Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Sleepy baby won't ever finish his bottle - then wakes every hour...

I'm having some trouble in the feeding department with my (almost) 8 week old. Two weeks ago he was going through a growth spurt and sleeping like a dream and eating (we are now formula feeding) sometimes up to 5.5 oz at a time. Now he has gone back to eating about 1oz or 2oz the sleeping, then awake not even an hour later to have another 1 or 2oz. This continues almost all day this way. When I say falls asleep, I mean asleep with no luck of waking him up and a trapdoor for a mouth-I can't even try to convince him to take any more.

Is this something he will grow out of and is this common behavior? Should I be more persistent in waking him up? It's getting to be very exhausting knowing that every time I feed him, I'll have to throw out the formula and make a new bottle an hour later. In the evening he at least sleeps 1.5 - 2.5 hours these days :(

Re: Sleepy baby won't ever finish his bottle - then wakes every hour...

• How long has it been since the growth spurt? A lot of babies will spend a day or two eating and then the same sleeping.

Tips to wake him up: undress him down to a diaper. Play with his earlobes and feet. Use a cool wash cloth on his back. Let him get a little worked up before you feed him to try andbwake him up more at the start.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Things we do to keep awake to finish a feeding: twist the bottle a little while in his mouth, start to slowly pull it out and he will suck it back in, stroke his cheek, blow gently towards his face/head, stop while he is still not yet drowsy or full for burp or diaper change to wake him up a little. Otherwise, it's not like you can make him eat.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I've tried almost every trick in the book-I just hope that he outgrows this as I wouldn't want to be doing this for months on end! I'd love to just feed him and put him down to sleep without having him wake up a short time later to finish the bottle. In many cases I need to make a new bottle and dump out the one he was last working on if it's been an hour or more..

Hoping this changes :s
  • My LO is 11 weeks this week, and she did this SAME exact thing for weeks. She started it when she was about 6 weeks old and is just now (this week) starting to take more than 2oz-! Everyone thought it was crazy my 6,7,8,9 10+ week old baby was only eating 2oz bottles. But it was literally ALL she would take. She would fall asleep and not take one more drop (past 2oz)! I tried everything too, and finally after about 2 weeks, just gave in and followed her lead.. its been exhausting, no doubt... bottles every 1-2 hours with1.5-2oz maximum.. she's been constantly hungry.. so hungry in fact, she would wake up screaming from hunger.. but still would not eat more! I wasted so much formula, trying to put 3oz in the bottle.. just to make sure she didn't want more than two.. and she would NEVER drink three.. sometimes we would only make it to 1.5 before she would fall asleep.

So...

I hate to give you bad news... But you might have to live like this for a while, days if you are lucky... but could be weeks. 

You will make it though it though, and LO will grow into another phase eventually and it will change.. hang in there, and just take baby's lead. Let him tell you how much he needs to eat, and when.. it might be hard for a bit, but, rest assured with babies, nothing stays the same for long. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"