Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Reflux and Sleep

My LO has reflux and is on Zantac for treatment. She is 6 weeks and has been on it for 3 weeks. I am BF and have cut out dairy as well. We are also burping a lot keeping and feeding upright, etc. my question is related to getting her to sleep. She is choking or gagging and uncomfortable unless she is sleeping upright on her stomach which means on us. We have tried the rock n play and bouncy seat. This is getting hard! Any suggestions?

Re: Reflux and Sleep

• There are wedges you can buy for their cribs to prop them up. We never used one but I looked into it for our baby. We just started Prevacid in addition to Zantac this week. You may need an increased dosage or maybe a different med.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Oy, OP, I feel your pain. We are in the same situation. We are still using the RnP at night (its not working, but who needs sleep anyways). But during the day, we've had success with a swing. A note, we've been on Zantac for 2 weeks and the frequency of the big, body rocking reflux episodes have gone down drastically. You might want to mention it to your dr if you feel like the Zantac is ineffective. I've heard there are alternative meds to try.
    //

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

::formerly csmith - regular/lurker since Nov13:: 
  • Loading the player...
  • I feel your pain:(  my daughter who is now six had it when she was a baby and it was so hard getting her to sleep comfortably!!  I did use a wedge and it seemed to help her...also as a side note make sure you keep an eye on when her reflux seems to get worse..i had to have her dosage upped every once in a while since it is all based on weight and the older she got the higher the dosage and as long as i stayed on top of that it seemed to work!! 
  • The wedge worked great for us with our first, as did sleeping on her tummy, even at night. Keep in mind that most medications don't take away the reflux, they get rid of enough acid that it isn't painful anymore. This means even with medication, the choking may continue, it just won't be painful.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Thank you all for your help. At this point I am just hoping she outgrows it quickly:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"