October 2013 Moms

Weaning to WCM? Milk alternative?

So, a while ago I was on the parenting board and there was a huge discussion about weaning to almond and/or coconut milk instead of whole cow's milk. I have since researched more about the A1 hormones and whatnot, and am still not completely satisfied / convinced to not wean to WCM when the time comes. Anyone out there feed their kids milk alternatives, and why? Other than MSPI issues, do you have other reasons for not giving cow's milk? What milk alternative do you use?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Welcome Daniel! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers image image image

Re: Weaning to WCM? Milk alternative?

• LC122LC122 member
    I asked my Pedi about this after hearing that one of DH's cousins didn't do cow's milk because she was avoiding "extra hormone exposure". He said nut milks did not have the same nutrition as cow's milk.

I've never really bought the "drinking another animal's milk" or "drinking milk as adults" ideas because there are plenty of things that humans do with/for food that other animals don't - farming, cooking, use tools, etc..
  • Loading the player...
  • ncase2ncase2 member
    @Jennlin - you're not crazy! I've been reading up on all that too. :)

Also, I just saw that rice milk is not recommended for kids because of arsenic exposure - do you think that would be the same for the ice cream?

I don't know that I would be able to give up cheese. I did that for 8 months because of MSPI, which he thankfully outgrew, but damn it was hard. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Welcome Daniel! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers image image image
  • I wanted to add--we don't go overboard on milk/dairy. Our 2.5 year old daughter gets a small (4 or 5 ounce) cup in the morning, maybe a sprinkle of cheese in her veggies at lunch, about 6 ounces of yogurt as a snack and another small cup of milk with dinner.
  • ncase2 said:
    @Jennlin - you're not crazy! I've been reading up on all that too. :)

Also, I just saw that rice milk is not recommended for kids because of arsenic exposure - do you think that would be the same for the ice cream?

I don't know that I would be able to give up cheese. I did that for 8 months because of MSPI, which he thankfully outgrew, but damn it was hard. 
    from my research a little over a year ago--it had something to do with naturally occurring arsenic, i think. and it wasn't enough to make a difference. rice absorbs more of the naturally occurring silicon (i think it was, that turns into arsenic like properties) than others, which is why rice milk gets a bad wrap.

i would bet rice milk/ice cream would be the same, when it comes to the above...

as for the fats, proteins, etc.. cow's milk is a good consistent source for it, but can be balanced out with proper diet. almond milk didn't have enough fat for my daughter, so our pedi suggested upping her olive oil intake, including mixing some in her almond milk. we also ate lots of meat for protein, and almond milk usually has more calcium and vitamin d than cow's milk.

• Lee81 said:
    Aren't humans also the only species drinking almond/rice/coconut milks? How is that any different from being the only species to drink another species' milk? I get it for people who are lactose intolerant, of course, or if you are vegan, but otherwise, why make the exception for cow's milk (assuming cruelty free/organic/etc).
    for me, it's because cow's milk was made for baby cows. almond milk is made out of whole almonds, blended, and strained, but essentially, it's just almonds and water. and we already consume almond and we consume water, so it's just mixing the two.

• jennlin said:

Lee81 said:

Aren't humans also the only species drinking almond/rice/coconut milks? How is that any different from being the only species to drink another species' milk? I get it for people who are lactose intolerant, of course, or if you are vegan, but otherwise, why make the exception for cow's milk (assuming cruelty free/organic/etc).

for me, it's because cow's milk was made for baby cows. almond milk is made out of whole almonds, blended, and strained, but essentially, it's just almonds and water. and we already consume almond and we consume water, so it's just mixing the two.

Also, baby cow nutritional needs are vastly different than baby needs. I see this argument more for being in favor of continuing bfing instead of weaning and switching to wcm, but I understand your point.
    *TTC since July 2010
    *BFP #1- 11/12/12, m/c 11/16/12 @ 6 weeks
    *BFP #2- 1/23/13 EDD 10/4/13  

*Emma Rose: 10/8/13

*BFP #3- EDD 03/9/16

March '16 December Siggy Challenge- Favorite Christmas Movie/Quote
  • Is there any reason why I can't continue to give formula (or BM for those still nursing) until LO is a fully weaned toddler eating real food? Is there any reason why he can't receive protein from a different source while still getting a healthy amount of dairy fat in the form of butter (without the casein and whey)?
  • ncase2ncase2 member
    @sooner1981‌ - do you have any concerns or research about growth hormones in dairy and early puberty? I thought I remember reading about that too, but I don't know all the medical research behind it. I thought it especially affected girls...?
  • Is there any reason why I can't continue to give formula (or BM for those still nursing) until LO is a fully weaned toddler eating real food? Is there any reason why he can't receive protein from a different source while still getting a healthy amount of dairy fat in the form of butter (without the casein and whey)?
    they have toddler formulas..but IMO, those are marketing gimmicks..formula is just cow's milk broken down for easier digestion, then extra nutrients added-- i don't remember..are you a MSPI momma on formula? i don't know if they have toddler nutrimigen formulas...they might.

and to answer part two, it's perfectly healthy and normal to bf toddler until they wean, and never give cow's milk. i only gave my dd almond/coconut milk while i was pregnant and had low supply..and after the bottles, she still wanted to "dry-nurse". milkwise, she's full-time boob. which sometimes means 3x's a day, sometimes mean 10x's. she refuses milk of any form out of a cup..(but will drink water, homemade smoothies from cups)

cow's milk is popular because it's an easy source of calcium, protein, and fat. you can achieve those with a balanced diet.

• jennlin said:

Is there any reason why I can't continue to give formula (or BM for those still nursing) until LO is a fully weaned toddler eating real food? Is there any reason why he can't receive protein from a different source while still getting a healthy amount of dairy fat in the form of butter (without the casein and whey)?

they have toddler formulas..but IMO, those are marketing gimmicks..formula is just cow's milk broken down for easier digestion, then extra nutrients added-- i don't remember..are you a MSPI momma on formula? i don't know if they have toddler nutrimigen formulas...they might.

I'm not, I just unfortunately had my boobs quit on me. My original plan was to BF for as long as possible and skip wcm altogether.
  • Oh and this isn't scientific or anything, but it explains why cow milk grosses me out pretty well. On top of the pus, there is also traces of blood in cow milk. YWIA.

https://foodmatters.tv/articles-1/how-many-pus-cells-are-in-your-milk
  • I'm not vegan so we do enjoy dairy- cheese, butter, yogurt. Mostly because we like it lol. I don't avoid all dairy. But I do limit it (and dairy is so $$$$ anyway). That's my rambling opinion.
    oh, and this. when i'm no longer nursing, i'm going to be #allaboutthecheese again, but i just won't be drinking milk as a beverage. before i found out about dd's milk intolerance, i was a regular milk drinker...i had one or two glasses a day, just because.

I'm not, I just unfortunately had my boobs quit on me. My original plan was to BF for as long as possible and skip wcm altogether.
    --

well if you want you can do toddler formulas after 1y. there's extra vitamins in there, but i would personally just try and get it from food. i don't know the price breakdown, but i imagine the toddler formula will be much more expensive than WCM. milk in general, whichever you choose, is just process to slowly wean baby from breastmilk/formula into solids anyway.

• For those curious about the nutritional breakdown, I took a photo of the nutritional content of coconut milk, almond milk, and formula to compare. Granted neither fully encompass all that formula has to offer, but coconut milk seems to be pretty close in terms of fat content and almond milk provides half the amount of protein (which would easily be made up for in other parts of the diet with solid food - we are talking a 1g difference) and a good portion of carbohydrates (again, easily accounted for with fruits and vegetables).

And just for funsies, here is the breakdown for one serving of WCM:

Admittedly, the serving size is larger by volume, so it would be up to you to do the math to determine how much your child actually needs.
  • This is a good article:

Http://www.parentingscience.com/benefits-of-milk.htm

It is an article that explores the potential costs and benefits of milk consumption from a scholarly perspective.
  • This is a good article:

Http://www.parentingscience.com/benefits-of-milk.htm

It is an article that explores the potential costs and benefits of milk consumption from a scholarly perspective.

The link is broken
  • @sooner1981 I think I found the article you were trying to link:

https://www.parentingscience.com/benefits-of-milk.html

I'm still not convinced and the pros do not outweigh the cons for me.

Not trying to convince anyone. We do organic cows milk because we think it is a valuable piece of an overall diverse, healthy toddler diet. But like I said in my first response, you certainly don't have to use it if you have other sources of the nutrients WCM provides.

Not trying to convince anyone. We do organic cows milk because we think it is a valuable piece of an overall diverse, healthy toddler diet. But like I said in my first response, you certainly don't have to use it if you have other sources of the nutrients WCM provides.
    I didn't mean convinced by you, but by the article. It was an interesting read though and touches on the type 1 diabetes link that @quartermisses mentioned.
  • We're planning on almond milk. We do local organic dairy but something about giving straight milk to him seems gross to me. We limit dairy in general.
  • good pun @huntjul

And I totally agree with you, the article really gets my goat.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• LOL! I never said it was accurate, but the propaganda worked on me. I'm too grossed out to drink milk.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"