Cloth Diapering

Workhorse vs. Prefolds

Hi everyone! I'm a FTM but I have spent many a moon researching and learning about cloth diapers. From lurking on this board (among other research) I have decided that we will likely be going with a cloth diaper and cover set up vs. AIO. I have a few opinion questions.

1. from the GMD website, do you find that the Cloth-eez Workhorse is worth the price? I love the convenience they look like the offer. I don't like that they're almost 3 times as much as a pre fold. 

2. What is your favorite cover (and I'm sorry if this has been asked a million times)? I'm leaning towards the Thirsties Duo Wraps with snaps but like the look of the Blueberry ones too.

3. I see from the FAQs on this board that pocket diapers are most popular. I don't see the appeal of these - what am I missing?

Thank you ladies!! Any thing else you'd like to add is appreciated as well!

Re: Workhorse vs. Prefolds

• That's all great info, thanks guys!!

• 1. During NB stage we did prefolds (and flats) with covers.  But we really liked doing workhorses at night.  I think they are worth the $$ b/c they are much cheaper than other fitteds and retain good resale value.  And they are much easier to put on at night when you are tired and don't want to do a prefold.  They are more expensive but we only got 6 as opposed to our  32 prefolds.

2. My personal favorite NB cover is Imagine NB.  They are very affordable and relatively good quality.

3. I don't do pocket diapers.  But it's my understanding that they are good for babies w/ wetness sensitivity b/c the liquids go through the layer of fabric that is next to their skin and soaks into whatever is stuffed inside the pocket.  So what is in contact w/ the skin stays dry.
  • Loading the player...
  • CLLDLLCLLDLL member
    1. LOVE workhorses. Totally worth the extra $ IMO. Don't get me wrong, I love prefolds too, but I think workhorses are easier for those not used to CD'ing, and I like them for those tired MOTN changes. Also they are great quality and hold their value really well.

2. NB/small I like Sweet Pea, Thirsties Duo and Bummis Super Brite. Med./OS I love my blueberry coveralls, but I also really like Sweet Pea, Thirsties Duo size 2, Grovia AI2 shells, and Best Bottoms.

3. I think pockets are so popular because they work a lot like a disposable diaper so they seem easier to newbies, daycares, etc. They also dry faster than all in ones and you can customize what you stuff with to get the right absorbency and fluffiness for your babe.

4. I highly recommend trying flats at some point. They seem really overwhelming when you are first starting out, but I really regret letting that stop me from trying them until my LO was a year old. They are so versatile, very customizable, truly one size, and crazy cheap. Plus if you buy some and hate them as diapers they can be pad folded and used to stuff pockets or lay in covers for a DIY all in two. Or they can be used for burp rags, cleaning rag, or dish towels.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• I just wanted to chime in as a person who likes pockets. The appeal for me is that they're easy to put on (especially good for DH) and easy to spray. I don't mind stuffing them, and having that step done ahead of time means I'm not wrestling a prefold and cover onto my wiggly toddler. Plus I can adjust the absorbency by adding an extra insert if I know we'll be out and about for longer than normal. I would still love CDing even without pockets, but they certainly are my go-to option.

• FifisMommyFifisMommy member
    edited July 2014
    1. Workhorses were by far our favorite newborn diaper - WH's made up the majority of our newborn stash but we also had AIO's & pockets. Worth every penny, IMO. Plus I sold them and made back a lot of what I paid for them...put that money towards more OS dipes. Win-win. 

2. We liked Thirsties covers - We had the old-applix (new applix is supposed to be better but we had no issues since we only used XS/size one for 5-6 weeks) as well as snaps. For newborn, I prefer applix to get the best fit.

3. I actually don't like pockets. I sold all of mine except for a few Alvas just because they were cheap and I liked the prints. We use all AIO's & AI2's and love them. I loathe stuffing pockets. LOATHE. ETA: Blueberry Simplex AIO's also have a pocket that you can add extra absorbency to, if needed. We've never needed it, but it's a nice feature to have. I like AI2's because I can add as little or as much absorbency as I want without stuffing. We use Best Bottoms and SoftBums (which is a true OS diaper-We were able to use these from day one and they go up to 35 lbs) AI2's and love both - Simplex, BG Freetimes & Elementals for AIO's. 
    i  d o  |  0 6 . 0 7 . 0 8
    s o p h i a  |  0 8 . 1 8 . 0 9 |  8  l b s  4  o z
    e m m y  |  0 2 . 1 1 . 1 4 |  8  l b s  1 0  o z
  • 1. I don't think so, but I have never used them. To me I just don't think a prefold is that hard to put on, so I dont see why you would pay 3 times as much for basically the same thing.

2. Assunta covers. Their tiny cover is sized like a thirsties 1, and the OS is like thirsties 2. I like them SO much more than thirsties. Sturdier, but stretchier, way better elastic. My favorite are the sandwich PUL the solid colors come in.

3. I am totally a prefold/cover lover, but have some pocket appreciation. When C was tiny, he was really sensitive to wetness and would break out in natural fibers if he was in it too long, and pockets were an easy way to have a stay-dry layer for naps/nighttime. We use pockets when we are away from home now because he hates diaper changes, and fights/tries to run away. It is that much easier to have one step on, instead of 2 or 3 with pf, snappi, cover. I tried AIOs, but prefer pockets for the customizable absorbency, and faster dry time. 
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I tried the workhorses. I got them for the ease of use, and just to try them. I then tried to keep them just for babysitters. Like MrsHudson said, I don't find prefolds all that hard to put on, but apparently getting a prefold/fitted tucked under the cover completely just wasn't going to happen with any of the babysitters.... and for going out I prefer a one step system (pocket/AIO), otherwise I'm constantly leaving covers/snappis everywhere. So I've destashed the few workhorses I had, and working on a different brand right now, I just can't justify the extra cost when for us, they just don't work for babysitters, going out, and I don't find prefolds challenging. 

Now the plan is to just have a prefolded flat in place of the workhorses for #2. And I get more diapers that way. 

I like covers. I have too many. I'm probably just getting what's cute now..... 

Pockets I save for babysitters and going out. The stuffing doesn't get old, but I don't have many to stuff at any given time. I probably wouldn't want my entire stash consisting of pockets... then it would get real old, real fast. 
  • freezorburnfreezorburn member
    edited July 2014
    1. I haven't tried workhorses but my sense is that they are an affordable, good quality fitted if you like fitteds. 

2. I have a few each of the Thirsties duo and Blueberry covers. I like them all. There's no rule that says you have to stick to one brand. The Blueberry has better coverage if I'm putting it over an ON fitted, but only by a little. 

3. I have a love/hate relationship with pockets. We had a lot of leaks the first year due to fit issues. But they are easy for other caregivers, and stuffed with flats they are an absolute necessity when we travel. Otherwise I prefer either our OS Simplex or prefolds.
  • Workhorses are my absolute favorite. They are almost all that we use. Prefolds were ok when she was younger, but I always liked the wh's better. The sizes cover quite a range, too.

Blueberries and Thirsties Duo's are my favorite covers. Bummi's sized covers are good, too.

I hate pockets. I have a few that I keep around for quick changes for grandma, but I never use them. I hate microfiber, they tend to leak, and I dislike stuffing.

Pregnancy Ticker

• I have a few workhorses but never use them. I thought fitted + wool would be my night time thing, but I like the stay dry, especially for night. I didn't have them for NB though, so no help there. I just used prefolds.

NB covers, I liked Thirsties and Bummis and some handmade covers. For one size, I like Nickis and just got grovia that I like.

Pockets are my go-to. They dry fast and I like the stay dry. I don't have a very diversified stash, since I wanted one main type for ease. I only send one brand for my mother who watches her when I work.
  • This was all really helpful! Thanks everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"