May 2014 Moms
Options

Feeding

Ftm here with probably a very rediculous question. My lo is now on simolac Alimentum because she was pretty fussy throughout the day with the other formulas we tried and we found out she is allergic to soy. She has only had 2oz so far with this new formula but the cost of the formula is freaking me out. Anyone have suggestions of formulas that helped your fussy lo's? I want to use the Alimentum as a last resort. Sorry if this is confusing!

Re: Feeding

• Options
    I am in the same boat. We tried regular Similac, then sensitive and soy, and she has been doing well on Alimentum for the past 4 weeks. I tried to get the formula covered through the pharmacy benefit of my insurance but they denied it. Another bumpie told me that most people have luck getting it covered under the Durable Medical Equipment policy in your health insurance. I called a medical supply company and they do all the work to try to get it covered for you. They got it approved by my insurance and got a prescription from her doctor. We will now pay $74 per month for 12 cans (that are usually $30 each). Definitely worth a shot! It was lots of phone calls and following up but it paid off for me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    lauralou3x3lauralou3x3 member
    edited July 2014
    ^^yay!
    I tried Alimentum and wasn't a fit for us, she was still very gassy. I now use Gerber Good Start Soothe. It's way cheaper and works better for my girl! And it doesn't smell. I've heard nothing but great things about the Good Start! Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks again @lauralou3x3‌! Hope they will cover yours too! :)

• Options
    @chillypenguin‌ sure thing! I can't find a medical supply company that carries the Gerber. Luckily it's not as expensive.
  • Options
    @lauralou3x3‌ nice name btw... my name is Laura ;) I know you said your baby does well with the gerber soothe but does your baby fuss in between bottles?
  • Options
    @bridetobe9132013‌ not since on this formula, no. She has colic and reflux. I never considered her colicky because she fusses and not cries but her doctor said all babies show pain and discomfort differently. She would fuss and grunt because she has extreme gas and had a hard time pushing out her farts. She was also constipated on most formulas. First we tried regular Enfamil, too gassy and constipated. Then we tried Similac Sensitive, too gassy and constipated. Then we tried Nutramigen (Enfamil version of Alimentum) she got non stop poops and bloody stools, then Alimentum. Alimentum was the best before the Gerber but I still didn't feel like we had a good fit. Tried the Gerber and it's def the best so far. She's pooping regularly and her gas is way down (so her fussing is too). She still has gas but it's more of a normal amount, doesn't grunt like she used to. She def seems more comfortable. Still spits up a lot but has on all formulas, but it's part of her reflux. I've read a lot of people didn't have good luck with Enfamil or Similac but had good luck with Gerber.
  • Options
    Also, the first bottle of Alimentum I gave her, she vomited the whole thing up. She took forever to drink each bottle too, I don't think she liked the taste. She drinks the Gerber much faster.
  • Options
    My sister has a 9 month old and the Gerber soothe was the best fit for her son also. Would it be bad for me to give her these two small sample cans of alimentum and then move to our two sample cans of the gerber soothe? How long was it before you noticed your lo feeling better? Thanks for all the info btw :) being a mom is harder than I expected!
  • Options
    @bridetobe9132013‌ I don't think it would be bad. I asked the pedi if it was bad for her to keep switching since we've tried 5, and he said no. She started feeling better pretty soon, can't remember exactly. It's weird bc last night she had a really gassy night which she hasn't had in a long time, I think she knew that I was saying she's felt better haha.

And you're welcome! I'm a FTM so I'm still learning every day. You're right, it can be hard. So many things to learn!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"