September 2012 Moms
Options

Pedal toys

Anyone purchased a balance bike for their little one or have a certain trike on pedal toy that you love?  

Re: Pedal toys

• Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    We have a Strider balance bike that is well loved. My DS1 used it starting at 15 months and easily transitioned to a real bike without training wheels before turning 3.5. I'm a big believer in balance bikes helping with real bike riding. DS2 has been using the balance bike all spring and summer. He still cruises around by walking it but I don't think it will be much longer until he is picking up his feet. He also has a Radio Flyer tricycle and is getting really close to pedaling. He pedals when I push but he can't quite get it going himself. He uses his Kickboard scooter the most and pushes and glides all the way down the driveway on it.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options

This possibly should be my FFFC, but I just don't know if strider bikes are necessary, IMHO. My SIL and I were talking about it and I was sort of on board with them, but she was telling me that they don't actually speed up the process of a child learning to ride a bike any sooner than actual training wheels do. I'm not sure about her reasoning on them, I assume she got her info from a reputable source, she's usually very informed before she passes info along.

That said, we got DS a Radio Flyer Tricycle like this one in the meantime until we could decide and he loves it. He has short legs and is just now able to touch the pedals after owning it for about two months.

https://www.amazon.com/Radio-Flyer-Classic-Tricycle-10-Inch/dp/B00BPKPCGG/ref=sr_1_3?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1406039747&sr=1-3&keywords=radio+flyer+tricycle

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    edited July 2014
    Eastie156 said:

This possibly should be my FFFC, but I just don't know if strider bikes are necessary, IMHO. My SIL and I were talking about it and I was sort of on board with them, but she was telling me that they don't actually speed up the process of a child learning to ride a bike any sooner than actual training wheels do. I'm not sure about her reasoning on them, I assume she got her info from a reputable source, she's usually very informed before she passes info along.

That said, we got DS a Radio Flyer Tricycle like this one in the meantime until we could decide and he loves it. He has short legs and is just now able to touch the pedals after owning it for about two months.

https://www.amazon.com/Radio-Flyer-Classic-Tricycle-10-Inch/dp/B00BPKPCGG/ref=sr_1_3?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1406039747&sr=1-3&keywords=radio+flyer+tricycle

Of course they aren't necessary. We all learned to ride a bike without one. But from my experience of seeing James learn to balance on it and then just take off on a real two wheeler without having to break my back following him to help balance at first, it did absolutely teach him to balance a bike prior to getting a pedal bike. Training wheels do not teach you to balance, they teach you how to pedal a bike. You still have to learn to balance, not over correct, push off to start... My SIL had the exact same experience with her two boys learning to ride a bike early and easily after using a Strider for a couple of years. And they are just fun. Leo loves having a bike like the big kids. James loved when he was a little bit older riding it down the driveway balancing the entire way. 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    We have a Strider, however DS has never really liked it, so he's no closer to riding a bike. DD is still a little short for both that and her tricycle, so we'll see what she prefers in a few months.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    melody921 said:
    We have a Strider, however DS has never really liked it, so he's no closer to riding a bike. DD is still a little short for both that and her tricycle, so we'll see what she prefers in a few months.
    It absolutely depends on the child's willingness to use it, and use it as a balance bike. We spend a lot of time around bikes so my kids are really into them. All we had to do was encourage James to pick up his feet, but he was the one that was always wanting to ride it.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    hmp1 said:
    Eastie156 said:

Of course they aren't necessary. We all learned to ride a bike without one. But from my experience of seeing James learn to balance on it and then just take off on a real two wheeler without having to break my back following him to help balance at first, it did absolutely teach him to balance a bike prior to getting a pedal bike. Training wheels do not teach you to balance, they teach you how to pedal a bike. You still have to learn to balance, not over correct, push off to start... My SIL had the exact same experience with her two boys learning to ride a bike early and easily after using a Strider for a couple of years. And they are just fun. Leo loves having a bike like the big kids. James loved when he was a little bit older riding it down the driveway balancing the entire way. 
    I should've chose better wording. I meant that if choosing between a balance bike and a tricycle, we chose the tricycle as Ethan will end up with a two wheeled bike with training wheels anyway.

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"