their time to plan press releases/procedures of their own before officially announcing the recall. Walmart, for example, has been added to the list of retailers today. And there will be more.

It's true that most of us have already been exposed, and there's nothing we can do about past exposures. But we can and should prevent future exposures. Don't eat those fruits!
  • kuzzu25 said:
    FYI: The Food Safety article had a typo. The press release says June 1 - JULY 12. They missed a word - so likely that fruit just removed from shelves could have been part of the recall as that's only a week or so old. See: https://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm405943.htm.  Either way - the thing for us all to try and remember is that the recall is a safety purposes for "possible" fruit exposure to listeria bacteria - so far there are no reported cases of listeriosis but better safe than sorry. I understand all PP's concerns as I have been eating organic nectarines and peaches all summer from Wegmans and so I definitely over the last 4 weeks ate fruit that was part of the recall. Haven't seemed sick, so hopeful me and Lo are okay. Here's hoping everyone else is too. Note: I also heard Trader Joe's, Big Y, Stop and Shop and Giant has been added to the list of stores.

Lilypie - (urRB)

• I had one nectarine.  WTH?  You'd think a nectarine would be safe--it's not like I was eating raw chicken and sprouts or something.  I am so pissed because I also had organic mango during the mango recall and hummus during the hummus recall.  Luckily, those two were actually not the right brand/ batch.  But how much more of this can I endure?  

THere was another nectarine  in the fruit basket, dying, that I thought I had thrown away, so I washed the fruit basket and am going to throw out the avocado and tomatoes it was rotting next to:(  

I also emailed my ob and they said there was nothing that could be done at this point, but if my stomach was upset that I should call the office immediately.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • ch3rrych3rry member
    I would check directly with your store you purchased the fruit from. They should be able to tell you if it was a part of the recall. For example, I shop at Market Street in Dallas & it wasn't listed anywhere--but when I checked their FB page, it confirmed they had organic peaches and nectarines that were recalled.
  • It was Trader Joe's and their nectarines were on the list:(
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Dammit. I ate a whole basket of nectarines from Meijer recently. Awesome...

imageimageimage

• Can't find the article now, but they stock Sams Club, Costco, Trader Joes, etc. I wish there was a definitive list. I like lists.
    Married since *7/13/2012* to my soulmate!

Surprise! BFP 3/7/2013, Missed MC, D&C @ 7w5d
    BFP 12/10/2013, Natural MC @ 5w1d

BFP 2/15/2014...Katia Elizabeth is due 10/23/2014!
     BabyFruit Ticker
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Well, Kroger's has been added (that's Ralph's) but it seems only specific stores were affected.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Trader Joe's too.
    And I've been buying peaches and nectarines there every week.
    I'm getting worried.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • And I've been getting their peaches every week!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I read that three pieces of fruit tested positive with the original company. Realistically, we are probably fine. It's a voluntary recall, too. It's just super scary. It would be less stressful if one always got symptoms with listeria. That's what gets me. My office said there wasn't anything to be done unless I get symptoms. I ate one freakin' nectarine and I'm going to worry for the next 11 weeks, probably. Ugh.
    Hang in there, stone fruit eating mamas. We're more than likely to be fine.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Just bought plums today from a store that's not on the list and DH made me throw them out. Now I just saw on the news that there is a local bread recall. I seriously feel like I can't eat anything... I've been avoiding hummus since the recall a few months ago.
  • I know.  With my gd diagnosis and this recall scare, I wish I could just eat food pills.  I don't avoid hummus--I had Trader Joe's hummus at that time, but not one of the recalled items, but it freaked me out...however, I think of it like this--my grandfather was a pilot and he always said the safest time to fly was after a crash.

My husband thinks I am overreacting to this stuff, I think.  I mean, he understood me washing the fruit basket and even sighed and suggested that if it made me feel better to throw out the stuff that was next to the evil nectarine, I should...but I can tell he thinks I am being a bit cuckoo, because I tend towards hypochondria.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Giant got added to the list, too. GREAT.

I've eaten my weight in peaches and plums this summer.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

April siggy challenge -- FLOWERS!!!

• I want to do one of these precautionary blood tests (we ate them and I have been frantically panicked since our grocery store called us about the recall yesterday).All my doctors have told me they don't do blood tests unless somebody has symptoms and that it wouldn't show up unless someone had symptoms (which I don't think I really buy?)Please tell me what your doctor suggested about the antibody test and how long after possible exposure one could have the test and have it be accurate?Please let me know.Thank you!! BEST OF LUCK TO ALL OF US! Hope nobody is sick!
  • Did some reading this morning and here's what I learned, for anyone trying to piece this together. The usual disclaimers apply, I'm not a doctor, I'm not giving medial advice, etc., etc. Some of this repeats what PPs have said, and it's long.

A recap of the statement Wawona issued yesterday:
    • On 7/10, an Australian importer reported that 3 peaches from Wawona tested positive for listeria
      • Australia has an "acceptable tolerance" for listeria of 100 cfu/g
        • Food below this level is released for public consumption 
        • The Food Standards Australia New Zealand states that amounts below 100 cfu/g do not present a public risk
      • The amount of listeria in the Wawona peaches reported by the Australian importer measured less than 10 cfu/g
      • The US FDA has a "zero tolerance" regarding listeria, so any amount (including below Australia's 100 cfu/g threshold) will trigger a recall
    • On 7/17, Wawona's own testing confirmed listeria on 2 peaches and 1 nectarine
      • These tests did not confirm the quantity (cfu/g) of listeria on the fruit (ugh, wtf)
    • Wawona took additional samples from the same lot as the fruit that had tested positive; all subsequent samples tested negative for listeria
    Wawona's conclusion is that there is a "very low level of risk to public health," but of course it's in their interest to state that. 

That said, the above did make me feel slightly better -- if you can infer that the listeria levels on the fruit were quite low (which seems possible given how low the Australian levels were, but is still not conclusive, since Wawona didn't test levels for listeria on their 7/17 sample), then it seems very unlikely that any of this fruit would actually have enough listeria to make anyone sick. It's also clear that some of the fruit was fine, since some samples tested negative.

Would be great if there were a firm list of states/stores, but Wawona sells to distributors, so they don't know where all their fruit went. IMO, this is the industrialized food economy at its worst. Here's the partial list thus far. Others may have more info -- I'm probably missing some.
    • Costco
    • TJ's
    • Walmart
    • Kroger
    • Sam's
    • Wegman's (baked goods)
    Stickers on the fruit may have said "Sweet 2 Eat" or "Harvest Sweet." I don't know about you ladies, but I didn't memorize what was printed on the stickers of the fruit I ate a month ago.

Listeria has an incubation period of 3-70 days, but usually shows up in about a month, so I suppose we're all just supposed to stay on the lookout and contact our doctors ASAP if we have symptoms. It's important to note that in pregnant women, the symptoms of listeriosis are usually mild, flu-like symptoms, not the full-blown symptoms non-pregnant people generally experience.

A blood test can detect listeriosis. If it's detected soon enough, IV antibiotics can prevent harm to the baby. In asymptomatic patients, the blood test isn't recommended, according to the CDC. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• I don't know about you ladies but I received a voicemail today that alerted me to the fact that I purchased the recalled peaches that were the sweet 2 eat. Unfortunately I are quite a few of them as I have been craving peaches this pregnancy. I did call my OB the nurse just called me back and said I may have to get a blood test for listeria and take antibodics but she is checking with the doctor and calling me back. I don't know how soon after you were contaminated you have to take antibodics for no harm to come to your baby. Hope it's ok!
  • Thank you for this info @mcclan03 ! Where did you find this info about the Australian levels and the levels the US fruit tested at?

And @Summer322 please let me know what your doctor suggests when you hear from them! Fingers crossed for all of us!

Thank you both :)
  • Well, I got a call from my Wegmans on Monday and threw out this weeks fruit, but I've been eating peaches and nectarines daily since May, so ahem.... I've had no symptoms that I know of - I had diarrhea one or two days in the last month but nothing that lasted and I can attribute that diarrhea to at least three other reasons. No flu like symptoms that I know of. When I called my OB's office the nurse said I can't get the blood test unless I show symptoms and I checked in with my GP to see if he'd administer blood test just as a precaution and he told me the same thing. So.... going to just have to hope and pray. Uggh....

Lilypie - (urRB)

• @mcclan03  thank you!  I had read all of this info, too, except the number level bit (I knew that it was under 100 from an article, but not the specifics) and it is so nice to see it compiled like this!  You are a rockstar.  I feel much better knowing that by Australian standards, the fruit wasn't a problem for sale.   Still nervous and wish that the doctor would give me the blood test, but....I feel a lot better about the whole thing, at least for now.  If illness reports start sailing in, my anxiety will go up but perhaps the OBs will be more open to testing if it reaches that point.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"