July 2014 Moms
Options

The Great Breastfeeding Thread

Re: The Great Breastfeeding Thread

• Options
    @LolaSimonLove‌ You can't tell how much milk you are producing by pumping. I've never been able to get more than a few oz at most out of each breast with a pump, even a hospital grade one. But my babies were fat exclusively breastfed butterballs. They clearly got plenty of milk. Some babies also eat more frequently than others. The best way to tell if you have enough milk is by your baby's weight gain and wet/dirty diapers. Is your doctor concerned about your baby's weight gain? What about weighing your baby before and after breastfeeding to see how many ounces they took?

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Csltdk said:
    I really don't mean to stir shit up, but as someone who really wanted to bf but my supply never came in, and I am having to ff now, why do some of you "feel awful" about giving formula? It's not poison... :x
    I think it's just human nature to feel like you have not done all you can. I BF'ed for five months, and then got pregnant and could no longer produce. I felt a little shitty in the beginning, I don't think it's the actual formula moms are sad about, it's just not being able to provide from her body. When we were finally full blown formula though, it was so much less stressful and Lili was well and happy. If I had to do it again, I would.

We have our "Irish Twins"

DD born 8/7/2013

DS born 7/28/14

<>

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ekg688Ekg688 member
    Thanks ladies :)
  • Options
    Ekg688 said:
    For moms who plan on pumping when going back to work... how do you plan on cleaning your pump parts after each session? I'm a sucker for convenience but I'm not sure if I'm willing the shell out the money for the cleaning wipes they make. Also it would be a PITA to clean parts in the bathroom.
    I just run hot water through them during the day and give a good washing when i get home. 

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • Options
    CsltdkCsltdk member

Csltdk said:

I really don't mean to stir shit up, but as someone who really wanted to bf but my supply never came in, and I am having to ff now, why do some of you "feel awful" about giving formula? It's not poison... :x

I think it's just human nature to feel like you have not done all you can.
    I BF'ed for five months, and then got pregnant and could no longer produce. I felt a little shitty in the beginning, I don't think it's the actual formula moms are sad about, it's just not being able to provide from her body. When we were finally full blown formula though, it was so much less stressful and Lili was well and happy. If I had to do it again, I would.

Yes to the bolded. But I have to be honest, I think coming into to a specific breastfeeding thread and making a comment like this is kind of stirring up shit, it'd kind of be like if there was a formula feeding thread and someone who is EBF waltzing in and asking "Not trying to stir up shit, but how can you be ok with feeding your kid that stuff?"

I didn't come in making an ignorant statement, I just asked a question. Relax
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Everyone remember lightning crotch? What is with this lightning boob?? It is killing me! FTM here... Should I be concerned?

I had this. I told a LC and we determined that I was just feeling my milk let down. It's gotten better every day.

• Options
    Can you overfeed a 2 week old breast feeding?

No she's not spitting up, but yesterday it was like nothing could soothe her. I thought she had gas since I just fed her what seemed like seconds earlier but even after a good burp or two and a poo diaper she was still screaming. Finally I caved in and offered her a boob and she attacked it for another 15 min. I swear I was feeding her for like an hour from 10:15 -11:15. She wanted it though so I thought it was ok and she didn't spit up afterwards. But just curious what you ladies thought?

Also she was 8lb 6oz at birth and at her one week 8lbs 10oz so there's that...
  • Options
    Loving the similac app!! Also, both feedings last night were lying down. Awesome.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I need some advice. Since Gavin was in the NICU, I have been half pumping, half formula feeding and I would really like to try breastfeeding before it is "too late". It may already be, but.. maybe not. He still roots at my chest when he is hungry, so the instinct is still there. I know it is not going to be easy... Anyway, he is gaining weight and I have 5 weeks before our next ped appt to weigh him again. I have to use a shield right now (hoping that won't be forever) and Gavin has solely used a bottle since birth. How do you suggest starting this? How do you start breastfeeding an almost 3 week old?
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I need some advice. Since Gavin was in the NICU, I have been half pumping, half formula feeding and I would really like to try breastfeeding before it is "too late". It may already be, but.. maybe not. He still roots at my chest when he is hungry, so the instinct is still there. I know it is not going to be easy... Anyway, he is gaining weight and I have 5 weeks before our next ped appt to weigh him again. I have to use a shield right now (hoping that won't be forever) and Gavin has solely used a bottle since birth. How do you suggest starting this? How do you start breastfeeding an almost 3 week old?

Have you gotten him to successfully latch with the shield?

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • Options
    I've been having such a hard time breast feeding. My milk didn't come in until day 5 and baby had list 11% so made me supplement. Baby could latch but was a painful shallow latch and would nurse forever without gaining. After supplementing for 2 days will no longer latch. Luckily have been able to bf with pumped milk. Been seeing LC twice a week and they finally got him to latch for 5 minutes. Any one have long term success with shields or able to wean after nipple confusion?
  • Options

I have before, but for only about a minute or two. It's not as easy for him so he gets mad. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have before, but for only about a minute or two. It's not as easy for him so he gets mad. 

We bottle fed basically from day 1 because I was sick. She was almost 2 weeks old before I was well enough to try breast feeding again. Being on the early side, she was a super lazy feeder and didn't want to do to the work that breast feeding required. She would get super frustrated when we tried to breast feed with or without a shield. Like flailing her head around in frustration.

We started with giving an ounce or so by bottle to get the edge of her hunger off, which would give her some patience to try and get a good latch. I had the SNS to work with, but it was such a pain!

At 5 weeks, we are doing about 1/2 breast and 1/2 bottle feedings throughout the day. Im ok with that. We continue to work on it and it is improving.

All that to say, don't worry about it being "too late." At 3 weeks, we were still totally unsuccessful. It's taken me figuring some stuff out and her getting some age and size on her to be less of a sleepy eater.

• Options

Have you tried to jump start him with expressed milk, formula or glucose water in a syringe? That worked for me and others. 

• Options
    Today is my first day cutting out dairy to see if that's what's causing Ryder's gassiness. Anyone else doing this? I feel like everything I want has some kind of dairy in it.

• Options
    Caitlinrj said:

Today is my first day cutting out dairy to see if that's what's causing Ryder's gassiness. Anyone else doing this? I feel like everything I want has some kind of dairy in it.

Same and the list of things to not eat to help avoid grassiness goes on forever. I might as well give up eating.

• Options
    Caitlinrj said:

Me! But not fully. I noticed the gassiness is bad after lots of dairy, which has only happened in frozen form. I'm basically cutting out trips to for frozen yogurt and ice cream.
  • Options
    I ha

Liam was in the NICU the first week. The hospitals lactation consultants were amazing. We even went back for an appt after we were home to do the whole weigh - feed - weigh thing. Have you checked with them? I also used the shield for about a week and then he was fine without it. Still have some initial nipple pain but we are working through it :) Good luck!

• Options
    kwh33ls said:

Ekg688 said:

For moms who plan on pumping when going back to work... how do you plan on cleaning your pump parts after each session? I'm a sucker for convenience but I'm not sure if I'm willing the shell out the money for the cleaning wipes they make. Also it would be a PITA to clean parts in the bathroom.

I have heard that if you refrigerate the parts, that you can make it through te day without washing, and just do it at home---it makes sense to me!
    I'm only to here, but I would just throw the parts in a wet bag in the fridge. They were a little chilly for my 2nd pump when I was pulping twice per shift but oh well;)
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @zarkarella‌ we also have had success offering a little bit of formula first to take the edge off, then latching.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I just started pumping today and forgot to ask my pedi... when you start giving bottles do you pump to "make up" for the bottle feed if you are home? We are pumping to prime DS for daycare eventually and so DH can help and I'm not sure if while he gives the bottle I should pump or not.
  • Options
    Ekg688 said:

I don't wash my parts at work. I just shove them in the fridge with my breast milk. They get washed every night and I have at least two sets, so I always have a set clean and ready to go.

• Options
    bchildrn said:

I just started pumping today and forgot to ask my pedi... when you start giving bottles do you pump to "make up" for the bottle feed if you are home? We are pumping to prime DS for daycare eventually and so DH can help and I'm not sure if while he gives the bottle I should pump or not.

Yes... Whenever your LO takes a bottle you should be pumping. Later on you can get away with skipping/stretching out feedings but it's risky to start doing this early on while working on your supply.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    bchildrn said:

If I am home, I pump every 3 hours, though go 6ish hours overnight (DH does a bottle feeding overnight). I either feed or pump every 3 hours.

When I breast feed at home, I generally follow up with pumping, as she generally leaves one breast pretty full and it starts hurting if I don't help it.

• Options
    Do you ladies wake up LO after three hours so they can feed? At night time DS has been going about 4 hours in between feedings. He will feed around midnight and then sleep until 4, which I feel is ok. But how about during the day? I want to make sure my supply keeps up with LOs needs. He is having regular wet and dirty diapers, and we go back to the pediatrician in a week so we'll be able to check his weight gain. So what do you gals think? Wake after three hours, or let him sleep even if it's been a bit more than that?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Do you ladies wake up LO after three hours so they can feed? At night time DS has been going about 4 hours in between feedings. He will feed around midnight and then sleep until 4, which I feel is ok. But how about during the day? I want to make sure my supply keeps up with LOs needs. He is having regular wet and dirty diapers, and we go back to the pediatrician in a week so we'll be able to check his weight gain. So what do you gals think? Wake after three hours, or let him sleep even if it's been a bit more than that?

We wake him up every three. They told us we are "allowed" one long stretch (4 hours) a day which we use at night to get some sleep.
  • Options
    Pup4gdb said:

Am I the only person who does not feel their milk "let down?" I was reading somewhere that you "should" feel it and it is abnormal not to. I feel nothing. How abnormal am I? (Ya know, outside of the rest of my abnormal life)

I don't feel anything. I think I read a statistic that 30% of women never feel a letdown.
  • Options
    mcvgalmcvgal member

our pediatrician said not to worry about waking DS2 at night since he's gaining weight just fine. That being said the longest stretch we ever get at night is 4 hours. He nurses closer to every 2 hours during the day

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Options
    I don't feel a let down. Also, my pedi also said 2-3 hours during the day and you can allow one 4 hour stretch at night.

New question: I am leaking like crazy, so I'm definitely dealing with an oversupply. I didn't want to start pumping until she was 4 weeks, but I don't want to deal with this! Will pumping just encourage more milk, and therefore more pumping, or should I just do it to not waste the milk and start building a supply?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    missquela said:

I don't feel a let down. Also, my pedi also said 2-3 hours during the day and you can allow one 4 hour stretch at night.

New question: I am leaking like crazy, so I'm definitely dealing with an oversupply. I didn't want to start pumping until she was 4 weeks, but I don't want to deal with this! Will pumping just encourage more milk, and therefore more pumping, or should I just do it to not waste the milk and start building a supply?

@missquela‌
    Ahh! That's a hard one. Yes, the pumping will encourage more milk production. Do you need a big supply soon? Are you going back to work soon? It could be a great thing to do because then you will always have back up, but.....then boobies may get very engorged. Maybe try hand expressing to see what you can save?

We have our "Irish Twins"

DD born 8/7/2013

DS born 7/28/14

<>

• Options
    @missquela‌ I'm jealous! I'm trying to increase my supply so we can supplement less.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Pup4gdb said:

Am I the only person who does not feel their milk "let down?" I was reading somewhere that you "should" feel it and it is abnormal not to. I feel nothing. How abnormal am I? (Ya know, outside of the rest of my abnormal life)

I don't feel anything. I think I read a statistic that 30% of women never feel a letdown.
    I never feel a letdown. Never did with DS either. I also never leak.

image image
  • Options
    Our pedi said once LO is a few oz above birth weight we can stop waking him up because we can trust him to let us know. I don't think he has ever done 4 hrs though. Tonight were doing one and a half.

I also feel no let down.

Breastfeeding class said to build up a frozen supply for going back to work, start pumping 1session after first morning feed. Due to hormone levels you should have extra milk then.

These have been my sleep deprived thoughts.
  • Options

Pup4gdb said:

I never feel a letdown. Never did with DS either. I also never leak.
    Samesies
    Pregnancy Ticker
    imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"