Potty Training

What age to correct?

My 4 year old is the master of not going potty, when he obviously does, because he doesn't want to take away from his fun.
Example: we went to a park for July 4th. We noticed that he was holding himself, typically a clear cut sign that he needs to go, and asked him if he needed to go. We asked twice. Both times, he said no.  We walk over to our sitting area to set up.  Mind you, it's not a horribly short walk, and it's 93 degrees outside with blistering sun. The second we get to our spot, he says he needs to go right now.  Having JUST asked him literally 4 minutes ago, I felt a little frustrated. I didn't say so, but I wondered why he hadn't gone when I had just asked him.
He has also had accidents less than 10 minutes after asking if he had to go. 
Sometimes, I'll make him go, but then I'm not even sure I should be doing that.

What age do you correct that? I don't want to discourage him, because he does good with going, but it's those times that he waits too long, or makes us get side tracked to let him go. It wouldn't be so frustrating if I wasn't also carrying a 4 month old around I'm sure.
  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Andrew Karol-4/10/2010
Jase Eli-3/10/14

Re: What age to correct?

• I'm just beginning adventures in potty training with DD, but I know from caring for other children that it always best to not give them a choice at a "fun" event.  For example, I took my nephew to fireworks and we all were in line to use the restroom before the show.  He kept insisting that he was fine, but we told him he had to go in the restroom regardless and try.  That seems to work with him!  Also, I know my pre-k students that I have worked with often need to be told and reminded to at least try when they insist that they are fine (while doing the "I gotta go dance" or holding themselves). I'm sure your LO is one of the many kids who would rather wait until the last minute to make it to the rest room, rather than stop having fun!  That must be so tough having another LO to juggle with while also having to redirect your son.  Good luck!
  • There's a Daniel Tiger episode about potty training and they sing a song "Stop!  And go right away!  Flush, and wash, and be on your way!"  I would sing that with DD when she went through a phase of not wanting to stop playing and I could tell she had to go.  That helped us tremendously when we had that setback.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"