July 2014 Moms
Options

The Great Breastfeeding Thread

Re: The Great Breastfeeding Thread

• Options

Is fenugreek something I should clear with my doctor before taking or is it ok if I just go ahead and get some

I heard that it could be dangerous if you have asthma otherwise it is fine. But doesn't hurt to check with a quick call if you are concerned.
  • Options

For ladies returning to work. How many oz are you freezing in each bag or bottle? I have pumped milk I need to get into the freezer today. I was thinking 2.5 oz for now?? Thanks

I freeze in intervals. 1-5 oz, whatever I get collectively over a day.
    I want different sizes to meet his needs. That way I can combine bags for different sized bottles.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I believe we've hit the 3 week growth spurt. DS has been eating every two hrs or less since last night and seems fussy. Today he's been sleeping 45 minutes to an hour, waking up eating from one side, then falls asleep for 45 minutes again, and we repeat the cycle. Should I wake him up so that he can eat from the other side too, or just let him sleep the 45 minutes and offer the other boob first?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I believe we've hit the 3 week growth spurt. DS has been eating every two hrs or less since last night and seems fussy. Today he's been sleeping 45 minutes to an hour, waking up eating from one side, then falls asleep for 45 minutes again, and we repeat the cycle. Should I wake him up so that he can eat from the other side too, or just let him sleep the 45 minutes and offer the other boob first?

Dealing with the same thing today, ive been lopsided all day lol i tried to wake him once to eat from the other side and he wasn't having it
  • Options
    @kenziebug22‌ it's fun isn't it lol. DS just ate from both sides for the first time since 10am, although only for a few minutes from the second boob, but I will take it! And now he's passed out on me. Not loving the cluster feeds, but I will take these snuggles any time! Here's hoping our LOs go back to regular schedules soon!
  • Options
    @kdelgado03‌ i agree the clusters aren't fun but the sleepy cuddles after the fact sure make up for it :) glad your LO finally ate a little on both, hope when my boy wakes up he will try for both!

• Options
    I have a slightly different recipe for lactation cookis and I love them.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    @sharmon1317‌ and @ZeroZeroOne‌ have either of you tried pulling LO off half way through and burping then feeding the rest and try to burp again? Sometimes works for me if she eats too much and spits it all up. Good luck I know it's frustrating watching all that milk get spit back up.
  • Options
    Im in the spit up crew. The doctor gave me some suggestions but hes gaining weight so shes not that worried. He just spits up some of every meal. I do hold him upright for 20 minutes after every feeding, but that just means it gets on my shoulder and not his clothes.
  • Options
    @sharmon1317‌ and @ZeroZeroOne‌
    Same thing here!!! I've even started feeding LO upright and stopping every 5 to 10 minutes to try and burp her. Still spits up and then starts screaming her hungry cry again. :((

• Options
    @babybell22‌ last night and today were really not fun. Was finally able to get DS to go 3 hours between feedings this afternoon. Currently going on a 4 hr stretch in between feedings, so I'm really hoping this is a sign if things to come for tonight! If it's not then I'll be checking out the late night check in thread ha!
  • Options
    @babybell22‌ im with you on the 45 minutes but im more worried tonight is going to be a repeat of last night, every time DS fell asleep hed wake right back up for 4hours striaght, i just need a nap and ill be happy lol. Luckily hes been sleeping Good this time, hope it lasts a little
  • Options
    Question - everything I've read said to only combine breast milk in the same container for storage if it was pumped in the same 24 hour period. What about when you go to use it for a feeding. Can you combine multiple bags into one bottle for a feeding?
  • Options
    Soon2BMrsNSoon2BMrsN member
    edited August 2014
    2lacyblue said:

DS is 2 weeks and he still screams like he is starving every hour and a half. I won't feed him earlier than every 2 hrs (pedi directed). Some times I can manage to soothe him back to sleep, but it takes about 20-30 minutes. After, he will sleep for another hour. It is exhausting! When did your LOs start with 3-4 hour stretches on their own?

Honestly, it was probably around 3-4 months with each of my sons. eta: I assumed you meant during the day, not nighttime?

• Options

2lacyblue said:

DS is 2 weeks and he still screams like he is starving every hour and a half. I won't feed him earlier than every 2 hrs (pedi directed). Some times I can manage to soothe him back to sleep, but it takes about 20-30 minutes. After, he will sleep for another hour. It is exhausting! When did your LOs start with 3-4 hour stretches on their own?

Honestly, it was probably around 3-4 months with each of my sons. eta: I assumed you meant during the day, not nighttime?

Yes, my first daughter did not go 3-4 hours during the day until 3 months or older. I think that's asking a lot of a two week old. Especially considering growth spurts, etc. Not to mention nursing isn't always about hunger. It's also about comfort and getting accustomed to the outside world. I've always been told to nurse on demand in these early days.

• Options
    Ok ladies! I need some help! 

LO is half formula fed, half breastfed through bottle (EP). I had the start of an infection in my incision from my c-section so my doctor prescribed Clindamycin for 5 days (3x a day).. she said I would have to pump and dump.

Zoey was getting every other bottle breastmilk (similac soy isomil) and she was doing great 50/50. I had a little bit of a stash in the fridge that I was going to ration during the 5 days, giving her 1 full bottle a day or i could do a feeding of 1/2 breastmilk then in another bottle 1/2 formula. 

Yesterday was my first day of meds and she had only gotten 1 Breast milk bottle, the rest of the day and night it seemed like she became EXCESSIVELY phlegmy, We had to suction her constantly and then this morning she just coughed up so much phlegm. I'm thinking that this might have something to do with the lack of breastmilk she is getting. 

My OB said to pump and dump - that she wasn't sure if it was safe. I just checked online that Clindamycin is a class B drug and is approved for breastfeeding. I put a call in to her pediatrician this morning to ask and see because I figure they would be more aware than my OB of what is approved for breastmilk - waiting for the doctor to come in and they will call me back. 

My question is though, does this sound like something that could cause phlegm? Lack of breast milk and increasing formula? I just don't want to be missing something like this could be a cold? Or something else.

Thanks for any input! 
    [ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • Options
    @littlemissmarla‌ : I took antibiotics for my swollen incision PP with DS2. I can't remember what kind they were but I wasn't told to pump and dump. Hopefully you hear back soon and can stop wasting that milk!
  • Options
    Since this morning, i'm pumping and saving the milk i'm producing now, in the hopes that they will tell me its fine! Fingers crossed! 

Pump and Dump is SO DEPRESSING!

[ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • Options
    honeybee434honeybee434 member
    edited August 2014
    @littlemissmarla‌ If they say that you do have to pump and dump, you may see if there is one you can switch to that is okay for breastfeeding. I had to be on antibiotics for a UTI a couple of weeks ago and I was fine to keep breastfeeding.

ETA: You could also call the pharmacy where you picked up your script, they should be able to tell you as well.
  • Options
    @2lacyblue‌ that makes more sense to me now. I wonder if your LO has expanded his tummy so much he's hungry all the time. If so if will adjust back but might take a little while. Hope not too long!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Okay, how do y'all break a latch? I've got two reasons why I need to know this:

One, my girl only nurses on one side each session, but she nurses for 15-20 minutes usually. I need to start breaking her latch at least halfway through to burp her so we can curb this spitting up habit.

And two? Sometimes she nurses and continues to suck on my nipple without eating. She's not swallowing and it's not as deep of a suck as she does when she's eating. She's using it as a soothing thing I guess, because she's asleep when this happens. Last night, I tried everything I could to break the latch until I finally just yanked it out, which I know was wrong, but dude my nipple hurt so bad. Today, she just finished nursing/sucking on it for like 30 minutes before she finally broke free on her own. My nipple is straight up PURPLE.

So... how do we break a latch? I try to slowly pull it out, but she just sucks it right back in.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

“When the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies.”

- J.M. Barrie Peter Pan

married on the sweetest day 10.20.12

Chicken - 07.08.06 | Bubsy - 02.24.09 | Sunshine - 07.16.14

I have died every day waiting for you. Darling, don't be afraid, I have loved you for a thousand years. And all along I believed I would find you, time has brought your heart to me. I have loved you for a thousand years. I'll love you a thousand more.
  • Options
    @honeybee434 Thanks! That was my back up plan but i heard back and I am okay to keep the milk!!

But now I'm kind of ticked about everything I had already dumped lol, well better safe than sorry.
    [ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • Options
    cko521 said:
    Anyone take Imitrex while BFing? My doc prescribed it for migraines (I was on Relpax pre-pregnancy, but stupid insurance won't cover it anymore') and said it was safe. The pharmacist said the AAP says its safe and I shouldn't worry, but that she was also obligated to recommend I pump and dump for 8 hours after taking it (we haven't introduced a bottle yet as. LO is only 2 weeks, so,that's not an option). She then said that if I can't pump and dump, I should be fine to BF anyway. 

Anyway, I haven't needed it yet, but I'm scared I will and feel like they gave me seriously mixed messages.

Can you try calling and asking the Pedi? I felt more at ease after they let me know the medicine I was on was safe for BFing (even thought my OB told me to pump and dump).
    [ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • Options
    I'm really surprised your pedi directed not to feed more than every 2 hours. Mine said to feed on demand but never less than 2-3 hours until she was a bit bigger and my supply had stabilized. Are there other circumstances why your pedi said this?

****STUCK IN GREY****

This.  Why are you not feeding on demand?  My pedi told me to feed whenever DD is hungry since she's the one who knows when she needs to eat and it also regulates my supply (amount and make-up) to her needs.

• Options
    @jessafish @2lacyblue

Thanks ladies!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

“When the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies.”

- J.M. Barrie Peter Pan

married on the sweetest day 10.20.12

Chicken - 07.08.06 | Bubsy - 02.24.09 | Sunshine - 07.16.14

I have died every day waiting for you. Darling, don't be afraid, I have loved you for a thousand years. And all along I believed I would find you, time has brought your heart to me. I have loved you for a thousand years. I'll love you a thousand more.
  • Options

I bought a moby yesterday to use with DD while we are out since she screams unless the car is moving or I am holding her. My question is has anyone breastfed while baby is wrapped? If so how did you wrap baby? 

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This may have been covered but this thread I'd insanely long and I can't find an answer. So how do you keep breast feeding from being so messy. Not while actually feeding but in between. My boobs leak an insane amount! Like a lot! I wake up soAked. This morning their was a freaking puddle of milk the dresser where I dripped while changing ds last night in the dark. Everything I own is covered in milk! I feed regularly, where shields most of the time (which I hate because they itch like crazy!) What can I do? I'm probably leaking a couple oz seriously! It's that much! Please tag me if you answer so I'm sure tho read the help
    image.
  • Options
    Cluster feedings.. you suck..
  • Options

Question for all you mamma.. My son is not efficient at all during feelings. Between nursing and burping him the sessions last about an hour, sometimes longer. I don't know if this is normal or not. Does anyone else's feedings last this long?

My oldest DS always fed for an hour as a newborn. Luckily, the other two have usually been done within about 45 minutes. But, yes, it's normal.
  • Options

Question for all you mamma.. My son is not efficient at all during feelings. Between nursing and burping him the sessions last about an hour, sometimes longer. I don't know if this is normal or not. Does anyone else's feedings last this long?

How old is he?

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • Options
    @sharmon1317‌ DD is 5 weeks today as well and takes an hour give or take to eat as well. Sometimes she takes less time, but it's usually an hour session.
     Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @sharmon1317 hour long feeding and burping sessions are pretty much the norm for us too. I'm hoping baby girl gets more efficient soon!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My boobs are killing me between feedings! She only eats 5-10 on one side at a time, her choice. Happy and content between feedings, lots of diapers and weight gain. But she's only hungry every 2 hours making one boob wait 4 hours to drain. I'm lopsided all day!
  • Options
    Fingers crossed for DD to poop. We're on day 10 of no stools, but plenty of wet diapers. We've tried bicycling her legs, rectal stimulation, belly massage, apple juice, and last night did a glycerin suppository. Still nada. An x-ray today looked all normal. Have to repeat the suppository tonight.
    I knew it was normal for some BF babies not to poop often, but this is unusual.
    So make sure you all are having dirty diapers with those wet ones!

• Options

@TwizzyG‌ I remember reading a thread I believe from March14 and a girl whose LO hadn't pooped in 24 or so days. The doctors told her it was normal for a breast fed baby not to have stools for that long. I hope your LO does not go that long. Sending you all the poop vibes!

Oh wow, I can't imagine a baby not pooping for that long. I guess my doc is just covering his bases then (which is cool with me...I'd rather rule out problems than potentially miss them). Thanks for letting me know that- it gives me a little peace of mind. :)

• Options
    Okay so I have been pumping once a day since DD was about 5 days old and getting about 2-3oz between both breasts and DH has been using that for the middle of the night feeding so that I don't have to wake up too many times. The past two days however, when I pumped I only got about 1-1/2oz between both sides. Is it possible my milk supply is decreasing?? I nurse DD sometimes every hour and a half so I figured my supply would only be increasing due to the demand.
    TTC History
    Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married 07/2012
    DD born 07/2014
    DD2 born 10/2018
    DS born 10/2022

IF history:
    TTC #2 since January 2016
    June-Aug 2017: 3 IUIs w/Clomid = BFN
    Sept 2017: Dx w/Endometriosis
    Oct 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Nov 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Dec 2017: pre-IVF testing
    Jan-Feb 2018: IVF--17 eggs retrieved, 13 fertilized, 9 frozen and 1 transferred on 2/10 = BFP on 2/19!!! EDD 10/29/2018
    FET Oct 2021: BFP on 10/31! MC at 5 weeks
    FET Feb 2022: BFP on 2/15! EDD 10/29/22

• Options
    honeybee434honeybee434 member
    edited August 2014
    @symphony4586‌ My milk took about 3 1/2-4 days to come in. But, we had to supplement with formula the same way as you are for about 2 days because LO lost so much weight in the hospital. Don't feel too bad! I felt so awful seeing her gulp those 1oz servings down because I knew she must have been starving. :/ Once it came in we still supplemented for an overnight because she wasn't wanting to latch as well, but our pediatrician told is to go 24 hours with no supplementing and no bottle because it was making her lazy as it was less work than latching and eating. (Her weight loss stabilized when she recommended this.) After that rough 24 hour period she's been eating ever since. She also still takes a bottle just fine if I have to pump.
    I hope yours comes in soon!
  • Options

Same here
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"