March 2014 Moms
Options

DS is only in the 11th percentile for weight at 4 months. 11lbs 13oz. Kind of worried. Thoughts?

He is 26 inches long 85th percentile. And his head circumference is in the 80s too. At two months he was in 32 percentile for weight. He is exclusively breastfed. Pretty happy baby. Holds head up and rolls constantly. Loves to stand too. Would you be worried with weight? His pedi wants us to do a weight check at 5 months.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: DS is only in the 11th percentile for weight at 4 months. 11lbs 13oz. Kind of worried. Thoughts?

• Options
    My LO is slowly going down percentiles for weight, but doc isn't concerned unless he jumps down suddenly.
    We do monthly visits anyway, so an appointment at 5 months wouldn't scare me.
    He was 95th% at birth, slowly down to about 50th%. Doc is NOT worried as my other two kids are tall and thin.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think the charts must be different for different places b/c my boys were 12 lb and 12 lb 2 oz at 4 months and their % were 3% and 5%.
    Both boys are EBF and my pedi wasn't worried, didn't even suggest a weight check.

the way I look at it, someone's gotta bring up the rear :)
    Sounds like your LO is doing fine too.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic&nImage and video hosting by TinyPic bsp;center;"
    >Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I wouldn't worry.
    Me 28 DH 30 Married 08-11-07 TTC since 07/11 HSG 01-21-13 Left FTB Seeing RE 1-28-13 RE 1-28-13 Both tubes blocked LAP surgery 2-15-13 Both tubes removed Started IVF #1 June 2013 Meds: BCP, Lupron, Gonal-F, Ovidrel, Medrol, Doxycycline
    Beta #1-BFP!!! HCG-55 Beta #2--111 Beta #3--2,825 Beta #4 22,031 1st U/S 7-29-13 Saw and heard our little sweet pea's heartbeat!! 109 bpm 

• Options
    ntdanentdane member
    Lol @YankeePeach08‌, mine will be bringing up the rear with yours. I was excited when Owen broke 10 lbs at 4 months.

OP, it's good to pay attention to the weights to make sure it's not a drastic trend, but as long as your LO is happy, having enough wet/dirty diapers, and is meeting milestones I wouldn't be too worried.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    jrw526jrw526 member
    If you're pedi isn't concerned, then you don't need to be concerned.  DS is now 3 and has always been in the 5th percentile for weight and 50th for height.  He has been following his curve, he's just going to be a skinny kid like his dad.  Somebody will always be in the 1st percentile and the 99th, that's why it's a bell curve.

• Options
    Is baby getting distracted while nursing? between 3-6 months they start to look around more so eat a bit less, if this is going on just try to get a few extra feeds in a quiet spot. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options
    fish8412fish8412 member
    edited July 2014
    Don't worry!! EBF. My LO was 9 lbs 10 oz (10th percentile) and 21.25 inches (5th percentile) at her 2 month check up. Pedi was not worried because LO was small at birth and her growth was very steady. Pedi said the percentiles are not very important and people get too caught up on them. Growth is more important. 4 month check up is next week.
  • Options
    If it makes you feel better my kid isn't even 10 lbs at 5 months. Though obviously I'm going to have a smaller one, though he isn't even on the DS charts. The only reason we have been so obsessed with weight is because he was first supposed to get big for surgery nd then he wasn't gaining even with a 27 cal diet so they worried about malabsorption. My pedi has no worry about it but we bc frequent weight checks just to make sure nothing changes.
  • Options
    I don't think the percentage matters so much as long as the baby is staying along the percentage curve. If your pedi isn't worried, then it's okay.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    nlane0723 said:

If you're ped isn't concerned, you shouldn't be concerned.

This.
    Don't fret
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I'm in the same boat as you. LO is very long but his weight has been near the bottom of the growth charts so we also had to go for extra weight checks. Just to let you know what happened with us. At 2 months LO was 11th percentile and then at 3 months we went for a weight check and his weight had dropped to 3rd percentile. So his pedi made use top him up with formula after each feed (he was EBF).
    Your LO being in the 11th percentile I would not be too concerned. In my opinion not every baby has to be chubby
  • Options
    AlikiAliki member
    @Stowne101 What percentile was LO at birth? You mention he was at 32nd percentile at 2 months, so it does look like he hasn't hit his growth spurt in weight yet if he's at 11th percentile, but if pedi isn't worried, don't worry! I think hitting milestones is way more important.

And as a scientist, I'll restate that the only thing those percentiles are for is to give you an idea of the range of possibilities for any given age: someone has to be at the 1st percentile, just as someone has to be at the 99th percentile, and both ends are OK! 

Some LOs are small and some LOs are big, and they are all great!

My mini rant is that sometimes pedis give you crap no matter which end you are on, it's like a "grass is greener" phenomenon with them! Do they feel like they have to "fix" everything and move everyone to the exact middle/average? If you bring a small LO in, they tell you to supplement, and if you bring a large LO in, they start talking diet (when they are older)! Geez....
    TTC #1 since 2007. Dx: Unexplained infertility. 4 IUIs in 2008 = BFN. IVF #1 07/09. DD #1 born April 2010 (40w5d).
    TTC #2 since 2011. Dx: Endometriosis and hypothyroidism. 2 FETs in 2012, BFP 6/12 but m/c @ 7 weeks. IVF #2 06/13. DD #2  born March 2014 (40w1d).
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Stowne101Stowne101 member
    edited July 2014
    I didn't read any of the responses or your original post The title of the post is too long I was already annoyed by that. My response to the title of the post- ask your doctor and change the title

@wisconsincheese12 FEEL FREE NOT TO READ OR ANSWER THEN!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My LO was 8lbs 11oz at her 4 month check up :-S. She has been less than 1 percentile since birth. We have been told to gain 20oz in 4 weeks to get to 10lbs by 5 months. We just have to call the weight in, so he doesn't seem too worried. FYI, she was a preemie. EBF, but now have to supplement with formula. If she doesn't meet that we have to go in to talk about solids. I'm not worried, I was tiny as a baby and she's meeting all the development milestones.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @Blonderedhead781‌ i am more concerned that he has dropped from 32 % to 11%
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @lovethatdirtywater‌ well doctor was concerned enough that she wants me to do a weight check at 5 months. She didn't really know what to think, that is why I am curious if others are in this situation
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    we came in at 10 lbs 12.9 ounces at 3 mo appt... No one is worried (except me) because she's still on the same curve, just down at the 10th percentile.  However - I do feel as though I get disapproving looks when I have her out and about, b/c people always think she's younger than she is b/c she is so small...
  • Options
    Well my DS is in the 1% for weight and about 30% for height. He was born at a normal weight 7lbs 15oz. He kept dropping percentiles until he was not even on the charts at 6 months. He is now in the 1-3% range at 2.5 years old. We had to do monthly weight checks for the longest time. Nothing is wrong and he is following his own 1% curve. The drs are no longer worried.
    baby 2Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    kenwright said:

I do feel as though I get disapproving looks when I have her out and about, b/c people always think she's younger than she is b/c she is so small...

I get those looks, too. Luckily the most audacious strangers usually say something. "Ooh so young and already outside. She must have just popped out..." So you can say, nope, she's 4 months old. (Always round up for maximum f-you effect.) :D
  • Options
    AlikiAliki member
    kenwright said:
    we came in at 10 lbs 12.9 ounces at 3 mo appt... No one is worried (except me) because she's still on the same curve, just down at the 10th percentile.  However - I do feel as though I get disapproving looks when I have her out and about, b/c people always think she's younger than she is b/c she is so small...
    The grass isn't greener on the other side. We're at the other end of the spectrum, well past 99th percentile (she's around 17 lb 10 oz and she turns 4 months next week), so I get the pity looks when I have her out and about, b/c people always think she's much older than she is, and the poor thing, she can't even sit up on her own yet, and she must be, what, 9 months old or something...?

I had the same problem with DD1-- people would say judgy things like "she doesn't talk yet?" Well, no, she doesn't, because she's not 2 years old despite wearing 2T, she's only 9 months old, idiot.
    TTC #1 since 2007. Dx: Unexplained infertility. 4 IUIs in 2008 = BFN. IVF #1 07/09. DD #1 born April 2010 (40w5d).
    TTC #2 since 2011. Dx: Endometriosis and hypothyroidism. 2 FETs in 2012, BFP 6/12 but m/c @ 7 weeks. IVF #2 06/13. DD #2  born March 2014 (40w1d).
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    nlane0723 said:

If you're ped isn't concerned, you shouldn't be concerned.

This.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   image

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Kari~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    I'm glad you posted this because this happened to me today. My DS has dropped from the 25th percentile to the 12th. He's 13.6 at 4 months. My older son was 22lbs at 6 months. Different dads I suppose. My pedi also mentioned supplementing and a weight check at 5 months. I'm going to spend the next week trying to increase my supply and I won't supplement unless he drops percentile again next weight check. He's doing all the things he's supposed to and he's very long. I'm going to try not to worry. ;) ha

Pregnancy Ticker

10 year old boy - April 13th 2003
    MMC Feb 20th - May 20th finished naturally
    BFP on July 25th 2013 LMP June 28th 2013

• Options
    My lo's head was in the 12% at his 2 month and is now in the 42%. My doctor said As long as they are growing, that's what counts. Just wait, I bet she jumps up there for her next one. And if not, that's okay too!
  • Options
    @Mandyw75‌ my DS is long too. He's very active and spends his days rolling around. He is happy. I'm doing the same thing feeding as frequently as I can.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"