Infertility

People who don't like needles..

mariana81mariana81 member
edited July 2014 in Infertility
Hello!!
I haven't started my IVF cycle yet, but I don't like injections and needles, specially if I have to do it myself..  
So my question is... have anyone tried to use those "automatic injectors" also known as inject-ease? I have a friend that uses this for insulin shots, but I don't know if it is possible to be used on IVF medication...

Thank you!!!
TTC since May 2013, w/ RE since July 2014

Me: 33 Poor responder, Low AMH
DH: 32 Severe MFI 
09/2014 IVF #1 - Antagonist Protocol - 2 immature eggs
11/2014 IVF #2 - Micro Flare Lupron - 3 immature eggs
Please forgive my writing mistakes, english is my second language.
imageimage

Re: People who don't like needles..

• I haven't heard of the "automatic injectors" but you may be underestimating yourself.  With practice, I think you'll find the anticipation is often worse than the injection.  

You'll also need frequent blood draws from your clinic to monitor your hormone levels, and whatnot, so, I'm not sure its possible to avoid needles altogether when going through IVF.

If self-injections are your fear, you might consider asking your SO to do them.
    GL!

*** Ticker Warning ***

Me: 37, DH: 39, TTC 5 yrs

2013 summary: Diagnosed with Hypothyroid; Cervical polyp removed (benign); 
    2 rounds ovidrel with timed intercourse (no result): 3 rounds IUI with clomid + ovidrel (no result)
    2014 summary (to date):
    IVF cycle 1 - ER: 4/17 (28 follicles, 3 fertilized, 2 survived to day 3);
    ET: 4/20 (3rd day, 2 embryos - 1 @ 6 cells & 1 @ 4 cells); Beta 5/1 - BFP!; 
    1st scan 5/13 - development behind, no heartbeat detected; D&C 6/2; WTF 6/13
    IVF cycle 2 - BCP begun 7/12; stims w/ HGH begun 7/26; 
    ER: 8/6, 12 follicles, 7 fertilized w/ ICSI; ET: 8/11, 3 blastocysts left, 2 transferred, 3rd arrested 8/12 - none to freeze :'(
    1st beta 8/19 - BFP! 294; 2nd beta 8/26 - 4976; 1st u/s 9/2; 2nd u/s 9/9 - two little heartbeats at 140 each!!! 
    EDD: 29-April-2015
    Other Meds: Synthroid 100 mcg/daily

imageimageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • AMShark, yeah my biggest concern is the self-injection.. blood draws are not good but I can handle..  :)

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Many IVF drugs come in pre-loaded syringes, so auto-injectors wouldn't be an option for those. I would think you could probably use them for lupron and *maybe* Menopur? But honestly, your best bet is probably to have your SO do the shots. 

The anticipation is almost always worse than the shot. Except for Lovenox. Lovenox hurts like a m*therf*ck*r. :)
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    19-year history of endometriosis. Multiple surgeries and cyst removals. Forced directly into IVF due to blocked tubes and severe adhesions.
    IVF w/ICSI and CCS #1 - Dec 2013 - Only 1 normal. Ended in CP
    IVF w/ICSI and CCS #2, at CCRM - March 2014!
    14R, 12 ICSI'd, 11F, 6 for CCS, 5 healthy blasts frozen!
    Two 5BB blasts transferred 9/10; First beta 9/19: 109; second beta 9/22: 550!
    EDD: 5/29/15

imageimage

BabyFetus Ticker
  • @Marianass - Maybe ask your RE or call the pharmacy where you'll be getting your meds with this question.  I'm sure they must have heard it before.

*** Ticker Warning ***

Me: 37, DH: 39, TTC 5 yrs

2013 summary: Diagnosed with Hypothyroid; Cervical polyp removed (benign); 
    2 rounds ovidrel with timed intercourse (no result): 3 rounds IUI with clomid + ovidrel (no result)
    2014 summary (to date):
    IVF cycle 1 - ER: 4/17 (28 follicles, 3 fertilized, 2 survived to day 3);
    ET: 4/20 (3rd day, 2 embryos - 1 @ 6 cells & 1 @ 4 cells); Beta 5/1 - BFP!; 
    1st scan 5/13 - development behind, no heartbeat detected; D&C 6/2; WTF 6/13
    IVF cycle 2 - BCP begun 7/12; stims w/ HGH begun 7/26; 
    ER: 8/6, 12 follicles, 7 fertilized w/ ICSI; ET: 8/11, 3 blastocysts left, 2 transferred, 3rd arrested 8/12 - none to freeze :'(
    1st beta 8/19 - BFP! 294; 2nd beta 8/26 - 4976; 1st u/s 9/2; 2nd u/s 9/9 - two little heartbeats at 140 each!!! 
    EDD: 29-April-2015
    Other Meds: Synthroid 100 mcg/daily

imageimageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thank you all, now I really feel great and I will try to do it myself!!  :x

imageimage

• CML11CML11 member
    My DH just gave me my first injection. My anticipation was a million times worse. I iced it for a while prior and then closed my eyes while it wasn't bad at all. We'll see when we get into the nasty intramuscular ones though. :((
  • I'm terrified of needles! The fact that I have only one arm that they can draw blood from certainly doesn't help (and that vein is tiny and deep, and covered in scar tissue thanks to the fact that I get blood draws on the regular) but I've just found a way to get through it and try to distract myself while they're doing it.

I was so nervous the first time I gave myself a shot, but it's really not as bad as I thought it was going to be. It helped that the first one was sub-q and in a pen, rather than a big needle that needed to go into the muscle! The needles themselves don't generally hurt (as long as you're not gentle with them, since some of them are rather dull) but it's the medicine itself that can burn. You'll definitely be fine! Just take a deep breath, count to three, and jab away!

image imageimage

***EVERYONE WELCOME***
    TTC #2 with assistance since 03/11
    Me: 33, Autoimmune (Hashimotos and FMS/CFS)
    Treated with Synthroid, acupuncture, TCM and supplements
    DH: 33, MFI (very low on all counts, high antibodies, hemochromatosis)
    Many treatments tried, none successful

IVF/ICSI #1 05/14 - EPP/Antagonist, Gonal-F and Luveris, 18R, 14M, 13F - SET of 1BC, all arrested on day 5 - C/P
    Genetic testing = normal, DNA Frag = excellent
    IVF #2 03/15 - Long protocol with Suprefact, Gonal-F, and possibly Luveris, adding in PICSI

• marianass Add me to the list of people who are afraid of needles.  In fact, I have been known to pass out (involuntarily) after blood draws and IVs in the past.  So the idea of giving myself a shot and having to watch it go in was...  not pleasant.  I have my husband give me the shots if at all possible.  I have gotten to the point where I can do the little ones myself if I have to (ie. Lupron, Follistim).  The intramuscular ones, though...  No way.  My husband might be away for a few days prior to my upcoming FET and I am already trying to figure out if I can get someone else to give me the estrogen & progesterone shots if he can't.  How do you start that conversation, though?  "Hello, you used to be a nurse.  Do you mind giving me a shot in the butt while my husband's away??"  :))
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Me: 34, PCD (defective cilia in fallopian tubes), borderline thyroid

DH: 35, borderline morphology otherwise healthy

Married 7 yrs, TTC 3.5 yrs

7 IUIs in 2013: All BFN

IVF #1 w/ ICSI: 11/07/13 * 14 5 day embryos; 2 transferred * BFN

FET #1: 2/27/14 * 2 transferred * BFP! * U/S #2: No HB * D&E on 4/18/14

FET #2: 9/18/14 * 2 transferred * BFP!

1st beta (11dp5dt): 919 * 2nd beta (13dp5dt): 2097 * 3rd beta (19dt5dt): 13,689

1st U/S: Twins!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Desertrose27, I share your pain.. I was thinking the same thing.. I know a friend of a friend who is a nurse but I am still not sure how to ask LOL, my clinic is 30min away from home, now I am thinking that maybe is not too far to at least take these bad ones there.. :-S

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"