1st Trimester

Second time mamas...

What are you doing this time around because you learned from the first time around? 

My list:

* I won't be "practicing sleeping on my side to get used to it."  I will be sleeping on my stomach AS LONG AS I CAN.  Until it is uncomfortable, I shall relish in my face-down dead-man-chalk-pose.

* I won't be busting out the maternity clothes the minute I can...  I know how quickly they will lose their novelty and will enjoy my skinny jeans as long as I'm able.

* For the past two weeks I've been aware I was pregnant, I've shoved every vegetable and fruit down the hatch that I possibly could in anticipation for the morning sickness to kick in.  Sure enough, here it is and all I want are Goldfish crackers and Club crackers.

What are your lessons learned?  :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Second time mamas...

• I'm the opposite.  I will wear maternity clothes...well... now.  I love my mat clothes.  So much cuter than my regular clothes and I hated being uncomfortable.  

My biggest thing is that I am going to NOT gain 50 lbs this time.  I decided last time to really enjoy being pregnant and eating everything I wanted but it got away from me.  I didn't have too many issues losing the weight, but I just want to keep things under control, be healthier.

I will trust my body, not the books.  "10-12 hour labors on average" my ass!  I barely made it because every book and board post suggested "laboring at home" if you want a natural birth.  If I'd labored at the cabin any longer my baby would have been born there and in that case it would not have been a good thing!  A one room cabin with no running water is not the ideal place!

I will stick with my doctor/hospital.  I'm very pro no-intervention birth and had really wanted to birth at a birth center, but there wasn't one back then.  Luckily, my hospital was amazing, the doctors and nurses incredible, and even though there's a birth center in the area now, I know that I was happy with the hospital.  No need to change just to get that experience.

I will do hypnobirthing again.  Because for me it made a huge difference in my birth experience.  I am actually looking forward to starting the hypno sessions again.  Soooo relaxing!

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• MaebbMaebb member
    I am getting a lot more fatigued this time (maybe from chasing a toddler around?), and last time I tried hard to not use pregnancy as an excuse to be lazy, but this time I am resting every chance I get.

I can't think of other things I would change about pregnancy / labor.

Last time I put so much pressure on myself to EBF, and I was devastated that it didn't work out, despite how hard I tried. I'm going to try again and make better use of the hospital's lactation consultants and resources like La Leche League, but I'm going to try to not feel like such a failure if it doesn't work out.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm only 5 weeks and I'm so exhausted. I took a nap today, which I never do. I've been having horrible headaches, so I take any chance I can now to lay down and try to rest or nap. I also switched to a vegetarian diet and I feel really good about what I'm putting in my body. Hopefully the nausea won't win out when it starts.

Labor - I'm going to let it happen on it's own this time. I was induced a week after my due date last time and I wish I would have waited a few more days. It was very painful and I was stuck at 4cm for about 4 hours because my body was fighting against itself and I had to get an epidural which I didn't really want. My back hurt for about a year after having it.

I have a new doctor and new hospital this time around and I'm really looking forward to it.
  • I laughed when I read your comment about sleeping on your side- It is the worst! I cherish sleeping on my back, but I'm too paranoid to continue back sleeping. This time around I plan on buying one of those giant body pillows that I thought was a waste of $ in the first round. This time, I will spare no expense in actually being able to sleep! (Currently awake at 4:26am).

This time around I am more relaxed about everything- diet (I eat pretty reasonably already so I'm not going to beat myself up about some occasional caffine or obsessing about the amount of fish I eat in a week), planning out the needed supplies (meh, hand me downs will work), and preparing myself now that I've gone through it before (although I imagine this will change as the pregnancy goes on).
  • This time around I am wearing my maternity clothes from the start - I'm 7w2d and already in a maternity skirt.  Last time around I waited until 28 weeks, which was insane and I couldn't believe how much more comfortable I was in maternity gear - won't be making that mistake again!

• D&HMomD&HMom member
    this is great!
    Although I won't fight the mat clothes this time.  I can't wait to get all comfy in pants with a panel! And after twins I might not have the option!

• Hi all!

I feel much more calm and relaxed this time since I already know what to expect. I am about to make 9 weeks and have really tried maintaining my weight. I gained nearly 50lbs my first pregnancy and 3 years later I am starting again 10lbs heavier than I did with my first so I really want to watch that and only gain what is necessary.

I also had an epidural put in at 4cm the first time that wore off by the time I gave birth 12 hours later. The lower half of my body was asleep but I still felt the contractions at the very end. I also was throwing up a brown/black liquid which the nurse said was the anesthesia that my body was rejecting???? not sure. Either way my labor was quick, 3 pushes and he was out. I really want to try and labor longer without the epidural. It was excrutiating pain but I really want to handle it a bit longer and see if I can give birth without any medication or at least hold off so that if I do get the epidural it doesn't wear off.

And maternity clothes? I busted those babies out already for work. Much more comfortable!

• I agree with the BF. I pushed so hard to make that work for DD, but in the end, it just worsened my depression significantly. I felt like I lost the first two months of my daughter's life because I was so obsessed with not failing.

I will try in the beginning for this one, but I'm much more open to supplementing or going fully on formula.
  • Maebb said:
    I am getting a lot more fatigued this time (maybe from chasing a toddler around?), and last time I tried hard to not use pregnancy as an excuse to be lazy, but this time I am resting every chance I get. I can't think of other things I would change about pregnancy / labor. Last time I put so much pressure on myself to EBF, and I was devastated that it didn't work out, despite how hard I tried. I'm going to try again and make better use of the hospital's lactation consultants and resources like La Leche League, but I'm going to try to not feel like such a failure if it doesn't work out.

I could have written this post word-for-word. 

I didn't want to be one of those "I'm pregnant, cater to me" kind of women but I am dead on my feet with fatigue.  I missed a family party yesterday because the only thing I had the energy to do was lay on the couch under a blanket in my underwear and cry.

As far as L&D goes, I'm very nervous about having a repeat of last time - 36 hours of labor, 3 hours of pushing, vacuum extraction, 3rd degree tear and episiotomy.  I know there's no way to predict if this one is going to be as difficult but I'm going to try learning how to meditate, see if I can get ahold of my emotions so I won't be a disaster in delivery again.

I made up my mind to try breastfeeding again but I'm not going to allow myself to feel like crap if my supply is insufficient.  I drove myself insane last time, with the pumping, lactation consultants, Fenugreek and nothing made a difference.  I will try but I will not let myself feel guilty.  My DD was formula fed and she's the smartest two year old her daycare teachers have ever had in class - they tell me that all the time.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I nap at any possible/available moment

I was able to keep the vomiting at bay this time around, so huge plus there

I'm planning on sleeping however the heck I'm comfortable (ie: on my belly or back) until I physically can't anymore

And last but not least, I think I may camp in the hospital parking lot about a week before my due date (maybe longer). DS basically fell out and we almost didn't make it (less than 2 hours, start to finish!) and I'm terrified this one is going to be born along side a snowy highway.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Charlie - 12/11/2011 * Surprise! #2 - EDD 2/17/2015

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Great lessons learned!!  I agree with those who mentioned BFing and the pressure we put on ourselves.  Everyone told me to "relax" and that it was "okay to use formula if you had to" and I was so determined!  I will try again this time, but I hope my hormones don't take over so I'm crazy obsessed with exclusively BFing if it isn't working!

BabyFruit Ticker

• I learned to stay CALM and to trust my instincts.  My 2nd baby I knew something wasn't right my last month & when I started swelling 2 days post partum near time to check out of the hospital my doctor dismissed my concern without checking me out.  3 days later I nearly died from post-partum preeclampsia.  This baby, I'm LISTENING to my body.  

On a lighter note:  Sleeping on your stomach is heaven so do it as long as you can!  if you live near a beach, dig a hole in the sand, put your belly in said hole and nap away.  It's lovely. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"