May 2014 Moms

10 week old constantly needs to be moving!

I'm looking for advice or experience with this. DD is 10 weeks today and for a while now has only been content being held facing out and walking around. She'll tolerate sitting for a short time leaned up against my raised knees while I talk to her, or being laid down and talked to. But again, these are short lived and then it's time to get up and move! We spend about 75% of our day just pacing around the house or outside. 

I'm all about giving her the stimulation she needs to aid her development, but I can do that with lots of different activities, and sometimes a girl just wants to sit and relax! I wish I had a baby who would be content to just sit and cuddle once in a while. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it a phase or am I just blessed with a curious and active baby? 

My main concern is being able to go places with her where I can't be up and walking around with her the whole time- like a restaurant, the beach, or just with friends so I can sit and be part of the conversation. Is the ability to sit still and be content something that they can learn as a baby? And when and how do you start? Would it be cruel or futile to pick a few minutes each day to just sit with her and let her cry a little in the hopes that she'll eventually be ok with sitting for a little while? (I don't subscribe to CIO, but does it count if you're still holding them?)

Sorry if this got a little rambly, I'm just trying not to break my kid this early in the game!
BFP#1 8/3/12~EDD 4/1/13~Natural M/C 9/1/12-9w6d 
BFP#2 5/30/13~EDD 2/3/14~Confirmed CP 5/31/13
7/12/13 Hysteroscopy & Lap Lysis of Adhesions
1st Cycle on Clomid Aug '13: BFP#3 8/24/13~EDD 5/3/14
Hoping Third Time's a Charm!!- IT'S A GIRL!!!! 
KAYLIE MARIE IS HERE! BORN 5/4/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie - (nUwf)

All AL-ers welcome in my posts! <3

Re: 10 week old constantly needs to be moving!

• My DD is almost 10wks and I find that when we're at home she also likes to be active and moving. She'll hang out while she's eating but usually within a few minutes after she wants to be doing something else. I put her in her bouncer, put her on her play mat. I find she's even good just chilling in her crib for 5 to 10 minutes sometimes. I have to take her on walks every day because I feel like she gets bored in the house (but maybe I am just projecting on her).

Happily, even though she doesn't like to just sit still at home she is very good when we go out. I think it's because we're somewhere new and there's lots for her to take in. If she's in her stroller or car seat while we're out and she starts to fuss, we pick her up and she's totally fine just being held. So maybe your LO would be the same.
  • Loading the player...
  • ns1ns1 member
    7 week old and same here. We bounce, walk, swing, but don't sit still. Sometimes I have luck walking around with DS in the carrier and waiting for him to fall asleep. Then I typically have to pat his back or bounce while sitting to make it through in public. But we don't go out a lot to be honest, but we have a toddler so we've given into this lifestyle a little.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm in this club too. DD is 9 weeks. I feel like I spend all day trying to entertain her. I try to take her out in public (risking a crying session which typically happens) and on a walk daily. I find the stimulation helps her to sleep a bit better at night.
  • An exercise ball was a big help for my DD. I could be sitting but the bouncing and movement was just what she wanted. Talked with her doc about her not being content and crying quite often so he suggested eliminating dairy from my diet. It's been almost two weeks and I have a completely different baby. She is way more content than she ever was. Will just hang out in her bouncy chair or cuddle in my arms. It's very challenging looking at all the labels and not enjoying dairy products but it's been way worth it!
  • HallilHallil member
    I tell my friends "Everything is a phase. EVERYTHING!!! Good, bad, or otherwise, it's all a phase." Some phases last longer than others, but once these babes are getting more mobile they won't want to be held. And it's hard to imagine now, but it's not that far away.

So I say in the mean time, wear the baby, use swings, car rides, BOUNCY BALLS!! Whatever you need.

And seriously, the exercise ball is a life saver in my house with a ring sling. Wear the baby, bounce on the ball, and get all kinds of work done on my computer. Win win win.
  • 9 weeks and this is us as well. If you stop moving the hands start shaking and then comes the crying. She still does it in public so one of us is always on the move. I just feel blessed to have DH to pass off to sometimes. She loves going places and seeing things but like PP said if you, the car, or stroller stop it's not going to be pretty. I feel she is starting to be okay being put down and talked to for longer but I dread when I go back to work. I know DC won't be able to keep her on the move and I fear she will cry all day.
  • Have you tried a vibrating chair? Might trick your LO into thinking she is moving.
  • Agreed my lo is always on her best behavior w company and while out. Over stimmed to the max and usually sleeps well that night
  • Yep. I just now do lots of activities is on his mat. Keep him busy. He usually just sleeps when we're out and about (except when we stop at stop lights or I'm at a check out). He will also sit in his chair in his dad's office talking and moving about. If he's awake and not eating he's doing something!
  • @sticky11‌ I have taken her out. She'll do ok in the stroller as long as we're walking. If we stop moving she starts fussing.

Yesterday we had a party with family at a restaurant and she wouldn't sit there either. There were balloons, a DJ playing music, lots of lights, she still needed to be held and walking. At least there were plenty of people to pass her around and we had a private room, but obviously that won't always be the case.

@danagmauro‌ she always sleeps well at night, probably because she is so active during the day. I realize this is a good thing, I just wish I could accomplish this in a way that doesn't require me to be on my feet ALL day.
    BFP#1 8/3/12~EDD 4/1/13~Natural M/C 9/1/12-9w6d 
    BFP#2 5/30/13~EDD 2/3/14~Confirmed CP 5/31/13
    7/12/13 Hysteroscopy & Lap Lysis of Adhesions
    1st Cycle on Clomid Aug '13: BFP#3 8/24/13~EDD 5/3/14
    Hoping Third Time's a Charm!!- IT'S A GIRL!!!! 
    KAYLIE MARIE IS HERE! BORN 5/4/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie - (nUwf)

All AL-ers welcome in my posts! <3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"