Cloth Diapering

Any idea why my BG 4.0 are leaking?

Everyday my son has a leak but I can't figure out how to solve the problem...

The leak is quite unique too. He almost always leaks at the leg hole on his right leg. I can't remember seeing a leak anywhere else.

I use both microfiber inserts that the BG 4.0 came with. I've removed the infant and replaced it with a hemp insert.

I just don't get it.

Today I looked at the inserts... Only the front half of the microfiber and the front half of the hemp was even wet. The back part was still fluffy dry.

Could it be how I snap them on? I try I ensure it's symmetrical. Could it be too tight? Too loose? He's on the middle rise and I snap 4 snaps in on both sides. I've tried 3 snaps in but it seems too loose in the front (when she's sitting up the diaper pops out and you can see way down into his diaper).

So annoying.DH never ceases to remind me how CD was my idea and was such a big upfront investment. Ugh!

Re: Any idea why my BG 4.0 are leaking?

• Sounds like theres a leg gap. BGs need to be tight. You might be on a rise too big.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Since your inserts aren't soaked, it sounds like a fit issue. You don't have to snap them symmetrically...just do what gets the best fit. You definitely don't want any gaps. @CLLDLL is our gap-advice queen, but in case she's working today, I'll share her wisdom with you. When you snap the diaper on, while baby is still laying down, lift his feet toward his head. There should be no gaps around the thighs at all. You may need to play with the rise a little bit. It's not unheard of to go up a rise snap and then back down again in a few weeks. Or BG's may just not fit your LO very well for a little while. (Personally we've gone through months at a time when I just couldn't get our BGs to fit leak-free.) Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • If your ticker is correct (and your LO is under 4 months old) I would try the smallest rise setting instead of the middle rise.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The right leg? I had a problem on one of my BGs where the leg elastics on one side relaxed more than the other. How do the elastics look when you lay the diaper flat?
  • They're all brand new BG and it happens consistently for each diaper so I know it's not the elastics.  My other thought is that by habit I snap his left side and then I snap the right.  I must be doing something slightly different when I snap the right.  But it's so subtle... i've examined his diapers when I've noticed a leak and it looks fine.  I do know that the label is on the right and often the label is soaked... but so is that stretchy white material that the snaps are attached to.  The left white stretchy fabric is often bone dry. 

It's so annoying.

I'm going to try the change the rise back to the low rise to see if that helps.  I actually originally went from low to middle rise in an effort to solve the leak problem... that was a few weeks ago and I don't think it made a difference. 

I'm definitely mindful of the gaps in his leg, I always move his legs around and check around the thigh for any openings and it's always pretty snug. 

Could it be because of that label? 
  • TJ1979TJ1979 member
    Shouldn't be. Mine don't leak and have a label.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • km_mdkm_md member
    Hmm.. Did you try snapping the right side first just to see what happens? And I don't have a boy so excuse the dumb question but could it have anything to do with how he is positioned in the diaper?

Maybe if you took a picture of the diaper on him to show the board someone would be able to suggest other fit options?

Sorry I'm not of any more help!

• Agree with PP -  a picture of him in the diaper would help for everyone to look at.  Also, you said you're snapping 4 in on each side, so does that mean there are 4 open snaps in the middle?  I snapped our BG's to the middle snaps (so as tight as they can snap) until DD was at least 10 or 12 months old.  She isn't a chubby baby, but isn't super skinny either.  The waist snaps being too loose can make the leg holes too big...
  • Here are some pics. Phone will only let me post one at a time or the app keeps crashing so I'll do one pic per post...

Here is where the leaks occur. I circled them since it's hard to see the wetness lol. Normally it's only on the left (his right leg) but today I tried small rise and this happened. He was wearing the diaper for about 90 min. The inserts were wet in the front but dry near his bum
  • Here's a pic of just the leaked diaper before I changed him out of it
  • Ooh it let me do 2 pics! Here's how a med rise would fit
  • Here's how small rise would fit. Don't mind the red marks... He just scratched himself while flailing
  • And here's if I did 4 snaps over on one side and 3 snaps on the other side.
  • Are you pointing his penis down?
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • Are you pointing his penis down?

I try to. I even tried pointing it down and to the other side haha
  • Do you notice the leaks more when he has on a onesie? I found with DS that we often had problems with onesies b/c they pulled against the crotch enough to create compression leaks.

• currently that's all he wears is onesies haha. I'm thinking compression leaks? Since half the insert (back end) is still dry? I thought hemp would resolve that?
  • Yes, I would try putting him in something that doesn't snap at the crotch, leaving the onesie open, or going up a size to see if it continues to happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"