May 2014 Moms

Freezing pumped milk

Has anybody found a freezing solution they love? Our Lansinoh bags leak, even in the fridge, so I'm not crazy about freezing much milk in those. We used the Medela ones with DD1 for a short time and they were even worse. I'm not sure what to try... Bottles? Glass? Some other kind of bags?

Jess & Adam, married 2009, precious Audrey born in 2011. BFP 1/6/13, 6-wk MMC discovered at 9 wks 2/11/13. D&C 2/18/13, second D&C 4/23/13 for retained placenta.
BFP 8/24/13!! EDD 5/1/14, delivered healthy and sweet Zoey Leanne on 5/5/14 by repeat c-section.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Freezing pumped milk

• I've used both the Lansinoh and the Medela and hated both, I now use Up&Up (Target generic brand) and I love them!

I just learned today that plastic bottles can crack, so I'm not sure about those.

No advice on glass.

imageimageimage

• Ice Cube trays? It's what I've been using. Fits an oz then unto a big baggie.
  • Loading the player...
  • Glass will shatter when frozen as it can't expand with the liquid when freezing.
  • I've been using both. A friend recommended thawing in the fridge and using a Tupperware container... So that if it does leak, you can just dump the milk into the bottle. I haven't thawed any to speak to the leakage it non leakage.

Mrs. B's Ovulation Chart
    TTC Baby B since 10/2012
    BFP#1 12/27/12 II TWIN GIRLS II D&C 2/15/13 TRAP sequence

Clomid + TI + Acupuncture x 2 cycles

BFP#2 9/5/13 II EDD 5/16/14 II Beckett Ryan born May 10, 2014

Pardon the newb question but how did you sterilize the ice cube tray, if at all, before using it? Also is it just a regular open tray?
  • Yes and hot soapy wAter.
  • I use Ameda bags with no trouble
  • I have been using the Lansinoh bags, so I really hope they don't give me issues :-/
  • I love the up and up brand. And am using thegiftbag storage. You can find videos on you tube for getting the bags ready. My deep freeze now had order to all the best milk madness. .. its amazing!
    Anniversary 

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I used Lansinoh bags with DS and am using them again now. I find bags in general kind of a PITA to use but I've never had a leak with these and I haven't found anything else I like better. It's weird that everyone else says they're leaky. Maybe I just don't notice? :-??

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• britabbritab member
    I use the Kiinde system. No leaks! You pump directly into the bags and the bags pop onto a holder and nipple. Great for a lazy girl like me. You can read reviews on Amazon.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I use Ameda bags bc they are free through my insurance. No issues to speak of. Maybe one or two leaks. Likely user error.
  • Using the babies r us bags and no issues so far. Think I might try the ice cube trays, sounds genius!
  • I've had great luck with lansinoh bags. I got ameda bags from the hospital and they were horrible!
  • No help. I freeze in Medela bags last time and am again. I've never lost any milk. What didn't you like?

• Ah shoot! I've been freezing all my milk in medela bags for the past 2 months! :/
    I tried Lansinoh and it was hard for me to pour the milk into them for some reason.

Does anyone freeze in those little 2.5oz medela tubes?

I have used the small medela tubes but don't find they're very practical. But they seem to work well. Just wish they made then in 3-4oz increments.
  • danabsd said:

No help. I freeze in Medela bags last time and am again. I've never lost any milk. What didn't you like?

I had a really hard time getting the bags to close.

imageimageimage

• danabsd said:
    No help. I freeze in Medela bags last time and am again. I've never lost any milk. What didn't you like?

They split apart at the side seams while thawing and leaked. :(

Jess & Adam, married 2009, precious Audrey born in 2011. BFP 1/6/13, 6-wk MMC discovered at 9 wks 2/11/13. D&C 2/18/13, second D&C 4/23/13 for retained placenta.
    BFP 8/24/13!! EDD 5/1/14, delivered healthy and sweet Zoey Leanne on 5/5/14 by repeat c-section.

What do you do when you thaw them? DD already eats about 5 oz at a time, so I'd have to thaw several cubes together.

What do you do when you thaw them? DD already eats about 5 oz at a time, so I'd have to thaw several cubes together.

Haven't got that far lol. Haven't used any yet. Maybe just put into a glass and de thaw?
  • I use the medela bags and have really liked them in the past with ds 1. I am using them this time around with ds2 as well.
  • I use medela bags and have had no problem with them. They're just pricey. I'm thinking of switching to Kiinde after I run out. I like that system a lot.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"