1st Trimester
Options

To do a triathlon or not?

lfdavis09lfdavis09 member
edited July 2014 in 1st Trimester
I am 5 weeks pregnant today with #1. It took a year to get pregnant. I met with my doctor for the first time yesterday since finding out I am pregnant. He advised against my triathlon scheduled for Sunday. I am a runner but relatively new to biking and swimming. I have heard most pregnant women are fine to do a tri. I am not high risk. I feel like I should obey my doctor but wanted to see if anyone else has been in the same situation.

Re: To do a triathlon or not?

• Options
    I started training about 5 weeks ago, so I wasn't actually pregnant yet. But it had only been a few weeks of training prior to getting pregnant, and it was light training. Swim is open water. Doctor said he's most concerned with running after swim and bike ride, even through I am used to running. Summers in Maine are generally hot and sticky too. You make a good point about swim, plus falling off bike worries me.
  • Options
    I am not used to backing out of a commitment like this so last minute. Plus a lot of people donated to my fundraising page (tri for a cure). But my main concern is having a healthy baby. I would not forgive myself on the off chance something happened.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses ladies! I appreciate the feedback. I am going to listen to my doctor and sit this one out.
  • Options
    I did a sprint distance tri when I was pregnant with my first. I had a ton of early symptoms and took a couple tests the 2 days before but both were negative. I got the positive test 2 days after. I found that I was out of breath so the run didn't go as well as I had hoped. But I was getting out of breath walking upstairs at my house too. Weird symptom! I have it this time too but didn't with my second.
  • Options
    I'm doing a tri in September and my OB said her only concern is falling during the ride. She asked me to just take it easy. No racing. If I'm going to do it then I should go into it just wanting to finish, not to PR.
    Mommy to Trey (7/15/04), Lennon (2/22/08), Charlie (6/24/10), and Samuel (10/26/12) BabyFetus Ticker ExerciseMilestone image image image
  • Options
    Glad you are deciding not to.  I've done tons and tons of tris and I always get roughed up a bit in the swim. I would be more concerned about this than the bike or run.  Even if you take it easy it's risky. Plus, if you've been trying for a while.
  • Options
    Although, if the swim is a pool swim then you would be less likely to get kicked.  Then I would consider it but only to do it slow and to just finish.
  • Options
    I used to do tris and I know a lot of people that would still train while pregnant but competing is a different ball game. I know from experience about getting kicked and punched and for sure a bike crash is possible not to mention even mild dehydration by the time you are done. I would say, listen to your dr.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"