Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Epic Diaper Rash - Help!

DD is 15.5 months old.  On Monday she all of a sudden had a bright diaper rash and since it came on so suddenly I decided to use a Lotrimin/Hydrocortisone mixture the pedi recommended when she had a rash due to antibiotics.  Tuesday morning it was 75% better.  Tuesday night it was horrendous again - bright red and irritated.  I used the Lotrimin mixture again and Wednesday morning there was one small blistered spot so I kept at it through lunch time - when the small spot was all of a sudden almost an inch long open sore/blister.  I took her in to the pedi because I was so worried.  He said yes it's bad but only a 5 on a scale of 1-10 that he's seen (who the hell would let their kid get worse than this I thought??).

So the pedi prescribed Nystatin which we've now been using for 24 hours.  I've been letting her go naked as much as possible (couldn't do much at DC today) to the point that she pooped and peed on her bedroom floor this morning - mommy fail.  I've stopped using wipes, only wet washcloth or rinsing in a bath, no soap.  The Nystatin has been slathered on before every new diaper and we've gone through half the tube already.  It just seems to be getting worse though and I feel awful for DD.  She screams and cries at every diaper change and even during naked time - it's like the air burns her.  I also did naked time twice during the night last night because DD woke up crying and her diaper was wet/poopy.

We're eliminating all fruits outside of bananas and apples but I can't think of any new foods that might be bothering her.  We've used the same diapers since she was born and the same lotions and wipes.  Anyone experienced this?  Anyone been prescribed Nystatin?  How long did it take to work?  

Re: Epic Diaper Rash - Help!

• Hi there. If you have been prescribed Nystatin,your pedi diagnosed your lo with a yeast infection. Yeast infections are fixed with dedication. Firstly, cleanse with water and cotton pads (makeup remover ones would work) or wash cloths. Let there be diaper free time and bathe lo at least once a day. Other than that you have to be dedicated to putting on the nystatin cream and use it sparingly, not slathered. Spread it past where the rash is and use it at least a few days after symptoms subside. Good luck! Also you can try apple cider vinegar and water baths which provide relief to the itching.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

BabyFetus Ticker
  • you can also add a generous cupful of white vinegar to your LO's bath. that has helped my DS when he's had yeast infections. lots of diaper-free time is great. once it's cleared up, you can sprinkle some cornstarch in your DD's diaper. it helps absorb some of the sweat and can keep it from recurring.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you everyone.  I'm going to start using the nystatin in thinner coats.  There was a little change this morning and DD didn't scream during her diaper change or naked time but the raw spots are still there.  I'm also going to do the vaseline on top of the nystatin, especially for nighttime diapers.  And I'm getting some white vinegar for her bathtime.  
  • One thing I find that works- and our dermatogist told us - is Maylox, like ant acide meds - liquid-  add it in a tupperware contaiener- I use the mint one for DD.  soak cotton balls and then throw them into teh diaper- helps with redness HUGE - almost as fast as next diaper change-- good luck !!!
    lolololo
  • Something that has worked for us in addition to the nystatin is Corona cream.  It's actually a veterinary cream, but it works FANTASTIC on diaper rashes and is completely safe.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • This wouldn't work to cure a yeast rash, but for a typical diaper rash/skin breakdown, I swear by stoma powder.

I am a nurse and we had a wound nurse give a presentation once and she said it was the best thing for diaper rash, and I can attest to it working wonderfully both professionally and personally.

DD gets gnarly red, open rashes when she's cutting teeth, and it is the only thing I've tried that clears it up quickly (often overnight!). I just spray some powder all over her bum, and by the next diaper change, she's much less red.

It may be difficult to find, but I assume pharmacies would carry it (maybe your pedi will write you a rx?), or maybe Walgreens. Amazon has it too, and this is the specific kind I use:

Anniversary g
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • When DD gets a rash on top of using the creams before bed to make sure her bottom stays dry (cremes being butt paste) We also use baby powder/corn starch.

I use normal baby powder and then bake the corn starch for 10-20 minutes at 300. It seems like a bit of work at first but it has worked WONDERS on any rash she has ever had! We pry the top off the baby powder and mix it all together. fill the bottle back up (slowly or you will have a powder cloud) and put the rest in a container as a back up when you run out! If you are a bit lazy and dont mind spending the money there is an arm and hamour powder typically found in the baby isle that is the exact same thing..but pricey!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"